Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 12:45 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i grew up in Uptown. It was a disaster then. You can kid yourself or not, it was not motorists alone that impacted 'safety and quality of life'. it was decentralization and depreciating home values.
that, and scuzzy people who settled in there - some real rednecks and idiot people who were unaware of first world standards in some ways. people who brought with them, or willingly took part of the drug culture, too.

plus, it was old. it was dirty. it was a victim of circumstance, as you have said with the cars and the bad air. no argument there, and i hate car over-dependency, but if you live there, well, there's no getting around it.

no one "stripped" it of anything - it was a victim of trends...during its decline, one can argue the monroevilles of the world were (in that era) growing, thriving, and were wonderful.

how was it 'abandoned'? the city of pittsburgh was in decline from the 1950s onward - people moving out of the central area, then moving out of the city limits. with that goes a tax base, and all that.
there was little investment compared to what we've seen in pittsburgh since the 1990s. i remember polish hill was ratty then, as well as other areas that were middle class and overwhelmingly white. you might be too young to remember Carson Street some time ago - it was a dump, and nothing like it is now. This is an example to counter your assumed argument that it is just racism and elitism that created what had been there, in Uptown.

you seem to forget the massive improvements to the Centre Avenue corridor - a library, a YMCA, streetscape improvements that Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill can only dream about.
Uptown has improved two-fold since the 1980s.

you feel "success will not be measured through crime rates or by how comfortable a middle class white person feels parking their car." so, its OK to break in or vandalize a white person's car and not a black person's? otherwise, it sounds like you think no black people will visit uptown for any reason. this is just to point out you should proof-read your comments before you write ridiculous, mean-spirited things that pad your own ego and do nothing more to win over someone.

see, your post just sounds like a self-serving rant from an albeit well-intentioned, community minded person who is, under the surface, a hateful, spiteful person.

and i messaged you about the row house, out of sincere interest. would i live next to you? sure, i would for a central location where the car is not always necessary. right next door - it would be great! *dubious*
Thanks for the insight. Though today it seems like the dreaded, non-tax paying, UPMC has taken over the Uptown area and will do whatever it wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 03:37 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Thanks for the insight. Though today it seems like the dreaded, non-tax paying, UPMC has taken over the Uptown area and will do whatever it wants.
well, as usual, at the end of the day, i look over what i've posted hours before....and i feel bad to have attacked someone.

so....to justcitydesign, i am sorry to make it personal towards you, but i just feel that from your post comes a limited worldview.

interesting you bring that up, though, svband76....thing is, w/ UPMC may come residents and a lot of activity in the local area. what follows? a change in culture - young people in the medical field. higher demand...higher rents....MORE CARS PARKED EVERY DAMN WHERE...etc.

so nothing will EVER be perfect. bring UPMC, the hospital expansion, etc...and you will have other complaints .

its too bad, but the reality is the poor will always be caught in the ebb and flows of the local economy, particularly with more limited choices on where to live. it is just a fact of life, and we might see this issue come up if/when Uptown experiences real, continued improvement, investment, and inward migration.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:12 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
His own racism? Get over yourself.
Is this racist? I got this quote from the paper today.

Biden administration believes that the name "monkeypox" carries an unnecessary stigma for people of color.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:25 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post

Biden administration believes that the name "monkeypox" carries an unnecessary stigma for people of color.
He gets a pass because muh Democrat, though he’s made so many racist remarks…and let’s not forget him with then Democrat Robert Byrd.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:36 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Quote:

Does it really? I am a person of color and I don't get it. Monkeypox is not a new virus. It has been around for a long time with the same name. Similar to Bird Flu right? I believe the name has something to do with the origin of the virus.

This is a made up controversy.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:44 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:

Quote:
Does it really? I am a person of color and I don't get it. Monkeypox is not a new virus. It has been around for a long time with the same name. Similar to Bird Flu right? I believe the name has something to do with the origin of the virus.

This is a made up controversy.
Its not made up in the minds of conservatives - this is something from the demented minds of the Woke.

Quote:
The World Health Organization is planning to rename monkeypox, designating it as “MPOX” in an effort to destigmatize the virus that gained a foothold in the U.S. earlier this year, three people with knowledge of the matter told POLITICO.
It also comes in response to growing pressure from senior Biden officials, who privately urged WHO leaders to change the name and suggested the U.S. would act unilaterally if the international body did not move quickly enough.

But the Biden administration for months worried that the virus’ name was deepening stigma — especially among people of color — and that the slow movement toward a new designation was hampering the vaccination campaign it started over the summer, the people with knowledge of the matter said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...ename-00070614

Old 12-09-2022, 09:18 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
The truth is often unpopular. I think you need to get over yourself as well. You are old enough to know of the land and property hoarding of the 1980s and 1990's. This led to mass demolition of historic structures. These properties were intended for parking only. These surface parking lots added nothing positive to the neighborhood.
Look, white MEN have dominated the world for 1,000's of years. Heck the UK controlled 1/3rd of the globe for quite some time. We created how great life is. We created it all. Be thankful. I know I am. We have it made.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:18 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Look, white MEN have dominated the world for 1,000's of years. Heck the UK controlled 1/3rd of the globe for quite some time. We created how great life is. We created it all. Be thankful. I know I am. We have it made.
No there was that one time where everybody was so ready to

Old 12-10-2022, 03:15 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
No there was that one time where everybody was so ready to
I haven't read your posts on here for a while. You should visit more. I may have had one too. many last night. Have a nice holiday season if I am allowed to say that these days.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:14 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Not true. Africans and Arabs dominated the world for 1000s of years tens of thousands actually. The white man is a very recent and new phenomenon. Hundreds of years and not thousands. Know your history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh