Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 06:46 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
Why not? I used to live in Weirton and commuted to Robinson and/or Downtown for work and that was 5 days a week. Admittedly, if I was a student in downtown I might not want to make that drive every day but I guess it would depend on my course schedule but ultimately that is not a bad drive. From Weirton anyway - no way in hell would I live in the cesspool that is Steubenville.
Parking in Oakland is actually significantly harder than Downtown, from what I understand. Which isn't that surprising, considering Greater Oakland has basically half as many jobs as Downtown but significantly less parking. And there's absolutely no way a first-year Pitt grad student would be given access to one of the Pitt lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 09:02 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
Why not? I used to live in Weirton and commuted to Robinson and/or Downtown for work and that was 5 days a week. Admittedly, if I was a student in downtown I might not want to make that drive every day but I guess it would depend on my course schedule but ultimately that is not a bad drive. From Weirton anyway - no way in hell would I live in the cesspool that is Steubenville.

You gotta be kidding. A coupla things, you commuted from there to Robinson AND OR downtown? ummm... those two commutes are way different. and this would be to Oakland, worse commute even than to downtown. Depending on times of day, it would be minimum 45 minutes each way, and at rush hour times it would be more than an hour each way. why would you recommend that to someone when they could live somewhere closer, and much more lively? that's really bad advice. just my humble opinion of course.

If the OP wants non city living, they could probably get 1200/month in many surrounding areas that are much closer. for city living, maybe Bloomfield or something like that. I'm sure there is stuff available in Oakland for that price but it's probably very student slummy so be careful.

Last edited by _Buster; 06-04-2021 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-05-2021, 06:22 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
What about Monroeville?

Old 06-06-2021, 08:51 PM

170 posts, read 476,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Getting a job teaching English in PA in a public high school is very difficult. PA teachers are some of the highest paid in the USA and there is intense competition for the few openings that come about. You also say that your son's GF will attend graduate school at Pitt. Will she be a full time student and if so how can she also work as a teacher?
I’m not sure. I’ll need to ask her.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:55 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I’m going to direct my so n to my post so he can read your answers. They are looking at a rental home on Edgebrook Ave zip code 15226. Is that area ok?

Old 06-07-2021, 04:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissyliz View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I’m going to direct my so n to my post so he can read your answers. They are looking at a rental home on Edgebrook Ave zip code 15226. Is that area ok?
That is the Brookline neighborhood within the city. Brookline is fine. Safe. I work for the city police, and the majority of calls I take for Brookline are things like package thefts ("porch pirates"); hit & runs; people breaking into unlocked cars to steal things; etc. Violent crime is rare in Brookline.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:26 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That is the Brookline neighborhood within the city. Brookline is fine. Safe. I work for the city police, and the majority of calls I take for Brookline are things like package thefts ("porch pirates"); hit & runs; people breaking into unlocked cars to steal things; etc. Violent crime is rare in Brookline.
This is all correct. I would note though that Brookline is not the most ideal neighborhood in the city if you want to use transit to get to Oakland, as you'd need to take the 39 to Downtown and then get a transfer. It's doable - still a lot better than driving and trying to find somewhere to park - but it would be a lot less hassle to find someone to rent in the East End...and you can find a lot of one bedrooms in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside at that price.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you so much! Looks like they are getting a rental house. Thanks to all who commented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh