U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,704,357 times

Advertisements

kdka.com - AutoVantage Survey Ranks Pittsburgh As Having Most Courteous Drivers (http://kdka.com/autos/road.rage.survey.2.723990.html - broken link)

As someone that moved here from Florida, the road rage capital of the U.S., I do agree with this survey. Pittsburgh drivers are certainly the most polite that I have ever seen. To a fault.

They are TOO polite, and often do ridiculous things on the road. Just yesterday, I was driving behind some woman in light traffic, moving comfortably at the speed limit, when she decided to come to a complete stop in the middle of the road to let someone make a left turn in front of her from the opposite lane. Are you freaking kidding me!?!??

And I've seen countless instances of traffic backups caused be some "polite" person stopped to wave several cars through from different directions while traffic backs up for blocks behind them.

Then throw in the fact that many people drive 5-10 mph below the speed limit, and this truly is the weirdest and most frustrating place to drive I've ever been.

Question to long-time Pittsburghers: Why on earth do "yunz" drive like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM

136 posts, read 160,496 times
I hate when people decide they should have the authority to direct traffic.

I don't drive like that. I'm always 5-15 above the speed limit and I believe the left lane is for passing and higher speeds. I know the Parkway is limited on lanes...but if you're going to go 5-10 under please do it in the right lane(s).

I can't speak why a lot of people drive like this but it could have something to do with the amount of elderly drivers in the Pittsburgh region.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,047,194 times
People in Pittsburgh HAVE to be courteous or traffic simply would not move. The city's streets are planned very poorly for whatever reason. There are many turns you simply can't make when there is traffic unless someone is courteous, the people that live in the city realize this and let them go.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM

269 posts, read 992,560 times
I moved here from Florida. I received more middle fingers in my 1st day here than in the 8 years I was gone. I also gave more.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM

136 posts, read 160,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
I moved here from Florida. I received more middle fingers in my 1st day here than in the 8 years I was gone. I also gave more.
Maybe you picked up some of Florida's bad driving habits. After all, Miami was ranked the worst on the list

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM

2,337 posts, read 7,684,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghcleak View Post
Maybe you picked up some of Florida's bad driving habits. After all, Miami was ranked the worst on the list
Yeah I lived in Miami for 6 years....driving here is a pleasure compared to driving down there.

I will admit that my driving habits have changed for the worse though. In Miami, I got very used to "nudging" my way into traffic ("Oh you don't want to let me in? I'll just keep inching and eventually you will give in because you are afraid I'll hit you!"). Thankfully Pittsburgh drivers don't put up a fight and it usually goes over quite well

Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,392,066 times
Yep, I agree that Pittsburgh drivers can actually be too courteous in situations where it is unwarranted, causing unnecessary problems for other drivers. And although this isn't really relevant, I still don't understand why people here hit the brakes both going into a tunnel and coming out of a tunnel.

That said, it is nice when I am doing things like merging in congestion and I am watching cars just alternate without a lot of fuss, which is both courteous and efficient.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 AM

299 posts, read 991,658 times
Really?

... no, really?

If I had a nickel for every time another a-hole driver made a left hand turn across traffic, cutting off my right of way, I could have retired at 23.

And don't get my starting about driving on the area highways. Hello, ever heard of yielding the left hand lane to faster moving traffic? As soon as you cross the state line into Ohio, THEN you see some courteous highway drivers!!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM

125 posts, read 392,717 times
Quote:
If I had a nickel for every time another a-hole driver made a left hand turn across traffic, cutting off my right of way, I could have retired at 23.
I'm going to have to agree with Humanoid in saying that sometimes these people simply can't make these turns unless someone lets them or unless they try to gun it before opposing traffic starts.
It's nice that when you're going through the Fort Pitt tunnels in the morning that people let you merge on without it getting too out of control.
However, I had a grown man threaten to fight me while driving up the the stop light before the Liberty Tunnels. He had cut in front of me (even though both lanes go through the tunnel), and I held up my hands in a "wtf" fashion (did not give the finger, though), and he stopped suddenly (not at the light), and then yelled out his window to me, a 24 year old girl, asking if I wanted to fight him. While that is obviously the exception to the rule (since I remember it enough to write it here), clearly not everyone here is curteous

Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,392,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasia View Post
Hello, ever heard of yielding the left hand lane to faster moving traffic?
I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is "no", meaning I think a lot of people in Pittsburgh are blissfully ignorant of this rule. Personally, if it was up to me I would put flashing signs to this effect on all the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh