Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 01:44 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
At that age my son loved the carnegie science center. This is also a good time when on the north shore https://www.ventureoutdoors.org/kayak-pittsburgh/ my son also liked the water steps https://riverlifepgh.org/riverfront-...e-water-steps/
Yes, we went to the Science Center two years ago. I thought about going back this year but saw at some exhibits (like the rope course) were still closed and others were going to be more socially distanced. That place is so hands-on, I think it makes more sense to wait until another trip before we return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 05:13 PM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times
Drive to Kennywood. Spend the day.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Drive to Kennywood. Spend the day.
I'd love too, that was the original plan behind spending a few days this time (that and buying pointe shoes for my 13 year old.) I am not sure the weather is going to work out for us though on Sunday or Monday.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:23 AM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'd love too, that was the original plan behind spending a few days this time (that and buying pointe shoes for my 13 year old.) I am not sure the weather is going to work out for us though on Sunday or Monday.
The weather is always good at Kennywood.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 AM

Update:

We had a great trip. One day was not enough time to tour Carnegie Arts/Natural History. I was blown away by the amount and quality of the exhibits. We ended up getting a quick lunch on Craig St., UniqueEats I think was called, and spent the rest of the day in the museum.

We spent Day 2 at the Aviary in the morning. I had forgotten that as impressive and immersive as it is, it is only about a 2-3 hour attraction unless you buy all the add-ons, which meant we had 1/2 the day free and chose to go over to the Strip District to shop. My wife always brings her cooler to Pittsburgh (just in case ), so we loaded up on goodies to take home and had amazing Polish Kielbasa from a little hole-in-the-wall market between 23 and 24th St for lunch.

In the end, we didn't attempt Kennywood because of the price relative to the risk of rain. Maybe next trip.

My kids had an amazing time. My oldest loved Oakland and may be a Pitt Panther or Carnegie..uh...Melon(?) in a few years. The urban campus was very much her style. Both loved the Strip District and the diversity of stores/peoples/food and the vibrancy of the market. We live in a small city/big town and can't get that here. As always the food was great everywhere whether it was carry-out Italian/Greek, UniqueEats, or the Strip District offerings.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, it was all very helpful.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:51 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Carnegie Mellon (long ago called Carnegie Tech - fun fact).

Glad you had a great time!

edit - i am curious as to what small city/big town you are from. you probably do not know that when Pittsburgh was struggling for some identity in the 1990s and afterwards, people would resort to saying just that - we are a small city/big town, etc. I honestly do not think we are a "big town". but i think a "small big city" is apropos, if that terminology makes sense.

have a great rest of the summer - in fact, come back for another visit!

Old 07-13-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Carnegie Mellon (long ago called Carnegie Tech - fun fact).

Glad you had a great time!

edit - i am curious as to what small city/big town you are from. you probably do not know that when Pittsburgh was struggling for some identity in the 1990s and afterwards, people would resort to saying just that - we are a small city/big town, etc. I honestly do not think we are a "big town". but i think a "small big city" is apropos, if that terminology makes sense.

have a great rest of the summer - in fact, come back for another visit!
Cumberland, MD, so right on the edge of your TV/media market. I have been visiting every few years since I was a kid. Pittsburgh competes out here with D.C. and Baltimore as the closest "big city." I like Pittsburgh because it does feel like a "big town" in some places and a significant city with historic and modern money coming in (Oakland neighborhood shows this off) in others.

I call Cumberland a "small city" because we are right at the population point to sustain small art galleries, museums, multiple neighborhoods with their own character, and are a destination ourselves for rural areas around us. Obviously "city" means something different when you get to the scale of Pittsburgh.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:05 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
i do like western maryland! i think the east side of the state is beautiful (inner harbor, Annapolis, etc.)

but garret county, Fredneck - i mean, Frederick and even downtown Hagerstown is very nice.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i do like western maryland! i think the east side of the state is beautiful (inner harbor, Annapolis, etc.)

but garret county, Fredneck - i mean, Frederick and even downtown Hagerstown is very nice.
Next time you are in the area, consider spending a night in the "other" Allegany County. Cumberland and surroundings are good a few days of fun, longer if you use it as a base of operations for day trips to outdoor type recreation.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:20 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I have to say I never spent any time in Cumberland, but Hagerstown kinda feels like a mini-Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh