Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 06:59 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How high are Allegheny County's property taxes? We pay like $100/year with our homestead exemption applied and honestly think we should be paying much more. Butler County's taxes are even cheaper than that?
This might be anecdotal, but....we could have thrown a baseball into Allegheny County from our house in Cranberry. Had that house been in Allegheny rather than Butler County, our taxes would have just about doubled. Incidentally, that's exactly why my ex chose to leave Allegheny County and build in Butler right around the time that Allegheny did its big reassessment; he's not the only one who did so.

Your taxes sound about right for where you're at, by the way. I have a friend who has a house in Sheraden who pays around four hundred dollars a year with Homestead Exemption. (Hers is a roomy Foursquare on a large lot.) I'm about two miles or so up the road from you and my taxes are a bit under three grand a year. The city "gets" you with the higher wage tax, so in a way it kind of evens out a bit, although one hundred dollars a year *is* astonishingly low even for where you're at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 08:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How high are Allegheny County's property taxes? We pay like $100/year with our homestead exemption applied and honestly think we should be paying much more. Butler County's taxes are even cheaper than that?
In a lousy area and a tiny home, you could have a tax rate of around $100 in Allegheny County no problem.

Millage is 4.73, so at around $25,000 home with homestead would get you around $100 a year.

I never complained about county tax as it is pennies. School tax in our region is the killer! Everything else is nothing. Teachers making TONS of money around here and they have the greatest schedule with summers and all holidays known to man off, even including Jewish ones with a population of about nil. Also they don't pay into healthcare and their pensions are second to none. It is crazy!!!

Okay, back to SCR taxes. $100 seems about right for county. Look what you have to put up with in that neighborhood!! Geez. They should pay you, but it is nice to live cheap at your age. Hope someday you move into a little more quiet area and you are building equity as I type this, so good for you.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:28 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
The high-end east of Soulless Cranberry.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:35 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The high-end east of Soulless Cranberry.
That’s extremely desirable. Nobody goes there because it’s so crowded, lol.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:35 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That’s extremely desirable. Nobody goes there because it’s so crowded, lol.
SF population increased 1.1 % between 2010 and 2020.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
SF population increased 1.1 % between 2010 and 2020.
Lol. 7 Fields is tiny. What about Cranberry and Mars that it’s in the middle of?

Old 12-12-2021, 01:14 PM

220 posts, read 146,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. 7 Fields is tiny. What about Cranberry and Mars that it’s in the middle of?
Yeah as I said in my initial write up, its small size has caused it to be built out and may only see modest growth in the future and that is why its growth rate was one of the slowest of anywhere bigger in southern Butler County. Cranberry gained near 5,000 residents and near 18%. Adams Township grew by 3,000 and 27%. Jackson Township gained a little over 1,000 but had the largest percentage at near 34. Mars borough somehow took a big tumble and fell 14%.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
Yeah as I said in my initial write up, its small size has caused it to be built out and may only see modest growth in the future and that is why its growth rate was one of the slowest of anywhere bigger in southern Butler County. Cranberry gained near 5,000 residents and near 18%. Adams Township grew by 3,000 and 27%. Jackson Township gained a little over 1,000 but had the largest percentage at near 34. Mars borough somehow took a big tumble and fell 14%.
Absolutely, and I’d wager they’ve never even been there, much like the folks that think there isn’t any walkable areas in Cranberry or 7 Fields. They see Rt 19 and think everything is driving only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh