Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:56 PM

42 posts, read 36,673 times

Advertisements

Just wondered cause I'm heading to Steubenville, OH which is near Pittsburgh and I am curious on how many other people had the same idea, also traffic is a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 09:02 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
In order from most common to least, I'd say West Virginia, New Jersey, Ohio, and New York are the most common out of state plates. I might be off in that a bit, but those are the only ones I recall seeing commonly.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:39 AM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
This is a fun topic, because for some reason I key on this when I'm out driving around and it drives my wife crazy. It must be one of those vestiges of family vacations driving to FL where me and my brothers would try to compete for most "tags" (not including what I see around the Oakland campuses):

Most common (every day if you're driving any length of time):

OH, WV, NJ, MD, NY

Regular, but not every day:

FL, TX, NC, VA, GA

Occasional (once a week):

CA, OR, WA, IL, MI

Periodic (once a month):

TN, VT, NH,, MN, UT (not sure why, but see more of these here than I would have ever imagined)

Old 11-25-2021, 10:15 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
There are a couple of MN plates I see in the parking garage at work. I forgot about that. Probably a Mayo to Pitt/UPMC transfer.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:26 AM

198 posts, read 80,537 times
Ohio plates don't really mean anything in western PA. Since Ohio doesn't require safety and emission inspections some PA residents buy beaters from Ohio.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:41 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
Ohio plates don't really mean anything in western PA. Since Ohio doesn't require safety and emission inspections some PA residents buy beaters from Ohio.
How do they get or register Ohio plates with a PA residence?

Old 11-25-2021, 10:46 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
How do they get Ohio plates with a PA residence?
i did it a long while back. i was poor at the time and opted for what was a quick and painless process. the woman literally walked around the car, checked a box or two, and voila.

this was under the assumption i would get another car within a few months. instead, i unloaded it and went carless for the next 6 years.

at that time, the car was NOT unsafe, though.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i did it a long while back. i was poor at the time and opted for what was a quick and painless process. the woman literally walked around the car, checked a box or two, and voila.

this was under the assumption i would get another car within a few months. instead, i unloaded it and went carless for the next 6 years.

at that time, the car was NOT unsafe, though.
How today, is one going to get Ohio plates with a PA residence? Where are you getting the plate from?

Old 11-25-2021, 11:06 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
How today, is one going to get Ohio plates with a PA residence? Where are you getting the plate from?

i got 'em in either Mahoning or Columbiana County. its not illegal to do so, i guess, w/ PA residence. i think i got the plates right then and there. it was over 10 years ago so i cant remember the procedure, but i agree it doesnt seem right to be able to do so.

there are numerous Ohio plates around. i assume some might be just to skirt the inspections.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i got 'em in either Mahoning or Columbiana County. its not illegal to do so, i guess, w/ PA residence. i think i got the plates right then and there. it was over 10 years ago so i cant remember the procedure, but i agree it doesnt seem right to be able to do so.

there are numerous Ohio plates around. i assume some might be just to skirt the inspections.
Interesting. I’d be curious to know if it’s still possible today…though I don’t recall seeing beaters with Ohio plates on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh