Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 02:14 PM

198 posts, read 80,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
What if the entire force just slowed way down and didn't pull anyone over anymore?
They already don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 02:16 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_lanes View Post
They already don't.
Stats say otherwise…and if they didn’t pull folks over, why the need to have a law to not do it?

Old 01-01-2022, 02:41 PM

198 posts, read 80,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Stats say otherwise…
That's cool. In my experiences as a resident of Pittsburgh I've seen people running stop signs and red lights in front of Pittsburgh police officers with no repercussions. I've seen Pittsburgh police officers themselves committing traffic violations when they had no lights or sirens activated. I walk my dog every day past a car parked on the the main street in neighborhood with paper dealer plates that expired four months ago.

Quote:
and if they didn’t pull folks over, why the need to have a law to not do it?
I'm don't support this law. In fact I'm in favor of capital punishment for traffic offenses.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
That's cool. In my experiences as a resident of Pittsburgh I've seen people running stop signs and red lights in front of Pittsburgh police officers with no repercussions. I've seen Pittsburgh police officers themselves committing traffic violations when they had no lights or sirens activated. I walk my dog every day past a car parked on the the main street in neighborhood with paper dealer plates that expired four months ago.

I'm don't support this law. In fact I'm in favor of capital punishment for traffic offenses.
Except there’s nowhere near enough officers to address every traffic violator, and the stats still say that they do in fact pull folks over, and if they didn’t, they wouldn’t have made a law against it.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:

In my experience I agree. You have to do something like crash your car into another for a cop to do anything, but it seems people are being pulled over, but I think it is because the cops know who the bad people are and they also know they can bust them for something a lot larger than a taillight out, that is why they pull them over.

Maybe this whole thing is smoke and mirrors to make the blue haired women that protest all the time feel they are winning something?

Old 01-02-2022, 09:04 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
That's cool. In my experiences as a resident of Pittsburgh I've seen people running stop signs and red lights in front of Pittsburgh police officers with no repercussions. I've seen Pittsburgh police officers themselves committing traffic violations when they had no lights or sirens activated....
dude, its ridiculous. and its everywhere, in all cities, so not unique to Pittsburgh.

i have ridden around RARELY for the last 2 years now because I was knocked off my bicycle onto the pavement - I was not riding carelessly, following all laws in a dense neighborhood (outer Strip District) and the whopper is I made eye contact with the driver prior to impact.

So yes, I think it was intentional on his part.

Since then, I've ridden a bike for either transportation or pleasure maybe 5 times in 2 years. I am just scared, I admit.

But the rolling through stop signs, the continual right turns on red lights (you have to come to a complete stop!) and I wonder why there aren't more pedestrian collisions. In a previous life, pre-pandemic and when there were more students and less people working from home, there probably WOULD be more. This was a problem of note last year in Philadelphia and Toronto and I believe in one of the NYC boroughs (Brooklyn maybe?) from what I've gathered from online news items.

and the cops also drive too fast, like everyone else. at a red-to-green light change, they turn left ahead of oncoming (annoying), but if stationed due to a complaint, would easily give you a ticket for rolling through a stop sign.

this is exactly why drivers behind me get PISSED. The last ticket I got was in 1995 in East Liberty from a cop stationed at a street, likely due to a citizen complaint. I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop - i was literally rolling at 1 mph - that ain't close enough? I was poor at the time and that ticket killed me financially. Since then, I drive not 'like an old woman' but too damn slow for everyone else. Well, tough luck, I guess.

Last edited by szug-bot; 01-02-2022 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: clarification on effect of ticket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh