Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I used to say Mount Lebanon all day long but lately their school board has acquired anti-religious/anti-Catholic members and the curriculum is heavily pushing racist Critical Race Theory BS and quadruple mask agendas. Hence, I'd probably say one of the high schools north of Pittsburgh. Or better yet Seton Lasalle or a private school.
I would like to hear more specifics about this. I can't picture what difference it makes if their school board has acquired anti-religious/anti-Catholic members. How would you know they were anti-religious/anti-Catholic? I don't see how the personal religious attitudes of board members can impact what is taught in a public school district. What could they do that is anti-Catholic?

How is the curriculum heavily pushing racist Critical Race Theory? I've only heard rumors that this exist and have never heard of it actually impacting a school curriculum.

My kids started in the Mt. Lebanon district and I have 5 nieces and nephews who graduated from the district. I've heard very few complaints about the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 09:29 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I would like to hear more specifics about this. I can't picture what difference it makes if their school board has acquired anti-religious/anti-Catholic members. How would you know they were anti-religious/anti-Catholic? I don't see how the personal religious attitudes of board members can impact what is taught in a public school district. What could they do that is anti-Catholic?

How is the curriculum heavily pushing racist Critical Race Theory? I've only heard rumors that this exist and have never heard of it actually impacting a school curriculum.

My kids started in the Mt. Lebanon district and I have 5 nieces and nephews who graduated from the district. I've heard very few complaints about the district.
Some parents now claim their school teaches "critical race theory" if the kids have to read a biography of Martin Luther King or something.

I mean, literally nothing has changed regarding how K-12 schools have taught about race in decades, but suddenly if you say "racism is bad" and actually have kids learn about segregation and the civil rights movement you're anti-white.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some parents now claim their school teaches "critical race theory" if the kids have to read a biography of Martin Luther King or something.

I mean, literally nothing has changed regarding how K-12 schools have taught about race in decades, but suddenly if you say "racism is bad" and actually have kids learn about segregation and the civil rights movement you're anti-white.
Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:33 AM

10,838 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:

Reality is, Gov Wolf wants it taught. He even said so many times. At present if you consult the PDE website, it *is* allowed and up to each district to implement but not a PDE requirement and that is an important distinction - for example philly city schools and west chester district (there are others, Im just picking the top 2)

In our own district, the voters asked the school board to affirm they would not teach or it any other political propaganda.

3 said never, 3 said they would (but it is NOT taught at present) and in the 2021 elections, the 3 that said they would teach it were tossed out to complete unknown by a massive margin. (darn near 70%)

There are a number of web sites that now track this by state, or even each state by nation. We are not talking 'I heard from my ex wifes sisters lover...' but rather they post the material, much like Asra Nomani did (which as we recall, changed virginia)

I dont want that racist trash taught to my children. Children are taught to hate, either by inattentive parents or left run schools. Anyone who has ever had chidlren, can speak to that.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Reality is, Gov Wolf wants it taught. He even said so many times. At present if you consult the PDE website, it *is* allowed and up to each district to implement but not a PDE requirement and that is an important distinction - for example philly city schools and west chester district (there are others, Im just picking the top 2)

In our own district, the voters asked the school board to affirm they would not teach or it any other political propaganda.

3 said never, 3 said they would (but it is NOT taught at present) and in the 2021 elections, the 3 that said they would teach it were tossed out to complete unknown by a massive margin. (darn near 70%)

There are a number of web sites that now track this by state, or even each state by nation. We are not talking 'I heard from my ex wifes sisters lover...' but rather they post the material, much like Asra Nomani did (which as we recall, changed virginia)

I dont want that racist trash taught to my children. Children are taught to hate, either by inattentive parents or left run schools. Anyone who has ever had chidlren, can speak to that.
Where on the PDE website does it state that, "it *is* allowed and up to each district to implement but not a PDE requirement?" I could not find it. The closest I found was a page on Creating Inclusive Schools: Racial and Ethnic Identity.

What do you mean by the statement, "that is an important distinction - for example philly city schools and west chester district..."

I have grandchildren in the West Chester School Area School District.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:08 PM

716 posts, read 765,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I used to say Mount Lebanon all day long but lately their school board has acquired anti-religious/anti-Catholic members and the curriculum is heavily pushing racist Critical Race Theory BS and quadruple mask agendas. Hence, I'd probably say one of the high schools north of Pittsburgh. Or better yet Seton Lasalle or a private school.
What effect does a school board have on the curriculum taught in a school? Answer: absolutely none. As far as anti-religious, why would a school board be in favor of any religion? It's a public school. Additionally having a mask mandate does not equate to a "quadruple mask mandate," which is not a thing anywhere.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Where on the PDE website does it state that, "it *is* allowed and up to each district to implement but not a PDE requirement?" I could not find it. The closest I found was a page on Creating Inclusive Schools: Racial and Ethnic Identity.

What do you mean by the statement, "that is an important distinction - for example philly city schools and west chester district..."

I have grandchildren in the West Chester School Area School District.

right-cheer: https://www.education.pa.gov/Schools...ialEthnic.aspx

There are a number of links which I am not going to enumerate of approved resources, some CRT (such as the Ta-Nehisi Coates book - no I have not read it, and neither have you, but It seems to **** off universally a lot of people), some sorta CRT, some not CRT - I leave it up to the reader. These resources are ALLOWED as classroom materials or resources or lesson plans as stated, not required. There is a difference (in pa, other states too, but only focusing on PA)

For example, well over a week AFTER Youngkin was sworn in in VA, the VA DoE webpage STILL listed the CRT requirements. Funny how political lines cross when your kids are the target.

and sorry I was not clear. Various school districts (all) are ranked according to the indoctrination and hatred they push. Philly city and west chester are at the top of the list in PA. As a gradnparent you should be concerned. I have 5 grandkids myself. (how the hell did that happen? how did I become 'el padre' all of a sudden?)

We have exactly *zero* disharmony in this school district. No one hates each other beyond teenage angst and even then our social media cliques are nearly non-existent. We have parent buy in and parent/teacher cohesion. I want it to stay that way. The 3 Rs here are traditional, not Racism, Riots and Robberies. The biggest problem we have in the news is a guidance counselor was caught dealing drugs. In this county they perp-walk, not get promoted to principal.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
What effect does a school board have on the curriculum taught in a school? Answer: absolutely none. As far as anti-religious, why would a school board be in favor of any religion? It's a public school. Additionally having a mask mandate does not equate to a "quadruple mask mandate," which is not a thing anywhere.

whoa...

who is telling you this stuff?

valid question: have you ever had kids in the public school system?

Old 02-07-2022, 12:50 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
Quote:

Consequences of trying to shove more and more down folks throats while making so many accusations of racism. Folks simply aren’t going to take the nonsense anymore. Reminds me a lot of the Columbus discussion along with folks continuing to blame folks today for what happened generations ago.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:00 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I am a parent and I have no idea what you're talking about here.

I mean, my kids go to PPS. I sat with my son when he had online classes due to COVID for most of 1st grade. There was a lot of "black content" so to speak in class - both in terms of the famous people they learned about and the different books the librarian chose to showcase. But his school and the district at large is majority black, and I'm not surprised they're pushing learning about people they believe the student body can identify with. There's nothing racist about having white people learn about black people regardless, any more than there's anything racist about having black people learn about white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh