Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:10 PM

10,838 posts, read 4,521,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I am a parent and I have no idea what you're talking about here.

I mean, my kids go to PPS. I sat with my son when he had online classes due to COVID for most of 1st grade. There was a lot of "black content" so to speak in class - both in terms of the famous people they learned about and the different books the librarian chose to showcase. But his school and the district at large is majority black, and I'm not surprised they're pushing learning about people they believe the student body can identify with. There's nothing racist about having white people learn about black people regardless, any more than there's anything racist about having black people learn about white people.

didnt say there was. that is not what CRT is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 01:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
didnt say there was. that is not what CRT is.
This is fascinating because I have heard this exact comeback more than once. Could you please summarize what CRT means to you? I'm not asking for links I'm genuinely trying to figure out what people mean when they say what you replied to eschaton with. Oh for the record I have a kid in PPS and can tell you that there is nothing out of the ordinary regarding to what is being taught in history class. I echo what eschaton says is his/her experience this far.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
This is fascinating because I have heard this exact comeback more than once. Could you please summarize what CRT means to you? I'm not asking for links I'm genuinely trying to figure out what people mean when they say what you replied to eschaton with. Oh for the record I have a kid in PPS and can tell you that there is nothing out of the ordinary regarding to what is being taught in history class. I echo what eschaton says is his/her experience this far.

well I dont know how I can educate you any better than any of a zillion links or videos you can watch, but as someone pointed out

reading about MLK is not CRT.

Teaching white kids there are black kids is not CRT.

Even the college application of CRT is not 'CRT' that parents are up in arms with. The 'CRT' they/we/I do not want is where you select one group to instruct them that due to virtue of their race, they are a, B and C

'white guilt', white privilege, oppressor race, victim race, institutional blah blah. These are but a subset of the actual terms and lessons used to teach the kids to hate, segregate etc. Are they being done? yes. Witness VA. are they being done in some of PA? yes. Are they being done in either of my school districts I pay into? no. Are they being done done in your district? no you say.

But on stuff so critically damaging to our kids and the nation as a whole, you cannot end your view at your back yard fence or else you end up 1930/1940s Germany - and no this is not cliche. It is well publicized that after the war, when the forensics went into the country and asked HOW could you all let this happen? the answer was near unanimous: "well it wasnt happening to *US* so it wasnt a big deal". IT dont get much more organic than that.

This is such an important teaching moment, people need to set aside partisan poison and think of the bigger picture and the implications - like the good people of VA did. Look at our state - have a little pride - no one is accusing philly as being a gentle town of little strife and racial harmony, and now we see people teaching the grade school kids to hate others only on identity. So much for unity.... Is this message of hate and exclusion working? well, the numbers of racial incidents is climbing in these areas and the age of the perps is decreasing so yes, we can conclude it is paying dividends. Like I said, you have to teach a kid to hate. They aint born that way. IF you see a youth poisoned, it came from the parent or the school.

Pitting classes against themselves - hell - creating the 'classes' in the first place has always been a left hallmark and its only doubled down. They are no longer content having you at your neighbors throat. Now they want your kids to carry it onto the playground. I do not accept this.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:33 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybezl View Post
Thank you so much for getting all of this information to me. We are moving from NJ
As for post above, you are really good observer - we're considering relocating to Sarasota, FL. However, we changed our mind because of the ice hockey . As we found out, FL does not offer elite or AAA ice hockey program for my kids (5,8,10 years old).
Hey welcome! Where about in NJ? I grew up down Manahawkin area and ended up here (my family is from here) about 15 years ago with a stop if FL.

Lots of good advice on here, really depends on how you define best schools. We wanted a smaller school to help ease our kids into change as they were older but still ranked well. We've helped clients who wanted the best schools but they were looking for specific needs too. What's most important in a school besides hockey?

Old 02-07-2022, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 7,617 times
We are in Montclair, NJ. In Pittsburgh we would have access to great hockey clubs so it is not that important for us to have a school that has hockey. Absense of CRT and so called gender identity is the most important in a school for us. Unfortunately some of the posters don't understand how big this problem with CRT is and they incorrectly say that this CRT is just what always have been taught at schools and even equate MLK with CRT who would be very much against this CRT based on his life. We experienced CRT first hand. In NJ CRT and so called gender identity is now a requirement for K-12 public schools since March 2020, it is a law here. And yes they are teaching this garbage starting Kindergarten. Private schools are even worse. Our kids are currently enrolled in highly nationaly ranked private school and it is really bad here so that as you can see we are looking to escape... Now all the data about CRT is available online, you can watch many videos on YouTube related to Virginia parents defending their kids so please don't try to gaslight or whitewash CRT knowingly or unknowingly... I appreciate very much all the answers and advise from like minded parents or grandparents..

Old 02-08-2022, 02:19 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some parents now claim their school teaches "critical race theory" if the kids have to read a biography of Martin Luther King or something.

I mean, literally nothing has changed regarding how K-12 schools have taught about race in decades, but suddenly if you say "racism is bad" and actually have kids learn about segregation and the civil rights movement you're anti-white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Thanks for confirming what I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
And I echo what each of the above say.

Critical Race Theory is not being taught in our elementary or secondary schools.

As many before me have noted on forums and in newspapers and discussed at school boards and on and on: CRT is only taught at the graduate level, not at any lower level.

So what’s the problem? There isn’t one. But somewhere between the New York Times’s Pulitzer Prize winning 1619 Project and the MAGA addiction to race-baiting, a graduate level course called Critical Race Theory became code for anti-White racism or even anti-Americanism. And the CRT boogeyman was born & is being purposefully and successfully utilized as a fear mongering GOP cudgel.

Given that MAGA provocateurs do not have a firm grasp of the concept, it is hardly surprising that we are seeing laws---across the nation--- “banning” critical race theory that are nonsensical and hopelessly vague, leaving it anyone’s guess as to what is banned next. Black History Month? Books telling stories about harrowing experiences of the Holocaust? Naked mice that say hell? Oh right, that's already happening.

Education proceeds from exploration, facts, and civil debate. These legislative efforts by the conservative right, on the other hand, seek to substitute political mandates for the considered judgment of professional educators, hindering ALL students’ ability to learn and engage in critical thinking across differences and disagreements. Americans of all ages deserve nothing less than a free and open exchange about history and the forces that shape our world today.
MAGA is opposed. We must all ask ourselves, "Why is that"?

Fortunately, I haven't heard of this type of ignorant MAGA interference in our area schools, yet, but we must be alert for the menacing and destructive movement's intrusion and tampering that is divisive & detrimental to our educational institutions, to our students, and to ALL of us.

Last edited by Yac; 02-08-2022 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-08-2022, 05:45 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
If it wasn’t being taught nobody would be complaining about it being taught, but it’s interesting how you bring up MAGA in regards to it. There’s a huge amount of folks against it as we’ve been seeing. Even Virginia ousted it by voting in Youngkin…but I do understand there’s private schools that teach it for those that are so interested.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybezl View Post
We are in Montclair, NJ. In Pittsburgh we would have access to great hockey clubs so it is not that important for us to have a school that has hockey. Absense of CRT and so called gender identity is the most important in a school for us. Unfortunately some of the posters don't understand how big this problem with CRT is and they incorrectly say that this CRT is just what always have been taught at schools and even equate MLK with CRT who would be very much against this CRT based on his life. We experienced CRT first hand. In NJ CRT and so called gender identity is now a requirement for K-12 public schools since March 2020, it is a law here. And yes they are teaching this garbage starting Kindergarten. Private schools are even worse. Our kids are currently enrolled in highly nationaly ranked private school and it is really bad here so that as you can see we are looking to escape... Now all the data about CRT is available online, you can watch many videos on YouTube related to Virginia parents defending their kids so please don't try to gaslight or whitewash CRT knowingly or unknowingly... I appreciate very much all the answers and advise from like minded parents or grandparents..

been to montclair many a time - montclair cycle salvage - when I was restoring bikes they had everything just crammed into a block of old buildings...and wasnt peter king from there when he used to do MMQB?

check out norwin

Old 02-08-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
And I echo what each of the above say.

Critical Race Theory is not being taught in our elementary or secondary schools.

As many before me have noted on forums and in newspapers and discussed at school boards and on and on: CRT is only taught at the graduate level, not at any lower level.

So what’s the problem? There isn’t one. But somewhere between the New York Times’s Pulitzer Prize winning 1619 Project and the MAGA addiction to race-baiting, a graduate level course called Critical Race Theory became code for anti-White racism or even anti-Americanism. And the CRT boogeyman was born & is being purposefully and successfully utilized as a fear mongering GOP cudgel.

Given that MAGA provocateurs do not have a firm grasp of the concept, it is hardly surprising that we are seeing laws---across the nation--- “banning” critical race theory that are nonsensical and hopelessly vague, leaving it anyone’s guess as to what is banned next. Black History Month? Books telling stories about harrowing experiences of the Holocaust? Naked mice that say hell? Oh right, that's already happening.

Education proceeds from exploration, facts, and civil debate. These legislative efforts by the conservative right, on the other hand, seek to substitute political mandates for the considered judgment of professional educators, hindering ALL students’ ability to learn and engage in critical thinking across differences and disagreements. Americans of all ages deserve nothing less than a free and open exchange about history and the forces that shape our world today.
MAGA is opposed. We must all ask ourselves, "Why is that"?

Fortunately, I haven't heard of this type of ignorant interference in our area schools, yet, but we must be alert for the menacing and destructive movement's intrusion and tampering that is divisive & detrimental to our educational institutions, to our students, and to ALL of us.

I dont mean to be critical at all, but every single word of this is false. Not only is it false, it is proven false and you can watch hundreds of hours of video proving it false.

There is no excuse for this. Just sayin.

Im gonna go out on a limb and guess - you have never had a kid in public school? Try talking to a teacher in one of the mandated CRT schools, like for example, ANY in VA. They generally despise what they are being told to do. Then you have chicago public where the very visible union loves it and they post the lessons and messages of hate on line. IF you had had kids, there is no way you would ever approve of them being told to dislike other children, or worse, being told that they are born bad and will get worse.

Stunning.

But in your defense, you appear to be a fan of 1619 - the complete re-definition of history to fit a narrative to do exactly the same thing. So no apples are falling far - its par.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:10 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times
^^^^
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh