Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 08:42 PM

755 posts, read 471,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
they might not have put enough thought into it.

like another here, i use mine again and again. often, its to carry a fresh shirt and socks (in the summer, for instance).

ultimately, i use them for the garbage i generate. think about it - take these away, then what do i use for my weekly garbage? me and thousands of others who are single household people who do not need large size, Hefty type bags just because we are socially conscious people who minimize waste?

heres the answer - a Hefty bag! 10x more poly-whatevers in that product.

cant go to paper - that is sloppy, messy, encourages vermin after being put out to the street for pickup...

rather than legislation, how about education?
I hear you, but there are places that offer curbside compost pick-up, which pretty much minimizes your solid waste to dry stuff that can go into paper bags. The compost is then sold to farms to enrich the soil. Not sure how economically viable that is at scale, but it has to start somewhere.

https://www.mediaborough.com/publicw...ood-composting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 07:56 AM

716 posts, read 764,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I routinely pick up litter in my neighborhood. Within days it looks like defecation again, and plastic bags comprise a lot of this litter. If Pittsburghers weren't such pigs I would have no issues with plastic bags. Since so many end up in our storm drains and rivers and curb lines, though, I am in approval of this ban.
I agree with this 100% I often wonder why there seems to be such a culture of accepting litter here. I spend a lot of time picking it up too but obviously as one person I can only have so big of an impact.

I often wonder how/why homeowners are able to ignore it when it's on their doorsteps. Same with business owners. But then again I also marvel at Pittsburgh's "street weeds" in the late summer that can grow feet tall in very busy neighborhoods and still be ignored as well.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:47 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I agree with this 100% I often wonder why there seems to be such a culture of accepting litter here. I spend a lot of time picking it up too but obviously as one person I can only have so big of an impact.

I often wonder how/why homeowners are able to ignore it when it's on their doorsteps. Same with business owners. But then again I also marvel at Pittsburgh's "street weeds" in the late summer that can grow feet tall in very busy neighborhoods and still be ignored as well.
Because standards are low and accepted.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:27 PM

755 posts, read 471,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Because standards are low and accepted.
I only heard a few words from Gainey after his election victory, but I was kind of stunned that cleaning up the city was on his short list. Maybe standards will rise. I often thought as a sign of commitment to such an effort the mayor and his department heads should all be out there for an hour or two EVERY week picking up litter. It would certainly give them community visibility they couldn't get any other way.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:40 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I only heard a few words from Gainey after his election victory, but I was kind of stunned that cleaning up the city was on his short list. Maybe standards will rise. I often thought as a sign of commitment to such an effort the mayor and his department heads should all be out there for an hour or two EVERY week picking up litter. It would certainly give them community visibility they couldn't get any other way.
That would be great news, and that’s an excellent idea.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:37 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Does the city require garbage to be place in an actual garbage can with a lid? I live north of the city where people often put their garbage out in a kitchen garbage bag. The dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc. appreciate that.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:35 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Does the city require garbage to be place in an actual garbage can with a lid? I live north of the city where people often put their garbage out in a kitchen garbage bag. The dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc. appreciate that.
Nope. I put out one trash bag per week for collection. I also put it out around 5:30 AM when I leave for work, and they typically hit my street around 6:30 AM, so the animals don't have enough time to tear it to shreds.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 354 times
Default Eco plastic bag solution

Or we just can offer bio plastic bag solution, like natural plastic bags made from corn or rice

Old 04-17-2022, 08:46 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Now living NY, I find this a pain. I reuse plastic bags for other refuse, or as a convenient way to carry stuff into work.

A lot of retailers now offer no bags.

And the first time I visited after the bag ban, I was charged for bags without knowing there was a charge. That’s incredibly rude.

Screw off, baggots. And retailers, please at least offer paper bags - that was the norm where I grew up, sans mandates. It’s not cool for shoppers. Quit making daily life harder for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh