Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2021, 07:28 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

This UPMC is really an odd place. They make countless people change doctors because they drop a bunch of insurance and then say, of nevermind. Now they have doctors just billing taxpayers for things that don't really happen. What a lousy hospital really. Corrupt from top to bottom. I am sure the new CEO is a beaut. Sure.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...C43KMEVW4NCSM/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 06:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 737,240 times
Now we know why Romoff retired suddenly.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:04 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Now they have doctors just billing taxpayers for things that don't really happen. What a lousy hospital really.

That's not unique to UPMC. All of the hospitals and doctors do it. Approximately $100 billion per year is paid out by Medicare/Medicaid in fraudulent claims. Obamacare just exacerbated the problem.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
That's not unique to UPMC. All of the hospitals and doctors do it. Approximately $100 billion per year is paid out by Medicare/Medicaid in fraudulent claims. Obamacare just exacerbated the problem.
I always find replies like this interesting. So you feel since there has been some other fraud here and there, UPMC is somehow "the norm"? Not buying it, unless. you can prove it.

Seems the CEO stepped down at an interesting time. I suspected he knew this was coming as he is on the inside.

What a hospital. Cheating the. taxpayer with billing, telling anyone with Highmark, go find a different doctor and so-on. Lets defend them though! Sure, why not?

Old 09-03-2021, 11:07 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I always find replies like this interesting. So you feel since there has been some other fraud here and there, UPMC is somehow "the norm"? Not buying it, unless. you can prove it.

Seems the CEO stepped down at an interesting time. I suspected he knew this was coming as he is on the inside.

What a hospital. Cheating the. taxpayer with billing, telling anyone with Highmark, go find a different doctor and so-on. Lets defend them though! Sure, why not?

I saw a dermatologist at Geisinger in Danville a while back. Geisinger billed Medicare for a $735 "facilities charge" in addition to a doctor's fee of $285 for my visit. That "facilities charge" was for sitting in the waiting room and using the rest room. And the doctor that I saw was a 1st year resident!

I had a fall a couple of years ago and drove myself to the UPMC hospital in Williamsport. I was in the hospital for 2 days. No ambulance ride, no surgery, no rehab, no casts or other treatment. Just a lot of cat scans. UPMC billed Medicare for over $21,000 of which Medicare paid out about $6,500 and I paid about $1,600. When I wanted to leave after 2 days of just lying in bed, the doctor in charge of my treatment sent for a psychiatrist to examine me. The shrink billed Medicare for $250 and my co-payment was about $45.

The US healthcare system is the most expensive in the world. The USA pays out about 19% of its GDP on medical care. Contrast this with costs in the UK, which has a socialized health care system where everyone is covered.

"Total current healthcare expenditure in 2020 is estimated at £269 billion, a nominal-terms increase of 20% on spending in 2019. The share of GDP attributed to healthcare rose to around 12.8% in 2020, from 10.2% in 2019."

That increase was due to the effects of covid-19.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:20 PM

1,912 posts, read 737,240 times
Quote:
I saw a dermatologist at Geisinger in Danville a while back. Geisinger billed Medicare for a $735 "facilities charge" in addition to a doctor's fee of $285 for my visit. That "facilities charge" was for sitting in the waiting room and using the rest room. And the doctor that I saw was a 1st year resident!

I had a fall a couple of years ago and drove myself to the UPMC hospital in Williamsport. I was in the hospital for 2 days. No ambulance ride, no surgery, no rehab, no casts or other treatment. Just a lot of cat scans. UPMC billed Medicare for over $21,000 of which Medicare paid out about $6,500 and I paid about $1,600. When I wanted to leave after 2 days of just lying in bed, the doctor in charge of my treatment sent for a psychiatrist to examine me. The shrink billed Medicare for $250 and my co-payment was about $45.

The US healthcare system is the most expensive in the world. The USA pays out about 19% of its GDP on medical care. Contrast this with costs in the UK, which has a socialized health care system where everyone is covered.

"Total current healthcare expenditure in 2020 is estimated at £269 billion, a nominal-terms increase of 20% on spending in 2019. The share of GDP attributed to healthcare rose to around 12.8% in 2020, from 10.2% in 2019."

A large part of today's economy is criminal rackets and fraud to get federal money.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Might be but the US is the best in healthcare in the world. Heck Israel is begging us to supply them with our COVID drugs. Go figure. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh