Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 12:28 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
U.S. combat deaths from all wars starting with the American Revolution = 666,441. Covid-19 deaths as of right now (according to Worldometer) = 628,513.

well there ya go. lets go bomb someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 05:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Yes, of course. Not sure what race has to do with anything?
Statistical analysis on every subject is very important if you want to fix issues of any kind. Living in the real world can be unsettling to some, but it is the first step in correcting issues. Race is a statistic. Sadly the most selfish people will be singled out when the dust settles. Education is key.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
U.S. combat deaths from all wars starting with the American Revolution = 666,441. Covid-19 deaths as of right now (according to Worldometer) = 628,513.
Well this is a statistic and I like them, but it is a wildly off one. Why? The dead in wars were mostly young healthy men. The deaths with Covid are mostly very unhealthy and very old. That is a huge difference.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well this is a statistic and I like them, but it is a wildly off one. Why? The dead in wars were mostly young healthy men. The deaths with Covid are mostly very unhealthy and very old. That is a huge difference.
Quote:
but it is a wildly off one?
Sorry, I didn't initiate the conversation, just corrected wrong numbers. Dead is dead, don't know how that is a huge difference. The Covid-19 dead I know were not unhealthy and very old.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
that is a point well taken. If covid happened in nature. it did not. it was futzed with in china because we signed an agreement with russia not to futz with things like this, so you dont violate the letter of the law by using others works. someone, somewhere, owes somebody something

Old 07-31-2021, 07:10 AM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Well now, you've proven that your screen name is a lie -- you are not retired in PA, as apparently you are still doing Putin's work very well. Congrats!

Clarification - Retired -- I came at you pretty hard the other today because some of the commentary in your post got under my skin. So, definitely right to bring up the lab leak theory -- it is credible and being investigated, and definitely right to bring up any US-based funding that may have flowed to the lab; however, when you attempt to link these two things to agreements between the US and Russia, I get the sense that you are, either knowingly or unknowingly, spreading Russian state propaganda.

Last edited by Doowlle34; 07-31-2021 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: add clarification

Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't initiate the conversation, just corrected wrong numbers. Dead is dead, don't know how that is a huge difference. The Covid-19 dead I know were not unhealthy and very old.
The concept in public health is known as life years lost.

So lets go with 666,000 dead soldiers and lets say conservatively they all had 40 more years to live if they hadnt died in war. 666k x 40 = 26,640,000 life years lost.
Lets go with 666,000 COVID dead and say they all had 10 more years to live if they hadnt died from COVID.. 666k x 20 = 13,320,000 life years lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Well now, you've proven that your screen name is a lie -- you are not retired in PA, as apparently you are still doing Putin's work very well. Congrats!

Clarification - Retired -- I came at you pretty hard the other today because some of the commentary in your post got under my skin. So, definitely right to bring up the lab leak theory -- it is credible and being investigated, and definitely right to bring up any US-based funding that may have flowed to the lab; however, when you attempt to link these two things to agreements between the US and Russia, I get the sense that you are, either knowingly or unknowingly, spreading Russian state propaganda.
Are you going to report him to the FBI as an unregistered foreign agent?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WptlIruczS0

Old 07-31-2021, 08:11 AM

I dunno - aren't the FBI and DOJ a little busy right now investigating and prosecuting all the unregistered foreign agents that were buzzing around the Trump Admin.?

Seriously though, you're no fan of Putin. So, can we imagine a retired fellow who gets caught up in conspiracy theories (with some elements of potential truth, i.e., lab leak) that are being spun, in part, from Russian state actors. And then this fellow, who is certainly no dummy, but (perhaps) like all of us, doesn't know what he doesn't know, starts spouting these theories on internet forums. "Free" speech, certainly (but I guess you get what you pay for in this regard)?

Last edited by Doowlle34; 07-31-2021 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: add clever-sounding parenthetical

Old 07-31-2021, 10:39 AM

I think what concerns me is the "linking" of those agreements with the current pandemic. Now, if you are well-versed in such agreements, and you, on your own, thought to link the two -- then, well done you sir. However, if you read about this from a third party source, I would be concerned that any attempt to "link" the two things, which, independently, are true, is quite possibly, part of a Russian disinformation campaign.

It also seems odd (for an American) to call out the US for alleged violations of bioweapons agreements, without also mentioning that (apparently) the Russians have also been accused of similar violations (at least in the context of chemical weapons):

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47446223

Of course, as most things, this circles back to Trump as well, as it has echoes of his we're "not so innocent" comment when asked about Putin. While undoubtedly true on one level, it is an incredibly odd (and concerning) response from an American President.

Last edited by Yac; 08-01-2021 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: added link; distinguish chemical and bioweapons; get in a lick at Trump

Old 07-31-2021, 10:56 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Statistical analysis on every subject is very important if you want to fix issues of any kind. Living in the real world can be unsettling to some, but it is the first step in correcting issues. Race is a statistic. Sadly the most selfish people will be singled out when the dust settles. Education is key.

I also think people named Steve that don't get the vax are morons.

As are women who wear brown shoes.

And people who drive Chevy Trailblazers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh