Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 08:27 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So much anger, so much hopelessness, so much rage.
i refuse to buy into it. everyone enjoys, it seems, moments when they can look bad a$$ and "tell off" someone (that is how we used to say it - i dont know what the current term is to 'tell off' someone).

people need that moment of power and superiority for affirmation.

edit after reading a more recent post of yours, green_mariner:

i agree, its conditioning and socialization, but not entirely. i do feel everything is based in large part on personal choices. but the 'conditioning' (if that is the word you used) - yep, i agree.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:35 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
One can choose to change behaviors---either immediately or over time through practice and perseverance.

When I first moved to Marshall-Shadeland in 2020 I immediately ran out and bought flower planters to hang over our front chain-link fence railing to beautify our otherwise drab façade. Immediately the neighbors on each side of us warned us that we should consider putting these flower planters elsewhere because we are "in the hood". "Hood" is a state of mind. Period. Marshall-Shadeland was (still is?) only "the hood" because enough people decide to ACT "hood". If more people drop the "hood"/"tough" act, then the neighborhood can evolve and improve over time (without having to gentrify in the process). I make a concerted effort to greet most I pass on the streets in an effort to let them know they are being seen/observed and to let them know that they matter enough in life to SOMEONE ELSE for them to be acknowledged via a pleasantry.

I have begun picking up litter almost everyday after work and on weekends. I have collected contractor bag after contractor bag filled with litter and debris from Brighton Road, California Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Woods Run Avenue, Woodland Avenue, Shadeland Avenue, Superior Avenue, and surrounding streets. It has taken me months, but now I am FINALLY starting to notice a small difference in that it is taking longer for blocks I have already cleaned to look messy again and I can cover progressively more and more real estate on foot before my contractor bag is full. I like to hope and think that as more and more pedestrians and motorists are noticing me out there more regularly and more frequently that SOME (not all) are choosing to either not litter as frequently or just to not litter in my neighborhood (and instead litter in more affluent Brighton Heights across the bridge---haha).

Oh, and those flower planters? Still there. Still untouched. Two years later.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:39 AM

1,913 posts, read 739,234 times
Quote:
Wrong. Violent people are raised and socialized to be violent. Most of the Black on Black murders in the ghettos are based on....

1) Gang activity
2) Anger (the "Disrespect me and you die" mentality). Alot of murders take place during arguments.

The "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality drives this. If you're trying to argue that Black people are genetically defective and inherently prone to being violent, you can go somewhere else with that.
Wrong. Psychopaths form the gang activity. Other budding psychopaths are attracted to it.

Within 10 years, anyone who gets that diagnosis will get a brain implant to correct it. Watch the video. There will be implant enforced peace on our streets so it won't matter if they continue to reproduce.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i agree, its conditioning and socialization, but not entirely. i do feel everything is based in large part on personal choices. but the 'conditioning' (if that is the word you used) - yep, i agree.
A lot of conditioning comes from leaders. Most people want to be led and that is a fact of life, so leaders can have a lot of influence on people. This New Democratic Party has been hell with the lid off. They divided us up like it was nothing. They also created this victimization platform the created one heck of a lot of hate. Look at how the young democrats look at older people. That is unprecedented in society how horrible they are to the older set. They blame Boomers relentlessly for their own shortcomings. Very ugly look. They divided us up by race like we are living in the 60's or before! Look what they did to us! Sick really. Again, most people want to be led. Look at Fetterman's ads. All just attacking Oz and where he is from. Is it a crime to come from New Jersey now? Guess it is according to the Democratic Party. I haven't seen Oz's ads to be honest. Have to look them up, but I am hoping he just states his ideas for PA and policies. If he does that, he will lose anyway, but at least he has some class. Fetterman has NO class at all. He approves those ads, so his name is on them. It is HIS campaign. He is a joke and a fraud, but he will win. That is a certainty. Won't get my vote though, but that won't matter to him.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:32 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
One can choose to change behaviors---either immediately or over time through practice and perseverance....

I have begun picking up litter almost everyday after work and on weekends. I have collected contractor bag after contractor bag filled with litter and debris from Brighton Road, California Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Woods Run Avenue, Woodland Avenue, Shadeland Avenue...

i actually know someone who's said he's SEEN you (probably you - who else is picking up litter) and is thinking of helping you out. im not sure if he means to do another street, or to bring you bags and water and donuts and whatnot, etc.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:34 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I really don't think Pittsburgh has much in the way of organized gangs. Nothing like the big cities. If we do, they sure aren't very visible.

So this thread is 1920 posts long and you chose my post to quote. I think I need to digest that for a while to be honest. Maybe time to reflect as I have to look at that as a statistic. Maybe my delivery is inappropriate? I do stand by how the democrats divided us up like it was nothing. Oh it was something and very ugly what they did to us. They sure created one heck of a lot of hate. Look at how the young democrats act towards older people. The Democratic Party DID THAT to us. It is disgusting and so wrong, but they can't see it. They think they are older people's victims. Just think about how the Democratic Party ran their campaign!!!! SICK! That I will never go back on. We were played by them in a very hateful way, but the rest of it, probably need to reflect for a while.

Glad you rolled in here. Take care. You chose one of my posts. I have to ask myself why and read it a few more times. Maybe I will learn something about myself and others. Thanks.
I wasn't talking specifically about Pittsburgh in this case. I was going more into Black on Black murder.

I was quoting someone else's post regarding psychopaths. Reggiez was talking about psychopaths.

I actually didn't know I was sauntering into the Pittsburgh forum. I've been in this forum before, namely when the Pirates were playoff-bound.

I disagree that this is about political party. Black on Black violence has been going on in the ghettos for decades, long before now. It was going on the 1940s and 50s.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:39 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking specifically about Pittsburgh in this case. I was going more into Black on Black murder.

I was quoting someone else's post regarding psychopaths. Reggiez was talking about psychopaths.

I actually didn't know I was sauntering into the Pittsburgh forum. I've been in this forum before, namely when the Pirates were playoff-bound.

I disagree that this is about political party. Black on Black violence has been going on in the ghettos for decades, long before now. It was going on the 1940s and 50s.
And yet it’s gotten worse. Just because something has been going on for a long time doesn’t mean something shouldn’t be done about it. It’s called changing for the better. Unfortunately, folks that live amongst such losers cry they want something done, but are too weak to actually do something about it, don’t want police in their area/s, and the community leaders and powers that be talk a big game, but don’t actually do anything about it…and when the criminals do get caught they need to be put away for life, but folks cry and defend against that, too. Lack of consequences is a huge problem.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-17-2022 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-17-2022, 11:42 AM

10,852 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
One can choose to change behaviors---either immediately or over time through practice and perseverance.

When I first moved to Marshall-Shadeland in 2020 I immediately ran out and bought flower planters to hang over our front chain-link fence railing to beautify our otherwise drab façade. Immediately the neighbors on each side of us warned us that we should consider putting these flower planters elsewhere because we are "in the hood". "Hood" is a state of mind. Period. Marshall-Shadeland was (still is?) only "the hood" because enough people decide to ACT "hood". If more people drop the "hood"/"tough" act, then the neighborhood can evolve and improve over time (without having to gentrify in the process). I make a concerted effort to greet most I pass on the streets in an effort to let them know they are being seen/observed and to let them know that they matter enough in life to SOMEONE ELSE for them to be acknowledged via a pleasantry.

I have begun picking up litter almost everyday after work and on weekends. I have collected contractor bag after contractor bag filled with litter and debris from Brighton Road, California Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Woods Run Avenue, Woodland Avenue, Shadeland Avenue, Superior Avenue, and surrounding streets. It has taken me months, but now I am FINALLY starting to notice a small difference in that it is taking longer for blocks I have already cleaned to look messy again and I can cover progressively more and more real estate on foot before my contractor bag is full. I like to hope and think that as more and more pedestrians and motorists are noticing me out there more regularly and more frequently that SOME (not all) are choosing to either not litter as frequently or just to not litter in my neighborhood (and instead litter in more affluent Brighton Heights across the bridge---haha).

Oh, and those flower planters? Still there. Still untouched. Two years later.

'hood' may very well be a state of mind. but it is a state of mind that will shoot you. sadly, once that slope is traversed...it stays that way until the excavators roll in and make a plaza.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:43 AM

10,852 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
I've been in this forum before, namely when the Pirates were playoff-bound.

this forum existed in the early 90's? wow

Old 08-17-2022, 11:50 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you're a bit myopic in your view. ALL people might be doing better in those cities, especially Charlotte.

pittsburgh has had stagnant to slow growth, as have a lot of cities compared to CHarlotte, et al, for decades. it has affected all people.

blacks are "doing better" in atlanta, but so are other groups, likely. it has a more vibrant economy and have had super growth since the post-Steve Bartkowski era.

they may have a lower murder rate, but i challenge you to compare cost of living, rents vs. earnings, poverty rate of the city proper, things like that with Pittsburgh and comparable NE cities....
Actually, I'm responding to the subject of most of Pittsburgh's murders being committed by Black people (and most of the victims being Black people). Blacks are about 86% of the perps and victims.

I know about Pittsburgh having lost alot of population over a period of 50 years, and it only now starting to rebound. And as a geographer, this is stuff I study about. I've learned about Pittsburgh becoming a burgeoning center for robotics. Pittsburgh has been lauded, lately, as one of the most livable cities in America. And yet, Pittsburgh is labeled as the worst city for African-Americans to live in, in terms of employment, poverty, health, etc. Kind of ironic considering the number of accomplished Black people who were either born in Pittsburgh or grew up in Pittsburgh (Phyllis Hyman, Cherie Johnson, August Wilson, George Benson, Ahmad Jamal, etc).

My point is that the high Black homicide rate in Pittsburgh is just the tip of the iceberg. And to compare some of those aforementioned cities with comparable northeastern cities, well, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts also have low Black homicide rates. Boston is actually a safer city to live in than Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh