Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times

Advertisements

Hi! I live in Boston, just finished nursing school, and I'm considering moving to Pittsburgh. A Pittsburgh hospital is having a job fair out here in a few weeks. So far, all I know about I know about Pittsburgh is that it has mountains, affordable housing, no more steel mills, a shrinking population (related to the collapse of steel), an Ikea, some racial problems, and a lot of universities.

I'm black, Hubby's white. How is the job market outside of the medical field? What would be safe places to live? How is public transportation (we don't drive)? How are the supermarkets? Am I insane to want to move there when I won't move to Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:55 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
I know about Pittsburgh is that it has mountains
Mountains...ha! They are hills.
Quote:
How are the supermarkets?
Horrible there is pretty much a monopoly in the area, its all Giant Eagle.
Quote:
Am I insane to want to move there when I won't move to Cleveland?
Yes

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 AM

10 posts, read 25,503 times
Humanoid would live anywhere but Pittsburgh, apparently. I have lived in several states, and some notable cities. I will tell you that Pittsburgh is better than people think. Depends on what you want, though. We like to call things "Mt.", but they are really just big hills. Housing is EXTREMELY affordable, and if you look hard enough, you will find amazing deals. The Ikea is, technically, in Robinson, PA. But no one seems to differentiate, since there is no real gap between the city and Robinson/Moon. I haven't seen many racial problems, to be honest. Whenever I was younger, I lived in the Hill (the "black" section of town), and I never had any problems. In fact, I miss some of those neighbors. We do have some of the best universities around. Hell, even our technical schools are pretty damn good. The interracial thing is fairly common here, and it really doesn't surprise anyone anymore. To the south or north of the city, maybe. Not here, though. Pittsburghers may not be the most socially progressive people as a whole, but they also tend to be very private, so they really don't get into each other's business. You can look through the other housing threads to see recommendations on safe areas to live, along with some price estimates. Public transportation is ok. It's very good closer to downtown, and gets progressively worse as you go out. We could certainly use more supermarkets, although I get my groceries in the Strip District, so I don't care. Also, Cleveland is an abortion.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot of overt racial hatred; but diversity is a problem. Finding those that can relate to you culture is a problem. And old-school ideas (as people openly expressing those ideas) are a problem.

For example, yesterday I had some White guy that I'm in physical therapy just start talking about Barack Obama to me; totally from left field. He then went on to talk about the Black Panthers and Malcolm X; then continued on to say, "Well Martin Luther King was ok...not the rest of them.". LOL...yeah, that's really not too polite.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
As an aside, Pittsburgh is in the middle of a large plateau, and the "hills" are actually the high spots on this plateau between valleys which were carved by the local rivers and streams.

Anyway, if the hospital in question is located in Oakland, you might consider the "East End" of Pittsburgh, where a lot of people from the universities and hospitals end up living. There is a large variety of neighborhoods in the East End at all sorts of price levels. Some of those neighborhoods are racially diverse (and generally progressive), and most are linked to Oakland with quick bus routes. The East End also has a variety of grocery options, including a Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, and the East End Food Co-op (an organic/vegan-type place). We also shop in The Strip and occasionally go to McGinnis Sisters in nearby Monroeville. And we go to Giant Eagle too ... it is a standard supermarket, but fine for everyday staples.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 AM

125 posts, read 398,606 times
I agree with BrianTH about living in the East End. That's probably the best area you're going to get for transportation & diversity together.
There are a lot of Giant Eagles here, but I wouldn't say they have a monopoly. Within about equal distance to my house is a Giant Eagle, a Shop 'N Save, and a Kuhn's. If you were in the East End, there is a pretty big Giant Eagle along with the other options that BrianTH listed.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Hi! I live in Boston, just finished nursing school, and I'm considering moving to Pittsburgh. A Pittsburgh hospital is having a job fair out here in a few weeks. So far, all I know about I know about Pittsburgh is that it has mountains, affordable housing, no more steel mills, a shrinking population (related to the collapse of steel), an Ikea, some racial problems, and a lot of universities.

I'm black, Hubby's white. How is the job market outside of the medical field? What would be safe places to live? How is public transportation (we don't drive)? How are the supermarkets? Am I insane to want to move there when I won't move to Cleveland?
PLEASE move to Pittsburgh! It would be WONDERFUL to have an inter-racial family around! We have many inter-racial friends (ones actually a prince from Africa! - No lie!) and we find the diversity in that type of relationship terrific!
Our children were born in a very diverse neighborhood and grew up with toys that had both black and white features. My son's first love was an older black teacher in Richmond (g-d he adorrrrrrrrrred her!) and his first girlfriend in high school was a beautiful young black woman. So I would love to have you as my neighbor! *smile*

As far as I know, the medical field is thriving here in Pittsburgh. I can't comment on public transportation because I don't use it. As far as grocery stores, I'm not too thrilled about them, but it all depends on what you are used to. I grew up with Wegmans. I'd say Cleveland and Pittsburgh are similar, Pittsburgh as better weather (less snow) but Cleveland has the beach. I like Cleveland better, but that is just my personal preference. You will find most people who post here prefer Pittsburgh, except for us few bad apples...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot of overt racial hatred; but diversity is a problem. Finding those that can relate to you culture is a problem. And old-school ideas (as people openly expressing those ideas) are a problem.

For example, yesterday I had some White guy that I'm in physical therapy just start talking about Barack Obama to me; totally from left field. He then went on to talk about the Black Panthers and Malcolm X; then continued on to say, "Well Martin Luther King was ok...not the rest of them.". LOL...yeah, that's really not too polite.
Jesus, unbelieveable........... I hate people like that. Hello! It's 2008 and we're more alike than we are dissimilar!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As an aside, Pittsburgh is in the middle of a large plateau, and the "hills" are actually the high spots on this plateau between valleys which were carved by the local rivers and streams.

Anyway, if the hospital in question is located in Oakland, you might consider the "East End" of Pittsburgh, where a lot of people from the universities and hospitals end up living. There is a large variety of neighborhoods in the East End at all sorts of price levels. Some of those neighborhoods are racially diverse (and generally progressive), and most are linked to Oakland with quick bus routes. The East End also has a variety of grocery options, including a Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, and the East End Food Co-op (an organic/vegan-type place). We also shop in The Strip and occasionally go to McGinnis Sisters in nearby Monroeville. And we go to Giant Eagle too ... it is a standard supermarket, but fine for everyday staples.
When you say "a" Whole Foods, "a" Trader Joes, does that mean there is only one in the Pittsburgh area? Does anyone know if there are any in the suburbs? Thanks.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
The Whole Foods and the Trader Joe's on Penn Ave are the only ones in the area so far. Since they've been so wildly popular there's been talk of expanding, but it hasn't happened yet.

Still no expansion in store for Whole Foods after 6 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh