Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 02:08 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The fact is that electric heat is more expensive than natural gas and heating oil.

Nope, not thinking that, unless you think electric vehicles provide the same “operating” emissions as fossil fuel vehicles?

If people are buying a vehicle, there’s almost zero percent chance they’re never driving again, lol.

Except it's not a fact as it depends on a lot of factors. Our friends just converted their home from natural gas to heat pumps in coastal Maine because it would be *cheaper*, and I paid for a similar though intended to be less rugged system for my mother's home in Southern California because it is cheaper.

Right, most people intend to drive their vehicles, so the emissions for operating EVs being much lower generally leads to lower lifetime emissions than the equivalent fossil fuel vehicles by a considerable margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 02:18 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Except it's not a fact as it depends on a lot of factors. Our friends just converted their home from natural gas to heat pumps in coastal Maine because it would be *cheaper*, and I paid for a similar though intended to be less rugged system for my mother's home in Southern California because it is cheaper.

Right, most people intend to drive their vehicles, so the emissions for operating EVs being much lower generally leads to lower lifetime emissions than the equivalent fossil fuel vehicles by a considerable margin.
Link to electric heat being *cheaper* than natural gas and heating oil?

That’s what I said to begin with

Old 09-26-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Link to electric heat being *cheaper* than natural gas and heating oil?

That’s what I said to begin with

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gas-fur...mp-11620846653

There are many articles like that in regards to heat pumps for heating over the last few years. My answer to you remains the same--it depends on your local context such as the climate you're in which can vary from one location to another even in the same metropolitan area, what type of home you have and thus what kind of systems you can install, what your rate for gas/heating oil is and what your rate for electricity is, and if there are any incentives available, and thus, a lot of factors. It was an easy choice for my mother's home in southern CA, but what was surprising was our friends in coastal Maine who installed it because they said it came out cheaper with a payback period of just a few years. For you though? You'll have to calculate that on your own, because it really depends on many factors specific to your home, its location, and your utility rates.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-26-2021 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gas-fur...mp-11620846653

There are many articles like that in regards to heat pumps for heating over the last few years. My answer to you remains the same--it depends on your local context such as the climate you're in which can vary from one location to another even in the same metropolitan area, what type of home you have and thus what kind of systems you can install, what your rate for gas/heating oil is and what your rate for electricity is, and if there are any incentives available, and thus, a lot of factors. It was an easy choice for my mother's home in southern CA, but what was surprising was our friends in coastal Maine who installed it because they said it came out cheaper with a payback period of just a few years. For you though? You'll have to calculate that on your own, because it really depends on many factors specific to your home, its location, and your utility rates.
I’m not a WSJ subscriber but I’m sure you have other links?…and my response to you remains the same. We’re talking about local climate, and many local folks that condemn fossil fuels but use them everyday because electric heat will cost them more, and swapping out their vehicles with electric/hybrid vehicles will also be an expense.

Your friends in coastal Maine sound like an exception.

Yep, calculated it, natural gas is cheaper, just like it is for most everyone because natural gas and heating oil is cheaper than electric heat.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I’m not a WSJ subscriber but I’m sure you have other links?…and my response to you remains the same. We’re talking about local climate, and many local folks that condemn fossil fuels but use them everyday because electric heat will cost them more, and swapping out their vehicles with electric/hybrid vehicles will also be an expense.

Your friends in coastal Maine sound like an exception.

Yep, calculated it, natural gas is cheaper, just like it is for most everyone because natural gas and heating oil is cheaper than electric heat.
How incapable are you? I'm not going to do something this basic for you--I don't care if you personally end up saving money or not. I'm just letting others know that you were wrong on that account of saying all electric heat is more expensive (which you changed from saying "all electric heat" to "for most everyone" though even that's not true), and others know how to use google or get around a flimsy paywall.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
How incapable are you? I'm not going to do something this basic for you--I don't care if you personally end up saving money or not. I'm just letting others know that you were wrong on that account of saying all electric heat is more expensive (which you changed from saying "all electric heat" to "for most everyone" though even that's not true), and others know how to use google or get around a flimsy paywall.
You’re the one making the argument, so provide the information if you want to be taken seriously.

I said for most everyone because I gave you the benefit of the doubt that their could be cheaper options, but you haven’t provided any, so I’ll stick to my statement that it’s cheaper for everyone.

If you have other links not behind a paywall, provide them, rather than making flimsy statements.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrmc View Post
Excellent points.
Lol. No proof no points.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You’re the one making the argument, so provide the information if you want to be taken seriously.

I said for most everyone because I gave you the benefit of the doubt that their could be cheaper options, but you haven’t provided any, so I’ll stick to my statement that it’s cheaper for everyone.

If you have other links not behind a paywall, provide them, rather than making flimsy statements.
Quote:
Lol. No proof no points.

Lol. You started this off with the claim that all electric heat is more expensive without any proof:

Quote:
All electric heat is considerably more expensive than gas or heating oil.

Doesn’t the lower emissions of buying the electric vehicle outweigh the cost of keeping the fossil fuel using vehicle?

Lol. You say there's no proof, but you can't even get around a basic paywall to a link that I already provided or learn how to google for the many similar articles that are easily found. There are even multiple research papers including ones over the last few years or I can go potentially go through some of the power and thermal calculations, but if you don't know how to google for basic articles or get around the paywall of a fairly well known mag like WSJ, then I don't think there's much use in helping you, because it's just sort of beyond help. Lol!

My point's already made and the important thing is that people don't get waylaid by your incorrect comment. Those people are likely able to look things up or get around a simple paywall if they are now actually interested in getting a heat pump. That's never going to be for you though, and that's fine.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-26-2021 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Lol. You started this off with the claim that all electric heat is more expensive without any proof:

Lol. You say there's no proof, but you can't even get around a basic paywall to a link that I already provided or learn how to google for the dozens of similar articles that abound. There are even multiple research papers including ones over the last few years or I can go potentially go through some of the power and thermal calculations, but if you don't know how to google for basic articles or get around the paywall of a fairly well known mag like WSJ, then I don't think there's much use in helping you, because it's just sort of beyond help. Lol!
You’re the one saying I’m wrong but can’t prove it.

In other words, you have no proof, are bringing up research papers, and just an article behind a paywall, lol.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrmc View Post
Again, excellent point.
Even better if there was proof. Hopefully he can provide some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh