Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 PM

165 posts, read 662,834 times

Advertisements

So I think I'm getting closer to finding a job in Pittsburgh I know there are a lot of us on this forum that are moving to Pbgh from all over and searching for housing. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same experiences as me

When I call the people and tell them that we are interested in the place they act surprised and beat around the bush like they don't want to rent the place. My husband and I are young professionals so I know it doesn't have anything to do with that. I don't know about the rest of you all but doing this from 3,000 miles away is FRUSTRATING!!!!!! I hope that is not going to sum up my Pittsburgh experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
I had the same experience trying to rent in Baltimore... people did not seem very interested in "making the sale." Not very accomodating to show the property, not returning phone calls or emails, places would often be filthy when we showed up, etc.

I don't think its unique to Pittsburgh.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 PM

85 posts, read 335,434 times
Isn't this your house? You said in another thread that you have your house for sale in Plum. I don't think this is the appropriate place to market your home.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
don't know about the rest of you all but doing this from 3,000 miles away is FRUSTRATING!!!!!!
I did this and didn't have much problem. Are you trying individuals are management companies? The management companies are more use to doing the long distance thing than individuals who really like to see you first etc.

If you keep having troubles try one of the nicer complexes that rents to a lot of graduate students.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM

165 posts, read 662,834 times
Thanks, but we finally found a place and we weren't looking to buy a place anyway. For the rest of you still looking for places good luck. I have never talked to so many realators/landlords/property management companies in my life. The funny thing to me is that all of them were dumbfounded by the fact that we A) wanted to rent from them B) rent from them for 2.5 years C) willing to pay a months rent to hold it for us. Apparently people from Pittsburgh aren't into doing business... Anyway despite all that we found a lovely place in Squirrel Hill and a landlord who would love to take our money

Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Apparently people from Pittsburgh aren't into doing business...
Yes, I've seen saying this on this forum for awhile now. Even a lot of the people doing business aren't very business like.

Anyhow, is your landlord by chance Glickman? He's usually happy to take peoples money.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Congrats juliempdx!! I have a personal soft spot for Squirrel Hill, I hope you like it there! That Eat n Park is known as "homo Eat n Park". It's where all the gay kids hang out, ESPECIALLY Friday and Saturday nights around 2 - 3 am. See you there!

:P

Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM

105 posts, read 366,554 times
Just wondering whether the "2.5 years" threw some of them? It shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're willing to sign a lease for that long, but since the usual thing is 1-year leases, I wonder if some landlords got confused. I suppose some may not want to sign a lease for that long because they don't get to raise the rent after a year.

By the way, the strange phenomenon of landlords who advertise apartments and then don't seem to want to deal with potential tenants is not limited to Pittsburgh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh