Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 06:44 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
A subset of crime is crime no matter how you want to defend it.

Lol at despite murders and shootings. Less policing isn’t going to make this or whatever crime you want to rationalize better.
I'm not excusing murders of course. But the narrative you seem to be putting together is BLM turned the city into the wild west, and people are fleeing for their lives. That's just manifestly untrue.

Looking at the Post-Gazette's murder map, I count 25 of the 44 murders in the county taking place in the City of Pittsburgh. At current rates we'd have around 60 murders by the end of the year, which be on the high side of recent history, but not historically so.

Out of that 25, 24 are black. With a few exceptions, they're in the exact locations you'd expect - heavily concentrated in Greater Homewood, with most of the rest in historically black or transitioning neighborhoods. It's sad to say, but this just isn't something which impacts White Pittsburgh in any particular way.

If I would hazard a guess, I'd say Gainey's positioning on the police helped him a lot in white neighborhoods, but the messaging about being "left behind" regarding city development was more resonant in black Pittsburgh. Outside of a handful of pockets (parts of the Hill District, East Liberty, Larimer, and now a little bit of Homewood by the Busway) black Pittsburgh is basically being left to fall apart.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 06:58 AM

Found this image online. Not complete, but it gives you an idea of who won what:

Edit: Here's the e-day vote, where Peduto got killed by people voting for Gainey (and Moreno)

Last edited by eschaton; 05-19-2021 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 06:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Outside of a handful of pockets (parts of the Hill District, East Liberty, Larimer, and now a little bit of Homewood by the Busway) black Pittsburgh is basically being left to fall apart.
Or being deliberately targeted to be destroyed by gentrification - like the Middle Hill and Uptown are by the BRT system and the civic arena development.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:05 AM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
Quote:
Found this image online. Not complete, but it gives you an idea of who won what:
You are the data visualization guru - thanks! I am a little shocked at the strength of Peduto's support in the South Hills and West End. To your point about his lacking work habits, I have heard the same from people who've worked in City Hall. Also, he was very peevish and temperamental especially with people he thought were "less than he".

Old 05-19-2021, 07:10 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
I'm not excusing murders of course. But the narrative you seem to be putting together is BLM turned the city into the wild west, and people are fleeing for their lives. That's just manifestly untrue.

Looking at the Post-Gazette's murder map, I count 25 of the 44 murders in the county taking place in the City of Pittsburgh. At current rates we'd have around 60 murders by the end of the year, which be on the high side of recent history, but not historically so.

Out of that 25, 24 are black. With a few exceptions, they're in the exact locations you'd expect - heavily concentrated in Greater Homewood, with most of the rest in historically black or transitioning neighborhoods. It's sad to say, but this just isn't something which impacts White Pittsburgh in any particular way.

If I would hazard a guess, I'd say Gainey's positioning on the police helped him a lot in white neighborhoods, but the messaging about being "left behind" regarding city development was more resonant in black Pittsburgh. Outside of a handful of pockets (parts of the Hill District, East Liberty, Larimer, and now a little bit of Homewood by the Busway) black Pittsburgh is basically being left to fall apart.
Nope, never said that or insinuated it. I said BLM is a violent group that simply lives to protest.

BLM does nothing for an area. They have no intentions of cleaning up neighborhoods, trying to stop crime, or trying to make it better, and they’re not going to do that with Gainey.

Right, on the high side. How is less policing going to help with that?

Old 05-19-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
You are the data visualization guru - thanks! I am a little shocked at the strength of his support in the South Hills and West End.
I think it was more or less "by default" due to support from the machine? As I said upthread, I think Moreno was just too Trumpy to get that many votes in these areas - and Gainey would never have much luck in these zones. I think if a Jack Wagner type had run instead of Moreno we could have seen Peduto collapse down to say 25% of the vote and not really carry much of anywhere outside of the super-rich zones of the city.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 AM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
Quote:
I think it was more or less "by default" due to support from the machine? As I said upthread, I think Moreno was just too Trumpy to get that many votes in these areas - and Gainey would never have much luck in these zones. I think if a Jack Wagner type had run instead of Moreno we could have seen Peduto collapse down to say 25% of the vote and not really carry much of anywhere outside of the super-rich zones of the city.
Makes sense.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Right, on the high side. How is less policing going to help with that?
How does policing stop murders? I mean, detectives investigate murders of course, and apprehend suspects, but how does that stop more from happening (beyond those that the suspect might have later done)?

My general understanding from things I have read is in black neighborhoods among those likely to get in trouble with the law, whether or not you get caught is looked at as something kinda like the weather - something that just can't be predicted and comes down upon you randomly. There is no real understanding of cause/effect, because of how frequently crimes are either unsolved, the wrong person is targeted, or someone with an unrelated warrant out against them ends up getting picked up. Policing is just seen as...arbitrary.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:27 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
people seem to think they are claivoyant. give gainey a damn chance, for starters.

And Peduto was not NEARLY the inept politico detractors make him out to be. Why he gets to the CC Bldg late - who knows. maybe he rolls out of bed and does emails and phone calls for a few hours to use his time optimally.

I am independent, so voted for the referendii (?) but not in the primary, of course. I still say our leader is who he is - come together and be for a better city, not for or against a single person.

as for the prognostication that there will be some chaos and anarchy and whatnot - we've already seen it here in isolated incidents. if it hasn't gotten to Portland levels thus far, it just wont at all (yes, in Portland its a tiny section of the city, not the entire city, but still not acceptable).

and - its still not proven Gainey is crooked. He can't micromanage every little aspect of a campaign. Come on - there is ALWAYS opportunity for someone, somewhere to try to extort or steal. Maybe this is what happened and he was just totally ignorant of it. I dont know what any contractors are doing when they are working in neighbors' houses during the neighbors are at work. You can only assume and hope they are honest.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:29 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
How does policing stop murders? I mean, detectives investigate murders of course, and apprehend suspects, but how does that stop more from happening (beyond those that the suspect might have later done)?

My general understanding from things I have read is in black neighborhoods among those likely to get in trouble with the law, whether or not you get caught is looked at as something kinda like the weather - something that just can't be predicted and comes down upon you randomly. There is no real understanding of cause/effect, because of how frequently crimes are either unsolved, the wrong person is targeted, or someone with an unrelated warrant out against them ends up getting picked up. Policing is just seen as...arbitrary.
You don’t think when the cats are away the mice will play even more? You don’t think criminals don’t know that less police means less response, response time, if at all?

I’d wager things will get worse way before they get better, and I’d wager crime will spread...and let’s not forget the no traffic stop idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh