Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:33 AM

807 posts, read 617,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
well, this also has to do with what "side" this person is coming from. there is at least one "left" person here who does exactly the same, and it never becomes a dumpster fire. this person is never called out for what are emotional comments, just opinion and not facts, and (s)he has free reign.

i am not saying gg hasn't been ridiculous at times. i have had my own bs comments posted out of frustration or anger. i was suspended maybe 3x in 10 years. but there is definitely a double standard.
From my perspective, I don't think the concern with this poster flowed from which "side" they were on, and I do think the non-ridiculous posts were the exception, rather than the rule.

Of course, I probably shouldn't let the poster take up so much headspace, but it was a unique window into a certain kind of mentality. I also refer you to Thomas Edsall's most recent piece in the Nytimes which traces Trump support, in part, to folks who have a high degree of animus toward "democratic-affiliated groups" -- e.g., minorities, immigrants, etc. etc. I couldn't help thinking of this poster (who frequently touted the fact that he/she had previously supported democrats) when reading this column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 06:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Since I figured out how to “mute” posters, my stress level has gone down and I don’t bother to engage with the worst offenders anymore.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:28 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
... I also refer you to Thomas Edsall's most recent piece in the Nytimes which traces Trump support, in part, to folks who have a high degree of animus toward "democratic-affiliated groups" -- e.g., minorities, immigrants, etc. etc. I couldn't help thinking of this poster (who frequently touted the fact that he/she had previously supported democrats) when reading this column.

talking about that - its so incredibly crazy, if not scary. the latest i heard was a substitute teacher (i forget - somehwere in the eastern suburbs) who was found to have schemed on a takeover of the capital (sp) building. he had a lego (TM) model of the building for reference.

a teacher. of children. planning a takeover of the most powerful body in the world.

i mean, these people are troubling. not all conservatives are for Trump or want to be associated with these goons, though (I hope so, anyway).

Old 07-08-2021, 12:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
talking about that - its so incredibly crazy, if not scary. the latest i heard was a substitute teacher (i forget - somehwere in the eastern suburbs) who was found to have schemed on a takeover of the capital (sp) building. he had a lego (TM) model of the building for reference.

a teacher. of children. planning a takeover of the most powerful body in the world.

i mean, these people are troubling. not all conservatives are for Trump or want to be associated with these goons, though (I hope so, anyway).
Northern suburbs, scary stuff.
https://triblive.com/local/feds-glen...militia-notes/

Old 07-08-2021, 03:34 PM

408 posts, read 231,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Since I figured out how to “mute” posters, my stress level has gone down and I don’t bother to engage with the worst offenders anymore.
While this is true, we’re a forum that provides information. Too many trolls / individuals that bring the forum to a negative place which doesn’t promote good discussion. I’m all for turning the “Cheek” and ignoring problems but at the same time we’re sorta allowing it to happen.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:24 PM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Maybe it's quiet because some of the more troll-like members were also anti-vaxx, and they're now among the statistics?

Old 07-10-2021, 01:28 PM

1,913 posts, read 739,234 times
As a public service here, don't count on your vaccine if you have kids or are around the public. My nephew, his wife and father in law, all went down with covid 2 weeks ago.All were fully vaccinated. They were very sick, but not enough to be hospitalized. Their 12 year old daughter brought it home from summer camp. All 3 kids got it too.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:03 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
As a public service here, don't count on your vaccine if you have kids or are around the public. My nephew, his wife and father in law, all went down with covid 2 weeks ago.All were fully vaccinated. They were very sick, but not enough to be hospitalized. Their 12 year old daughter brought it home from summer camp. All 3 kids got it too.
was or IS it the 'variant', though?

*eye roll* on this damn virus. I hope your relatives get better, reggie.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:14 PM

1,913 posts, read 739,234 times
Quote:

They don't regularly test for variants so I can't be sure.

The 12 year old got sick on Father's day after arriving home from camp the day before. They went down one after the other over the next 36 hours. The kids weren't vaccinated. All the adults were. The unvaccinated 14 year old was the sickest and had a very high fever at one point. The next sickest was the 60 year old father in law, then the 35 year old mom. The least affected was the 2 year old, but she had symptoms for 10 days. They were all sick between 10 and 14 days.

They live in Florida which is just starting a delta variant wave, as is California. Watch those states to see what will happen here.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:14 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:

*eye roll* all you want, but the vaccination likely saved everyone's lives in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh