Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 08:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And the patrons for these new restaurants with no parking will come there how?
THe citiy residents will drive just like the suburban restaurant goers. Difference is, the city residents will tell everyone how walkable it is in the city on forums like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 08:07 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
THe citiy residents will drive just like the suburban restaurant goers. Difference is, the city residents will tell everyone how walkable it is in the city on forums like this one.
That's what I figured. Then everyone will get pissed off that there's no parking and stop going because it's so frustrating, the venues will close and residents will bemoan the fact that they can't have nice things.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:36 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
And the patrons for these new restaurants with no parking will come there how?
They’re supposed to walk, bicycle, or take public transportation. Vehicles and parking spots icky.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 AM

198 posts, read 80,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I'm also curious - why is eliminating parking minimums such a positive??
Why is the government mandating private businesses to build off street parking a positive?

Old 09-19-2021, 08:42 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
Why is the government mandating private businesses to build off street parking a positive?
You'll see if you live there.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:03 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
They’re supposed to walk, bicycle, or take public transportation. Vehicles and parking spots icky.
Yeah, I know I'd like to go out to a nice restaurant and a night on the town all dressed up and ride the bus (no matter what transportation agency).

Old 09-19-2021, 09:07 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know I'd like to go out to a nice restaurant and a night on the town all dressed up and ride the bus (no matter what transportation agency).
Or walk or bicycle in a suit, especially when it’s hot and humid.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:15 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
so far, in this thread there is 100% agreement.

please explain. i would think there is an obvious argument that eliminating parking minimums, eliminating drive-throughs has its "pros".

let's hear why updating the zoning code is all about that everyone here is pleased with it.
I can give you a concrete example, which was covered in City Paper earlier this year. An effort to convert a vacant former garage into a "food hall" which began in 2018 has gone nowhere because of these parking minimums. The business owners have broad support of the local community, and successfully won a variance from zoning, but a single individual (who has blocked other projects in Lawrenceville) sued in court and reversed the ZBA's decision. The owners have since spent hundreds of thousands on legal bills on a project which is literally only four parking spaces short of the requirements under zoning. With this change, this project will actually become feasible.

Not to mention I actually watched the presentation on the change, and it was noted that Pittsburgh's decades-old parking requirements for restaurants are higher than for any other businesses within similarly-zoned areas, and much higher than in peer cities or even some suburban areas. It's even really inconsistent, as small restaurants (under 2,500 square feet) currently don't have to offer any parking, but larger ones have substantial parking requirements.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
An effort to convert a vacant former garage into a "food hall" which began in 2018 has gone nowhere because of these parking minimums. The business owners have broad support of the local community, and successfully won a variance from zoning, but a single individual (who has blocked other projects in Lawrenceville) sued in court and reversed the ZBA's decision. The owners have since spent hundreds of thousands on legal bills on a project which is literally only four parking spaces short of the requirements under zoning. With this change, this project will actually become feasible.

Not to mention I actually watched the presentation on the change, and it was noted that Pittsburgh's decades-old parking requirements for restaurants are higher than for any other businesses within similarly-zoned areas, and much higher than in peer cities or even some suburban areas. It's even really inconsistent, as small restaurants (under 2,500 square feet) currently don't have to offer any parking, but larger ones have substantial parking requirements.
Here is some history on the food hall. I have to admit, Lawrenceville is crazy crowded with very little parking. Do you really feel in this case it is a good idea to get that food hall in there? I would like to see the parking issue better served in areas with poverty more than Lawrenceville that is filled to capacity.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...eet/955469706/

Here is the saga according to those that want to open the food hall.

https://www.lawrencehallpgh.com/update

The busier Lawrenceville gets the greater the possibility of it turning into the South Side situation. It hasn't been discovered quite yet and no bars are catering to a more sketchy crowd. YET!

Seriously, do you think a food hall is a good idea there?

*** I am all for growth and less restriction in general however. I wish it was super easy to open things up in the city. At the end of the day, I probably hope it opens.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Here is some history on the food hall. I have to admit, Lawrenceville is crazy crowded with very little parking. Do you really feel in this case it is a good idea to get that food hall in there? I would like to see the parking issue better served in areas with poverty more than Lawrenceville that is filled to capacity.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...eet/955469706/

Here is the saga according to those that want to open the food hall.

https://www.lawrencehallpgh.com/update

The busier Lawrenceville gets the greater the possibility of it turning into the South Side situation. It hasn't been discovered quite yet and no bars are catering to a more sketchy crowd. YET!

Seriously, do you think a food hall is a good idea there?

*** I am all for growth and less restriction in general however. I wish it was super easy to open things up in the city. At the end of the day, I probably hope it opens.
Do I think a food hall would be successful in Lawrenceville? Absolutely - though of course the caveats related to COVID do apply.

Do I think this is a trade up from the status quo of a big empty warehouse fronting on Butler? Again, absolutely. I used to live very close to this structure and know it well.

Do I think this will add to the parking congestion issues in Lawrenceville? Yes, but on the other hand, they are only four spaces short, and four spaces will not make a big difference in neighborhood congestion. When I lived in the neighborhood we already figured out not to leave the neighborhood to socialize on Friday or Saturday night, since someone would take the space in front of our house. So we stuck to hanging out in the neighborhood. I presume the majority of customers would be people hoofing it from the nearby blocks, which have thousands of yuppies now to go around.

South Side had some particulars which made it go into decline Lawrenceville did not. The main issue that occurred there was a movement to turn all of the residential side streets into permit parking. This was purportedly done to cut down on bar traffic, but it was initially not enforced late at night, meaning it did little for bar traffic. But it hurt much more all non-bar businesses, as it made it hard for daytime shoppers to find anywhere to park. It was particularly toxic for employees of the business - many of which had to close because they couldn't find enough qualified applicants who either lived in the neighborhood or could bus it, and had no off-street parking to provide. There have been efforts to put permit parking in place in Lawrenceville, but they have all sputtered out because of what an abject failure South Side's experience has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh