Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 10:01 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I have no desire to be around today's 20 somethings or the bars/restaurants they frequent. I especially cringe every time I hear uptalking. It's the reason so many people move to 55+ communities.
I could see not wanting to be by Forbes Avenue/Oakland which was pretty loud. Primati Brothers was fine, but I felt like a dinosaur on its night out from a Carnegie Museum.

The only upside to 55+ communities is the transportation issue. They usually have mini bus transportation to shopping area on a regular basis. There is no dependency on city buses. Something which might be attractive to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 12:06 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

First, Pittsburgh get winds from the Great Lakes weather. It's freaking cold - colder than NYC! Walking on icy sidewalks isn't great as we age. Also this: https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...days-2022/?amp
Pittsburgh is much warmer than Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis, yet those cities have significant older populations that don't seem to have an issue with winters. Boston has similar winter weather to Pittsburgh as well and they also get significantly more snow. Denver is colder in the winter and snowier than Pittsburgh as well. I also personally visit Buffalo frequently and I am constantly amazed at how many older people live in the area despite the absolutely brutal winters with tons of snow. I think it is personal preference and not everyone loves the sun, humidity and heat.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:48 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Pittsburgh is much warmer than Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis, yet those cities have significant older populations that don't seem to have an issue with winters. Boston has similar winter weather to Pittsburgh as well and they also get significantly more snow. Denver is colder in the winter and snowier than Pittsburgh as well. I also personally visit Buffalo frequently and I am constantly amazed at how many older people live in the area despite the absolutely brutal winters with tons of snow. I think it is personal preference and not everyone loves the sun, humidity and heat.
It's true, but not for me.

I don't like to read past post by people. It feels like snooping. However, I did read some past history for this OP. She is living in NYC in a rent controlled apartment for $1,300 a month and lives on social security.

My feeling is the OP should research subsidized senior housing. What states have the best/most subsidized senior housing, the requirements and length of waiting lists.

When an apartment opens up, decide whether or not to take it.

Quote:
Find and Pay for Low Income Senior Housing

There are a number of government programs that help individuals who qualify to locate and pay for housing:

Housing Choice Vouchers: This program allows you to find the housing you want. The government provides the amount allowed by your voucher to the landlord each month.

Public Housing: These communities are generally apartment buildings or complexes that are overseen by a city or county public housing agency.

Low-Income Housing Tax Credit: This program provides housing to low income families and includes rents that don’t exceed a fixed amount.

Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly: This initiative helps seniors and the disabled. It offers housing for individuals who are able to live mostly on their own but need assistance with certain daily tasks like cleaning and cooking.

Affordable Senior Housing Search Tips

A good starting point to find low income senior apartments is to research options online. “The best place to begin is reviewing government resources such as HUD.gov,” says Wid Covey, director of business development and founder of SeniorLeaf in the Salt Lake City area.

Senior Housing Location Criteria
As you look around, you may find that a lot of the options are already filled and not available. This can be especially true in areas with a lower population. “The smaller the city, the faster low income housing options fill up,” Covey says. “If you’re flexible with your location, there are many more openings in large cities.”

Even if you decide to go to a more urban area to get into a senior apartment, expect the process to take some time. “You may still have to get on a waiting list, but there are more options in a larger city,” Covey says.

Some regions of the country have more affordable housing, which could make them viable options for low income apartments. West Virginia has the lowest average property prices of all 50 states, according to data from Blacktower Financial Management. Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, Alabama and Kansas round out the top 10 for lowest property prices in the country. “Many urban cities such as Atlanta, Austin, Denver, New York City, Pittsburgh and Tampa in particular have dedicated living for seniors with a low income,” says Chanin Ballance, co-founder of Roost, based in San Francisco and Vancouver, Washington.

Set Your Housing Priorities

If you find several apartment choices that fall within your budget, consider what’s important to you. “You may want housing that’s close to family, religious organizations or senior centers,” Wiacek says. You might also find some locations are close to places you tend to visit regularly, like grocery stores, parks or gyms.

For those with a disabling condition, it may be especially critical to find a living space that has easy access to important services like senior transportation and health care centers. “You want to find and choose an apartment that will work for you long-term and not just a year or two, so be honest about the assistance or care you may eventually require,” Ballance says.

Know the Warning Signs

In your housing search, you may come across red flags that a retirement community won't be a good fit. “Keep an eye out for excessive fees,” Wiacek says. “Fees are often applied to everyday items or perks you wouldn’t normally think twice about.” Check for charges related to laundry service, parking, pets and paying rent online.

Make sure the apartment is in good condition and then scout out the neighborhood. “Ask yourself if the community is clean and well maintained and if there is any debris or messy landscaping,” Wiacek says. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, follow up with questions before signing a rent contract.
https://money.usnews.com/money/retir...ior-apartments

There is this link (which I don't know anything about). https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/car...rdable-housing & https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...r-housing_type

I would start calling places.

I would also look into other cities closer to NYC - like Yonkers - https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...r-housing_type and White Plains https://www.seniorhousingnet.com/sen...r-housing_type

Quote:
The demand for an affordable senior living option is high. According to the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, the biggest expense of seniors is the costs associated with housing. This includes a mortgage or rental payment, along with utility expenses, maintenance, and repairs. Here are some facts to consider:

Thirty-seven percent of seniors over 80 years old are paying over 30 percent of their monthly income on housing. Unfortunately, that housing might not even meet their needs for accessibility, comfort, or safety.

This affects younger seniors as well, as more than one-third of seniors over 50 are spending 30 percent or more a month on housing.

Even more shocking is that 23 percent of senior homeowners, as well as 30 percent of renters, are spending more than half of their monthly income on housing costs.

Keep in mind, the recommended amount anyone should spend on housing is less than 25 percent. Finding affordable senior living is crucial for seniors who are living on fixed incomes. It is even more vital for seniors who are living below the national poverty level. If you are searching for resources and answers to questions about affordable senior housing, we are here to help you.

What Is Affordable Senior Housing and Care?

If you are a senior with limited mobility or chronic health issues who need medical aid or daily assistance, then you will need to move into an assisted living facility. However, assisted living is one of the more expensive types of senior living. This is due to the moderate or high level of care involved with senior services. If you require specialized care, such as memory care, dementia care, or diabetes care for seniors, then you will most likely pay a premium for this type of senior living. This brings up the next question concerning paying for assisted living for seniors.
What Are Some Affordable Senior Housing Options?

Back to budgeting for housing expenses, there are several options for affordable senior living.

Low-Income Senior Apartments and Condos

Seniors who are interested in low-income apartments and condos should check out the Good Samaritan Society. This is an evangelical Lutheran organization that provides religious housing for seniors on a budget. You would apply for budget-friendly senior apartments through the Good Samaritan Society branch in your area. The minimum age is as young as 50, which is beneficial for this age group of seniors. You do not have to be a member of a Lutheran church to use these services, but you will have to show proof of your low income.

Cooperative Housing for Seniors

In a housing cooperative for low-income seniors, you can save money by helping out. These co-ops typically involve apartment rentals, in which seniors all pitch in to handle maintaining the building. For example, seniors are given chores or jobs, such as answering the phones at the front desk or cleaning the community kitchen. In doing so, this helps to cut administration costs and makes senior living more affordable.

Section 8 HUD Housing for Seniors

HUD senior housing is a type of Section 8, which is government-controlled low-income housing. This type of senior housing may be available in apartments, condos, single-family homes, or townhomes. In order to be eligible, seniors must apply with a local housing authority. While there is almost always a long waiting list for HUD housing, seniors who meet certain qualifications may be provided with immediate housing. This includes being homeless or without a safe and sanitary place to live.
https://www.seniorliving.org/care/cost/affordable/

Old 05-03-2022, 01:56 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
OP hasn't checked in for days. It's just us arguing.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:09 PM

10,854 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
I have no desire to be around today's 20 somethings or the bars/restaurants they frequent. I especially cringe every time I hear uptalking. It's the reason so many people move to 55+ communities.

what is "uptalking"?

Old 05-04-2022, 06:22 AM

1,913 posts, read 739,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
what is "uptalking"?
Here's a good definition: Upspeak, also known as uptalk or high rising terminal (HRT), is a linguistic occurrence in which a speaker uses a rising inflection at the end of a declarative sentence. This rising intonation at the end of the sentence makes a statement sound like a question.

It's usually women with this acquired affliction, but in the last few years, I've heard teenage boys talk this way too. Every sentence sounds like a question. A friend says they do it in the mistaken belief that questions are less threatening to adults than statements. I don't know about that. It's a bad habit.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:27 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Here's a good definition: Upspeak, also known as uptalk or high rising terminal (HRT), is a linguistic occurrence in which a speaker uses a rising inflection at the end of a declarative sentence. This rising intonation at the end of the sentence makes a statement sound like a question.

It's usually women with this acquired affliction, but in the last few years, I've heard teenage boys talk this way too. Every sentence sounds like a question. A friend says they do it in the mistaken belief that questions are less threatening to adults than statements. I don't know about that. It's a bad habit.
Not sure how it's any different from back when teens used "like" as an interjection in the middle of a sentence whenever they couldn't think of what to say.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not sure how it's any different from back when teens used "like" as an interjection in the middle of a sentence whenever they couldn't think of what to say.
"Like" is bad, but uptalk makes me turn away in disgust. I just can't stand it.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The only upside to 55+ communities is the transportation issue. They usually have mini bus transportation to shopping area on a regular basis. There is no dependency on city buses. Something which might be attractive to the OP.
There are large 55+ apartment complexes in the South Hills with those mini busses to take people shopping.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:21 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
There are large 55+ apartment complexes in the South Hills with those mini busses to take people shopping.
That is not the same thing as living somewhere like Squirrel Hill and you know it.

The OP (if she ever comes back) is from NYC. That would be a huge, huge downgrade for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh