Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 12:01 AM

17 posts, read 23,425 times

Advertisements

We used to live in Columbus OH, so familiar with the MidWest. However, for the past few years, we have been in Denver, CO and gotten used to the sunshine and mountains
We are planning to relocate this summer to Pittsburgh with a 4 year old and looking for advice on neighborhoods, schools etc. I work from home and travel for work and occasionally will need to go into UPMC so easy access to airport (tollways ok) and relatively less painful drive to the medical center will be great. My partner will be commuting daily to the workplace which is near Jefferson Hills in the south, so planning to look for homes closer to his work. Our 4 yo will be going into kindergarten next year so looking for recommendations on great schools and neighborhoods based on our needs. I have read older threads comparing Mt Lebanon and Upper St Clair and have also researched Peters Twp a bit. Since most of those posts were old, wanted to ask if there are any changes, updates or fresh perspectives. Looking forward to hearing from locals and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 12:11 PM

10,171 posts, read 4,118,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc19 View Post
We used to live in Columbus OH, so familiar with the MidWest. However, for the past few years, we have been in Denver, CO and gotten used to the sunshine and mountains
We are planning to relocate this summer to Pittsburgh with a 4 year old and looking for advice on neighborhoods, schools etc. I work from home and travel for work and occasionally will need to go into UPMC so easy access to airport (tollways ok) and relatively less painful drive to the medical center will be great. My partner will be commuting daily to the workplace which is near Jefferson Hills in the south, so planning to look for homes closer to his work. Our 4 yo will be going into kindergarten next year so looking for recommendations on great schools and neighborhoods based on our needs. I have read older threads comparing Mt Lebanon and Upper St Clair and have also researched Peters Twp a bit. Since most of those posts were old, wanted to ask if there are any changes, updates or fresh perspectives. Looking forward to hearing from locals and thanks in advance!

I oft joke that pittsburgh does not have an airport...steubenville does and we borrow it ;-)

anyways, how often to an airport vs 'into UPMC' - which UPMC? THE UPMC, the medical college/hospital or any of the 497 locations with UPMC in the name? (Im only being KIND OF facetious...)

There are no easy 'during the day' paths from the airport (moon area) to oakland that do not involve sitting still in traffic so its almost like you need to look near the TJ or Mt Lebo area and get used to 'short cuts'

Im sure you are noticing we are making the news for the wrong reasons...to get where you want you cannot escape the taxes, but you can the 'problems'. You dont want a close suburb.

WE dont have mtns, but we got far steeper hills - like center in duquesne, and sunshine? 3-4 days per year - TOPS! ;-)

across the line in cheaper, safer bedroom community westmoreland, Im 11 miles as a crow flies to Pitt/UPMC. Year, Im not a crow, but the drive is no worse than anywhere else. I can make the airport at 0-dark 30 in 35 minutes fairly legal speed wise. daytime? hour. rush hour? hour half +

Old 04-18-2022, 10:55 AM

3,701 posts, read 2,629,791 times
I'd look at Peters Township. Though I favor the older housing designs in Mount Lebanon, that once great school district has gone woke.. Just too ridiculously political there. Dormont is cool older housing and Keystone Oaks is a fine school district. Or you could send your child to a great parochial like Seton Lasalle. Good luck to you.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:58 AM

10,244 posts, read 10,494,039 times
Quote:
It sounds like you will only be making occasional trips to UPMC and the Pittsburgh Airport. Based on that, and your partner working in West Jefferson Hills, my first choice would be the West Jefferson Hills School District. It is not the top district, but one of the better in the Pittsburgh area. My next three recommendations would be Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, and Peters Township.

If I was catching a lot of early morning flights, I would want to be closer to the airport. During non-rush hour traffic, West Jefferson Hills would be around 30-35 minutes to Oakland and around 45 minutes to the Airport.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:18 PM

1,901 posts, read 714,131 times
How long before the expressway from Rt 51 at Jefferson Hills to the airport is completed?

Old 04-18-2022, 09:16 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,853,555 times
Quote:
gotten used to the sunshine
Get over it. 4 of the first 100 days were sunny in Pittsburgh.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022...nny-days-2022/

Private school is the popular choice with parents.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 3,183 times
We moved from Boston and looked at Upper St Clair and Mt Lebo for the schools. Both have similar demographics (70% college educated), USC has more of a country club vibe with many parks/playgrounds/wooded hiking trails, a rec center, a mix of established and newer residential areas. Mt Lebanon is more walkable, nice houses with a lot of character and easier commute to the city. Also has two great business districts. But some parts are congested and neighborhoods seem a bit hodgepodge. Very high taxes in both. We picked USC since commute wasn't a factor (WFH) and the school is highly ranked with an IB program. Both districts are top notch though. Neighbors have been great, friendly and seem politically moderate at least on our street - probably lean conservative but think Romney not Trump. Peters is deeper red but I've heard is up and coming. Opposite end of the political spectrum from Mt Lebo.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:27 PM

10,244 posts, read 10,494,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Private school is the popular choice with parents.
How many parents are picking private schools in the districts that have been mentioned in this thread? The following have been mentioned: Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, Peters Township, and West Jefferson Hills.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:05 PM

17 posts, read 23,425 times
Thank you all for your input so far- seems like we are on the right track with looking at USC as our preferred choice. Although the property taxes are such a shocker! And very few homes on the market. If you have any good recommendations for realtors, please let me know.
Will look into other suggestions such as West Jefferson Hills as well - not sure about the private school options there. Are there charter schools in these school districts that are well ranked in case we get into a school district outside of USC?
Really trying to soak up as much sun possible here and will load up on the vitamin Ds before moving to the land of black and gold lore

Old 04-19-2022, 11:16 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,347,560 times
Bethel park and south park should be on your list. Both have above average schools and are both family friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh