Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,131 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum and you all have been very helpful. I am moving to Pittsburgh to attend grad school at Pitt. From what I have read, I should live in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill which are both too expensive for my budget. So, I am looking at Bloomfield and Friendship. Could you recommend landlords and how much should I expect to spend realistically on rent?
I am also looking at frequency of buses and safety as I am a single woman and will be coming home very late at times from the library.
I saw an apt right by West Penn hospital. Is that area safe? What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
This isn't a direct answer to your questions, but I wanted to note you might also look at Highland Park and Regent Square/Park Place. Both of those areas are popular among grad students looking for nice, safe, and more affordable alternatives to Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, and both have regular bus service to Oakland.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks. I will keep those in mind.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Why not Oakland? As you get further and further from the school you have to think about all the time you'll waste. Oakland is cheaper than both Shadyside and SH.

Also, since you are on a budget have you thought about renting a room? Sharing a house/large apartment is pretty popular for graduate students in the area.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Why not Oakland? As you get further and further from the school you have to think about all the time you'll waste. Oakland is cheaper than both Shadyside and SH.

Also, since you are on a budget have you thought about renting a room? Sharing a house/large apartment is pretty popular for graduate students in the area.
If I could find something nice in Oakland, I would live there. I would rather not have a roommate my first year because I have been living on my own for a while. I am going to have to adjust to a new city, and medical school after working for a few years, I would rather avoid an adjustment of a roommate also.
Do you think I can get a decent apartment with heat under 650?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
Do you think I can get a decent apartment with heat under 650?
I had a 1-bedroom in Oakland with all utilities paid for $600 4 years ago. It wasn't the best apartment but it was "decent", I think you should be able to find something below $650 easily. Just stay away from South Oakland, its filled with undergrads.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I had a 1-bedroom in Oakland with all utilities paid for $600 4 years ago. It wasn't the best apartment but it was "decent", I think you should be able to find something below $650 easily. Just stay away from South Oakland, its filled with undergrads.
Thanks for the info. I will probably fly in in a couple of weeks to look around.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 AM

158 posts, read 527,184 times
I rented a decent apartment in Shadyside for 600 with heat included. Now I rent a two bedroom in the best section of shadyside for 700. You CAN find good deals here, but as for anywhere, if you'd rather count out sside and sqhill, I recommend a walkabout for writing down phone numbers from rent signs. That way you can rent from individuals rather than rental companies (better, in my experience), and you can find the best deals--with a moderate amount of phone-calling and comparison. It does take a bit of time, but you soon realize that what you pay is only relatively proportional to what you get. If you can make the time, take a walking tour in a chosen neighborhood with a pencil and notebook and cell phone.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,928 times
Help! Please Help! Need Immediate Apartment or Efficiency near West Penn Hospital. Please contact [mod]posting your phone number here is not the wisest move. If anyone can help, please send a direct message to this user[/mod]. Posted August 16,2008, @ 7:32p.m.

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2009 at 04:52 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Try Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh