Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 05:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times

Advertisements

A dozen local high schools among top 50 in Pa., U.S. News & World Report says

There have been several discussions here on the reputation of school districts in the Pittsburgh area. This article provides a link to U.S. News & World Report rankings for PA and nationally. It ranks more than 17,800 high schools at the national level, state level, and local level. It also ranks charter high schools, magnet high schools and STEM high schools. It does not rank private schools because "students at private high schools across the country are not required to take the statewide accountability tests that are mandatory for students at U.S. public high schools."

The U.S. News & World Report rankings includes their methodology for the rankings showing how they weight different criteria. The one I don't agree with is graduation rate (10%). Why penalize a school for enforcing graduation requirements or rewarding a school for letting kids slide by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 05:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
A dozen local high schools among top 50 in Pa., U.S. News & World Report says

There have been several discussions here on the reputation of school districts in the Pittsburgh area. This article provides a link to U.S. News & World Report rankings for PA and nationally. It ranks more than 17,800 high schools at the national level, state level, and local level. It also ranks charter high schools, magnet high schools and STEM high schools. It does not rank private schools because "students at private high schools across the country are not required to take the statewide accountability tests that are mandatory for students at U.S. public high schools."

The U.S. News & World Report rankings includes their methodology for the rankings showing how they weight different criteria. The one I don't agree with is graduation rate (10%). Why penalize a school for enforcing graduation requirements or rewarding a school for letting kids slide by?

I don't think top tier schools let kids slide by. I know when i went to and my son graduated from usc they provided a ton of resources to poorer preforming kids. My son hated school and they did everything to work with him so he didn't get left behind. Luckily he discovered a love of learning in his senior year and is in college now.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I don't think top tier schools let kids slide by. I know when i went to and my son graduated from usc they provided a ton of resources to poorer preforming kids. My son hated school and they did everything to work with him so he didn't get left behind. Luckily he discovered a love of learning in his senior year and is in college now.
A few districts may uphold standards but I think the majority take the easy way out and let kids graduate if the meet minimum requirements. I've been on the receiving end of the call by the principal asking what we can do to enable a student to pass my class.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:24 PM

Another article on these rankings: https://triblive.com/local/regional/...ort-best-list/

Two Western Pennsylvania schools ranked in the top 10 for the state:

Peters Township High School (#7 in state, #412 nationally)
Pittsburgh CAPA (#9)

Others in the region to make the top 100 list in Pennsylvania are:

Upper Saint Clair High School (#14 in state)
Hampton High School (#15)
Fox Chapel Area High School (#20)
Mt Lebanon High School (#24)
Pine-Richland High School (#26)
North Allegheny High School (#28)
Quaker Valley High School (#30)
South Fayette High School (#32)
Franklin Regional Senior High School (#35)
Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy (#46)
Mars Area High School (#55)
Moon High School (#75)
Thomas Jefferson High School (#80)
Indiana Area Senior High School (#93)
Avonworth High School (#96)

Old 04-28-2022, 07:43 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia public schools districts? How did they fare?

Old 04-29-2022, 08:31 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia public schools districts? How did they fare?

The full ranking can be found here: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...vania/rankings

Old 05-08-2022, 02:58 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
I don't think top tier schools let kids slide by.
Mt. Lebo does. The school was one of the best in the state.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:24 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
come on, though - is it that 'it happens', or is it often and prevalent there?

they can't save EVERY kid and make sure each and every is ready for a university if that kid doesnt care himself and/or his parents do not push educational goals (*if they DIDNT, i am not saying they are bad parents - some are more adamant about their kids' success in high school than others)

*deflector clause

i dont know - i just 'feel', from hearing opinions and whatnot, that Mt. Lebanon is just great - if you have your children in their schools, let alone if you are fortunate to LIVE in that nice town.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
In 2020 91.4% of graduates went on to college in mt lebo. I am sure there are instances where students have passed who were borderline but i don't think it happens often.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:29 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Quote:
In 2020 91.4% of graduates went on to college in mt lebo. I am sure there are instances where students have passed who were borderline but i don't think it happens often.
That's not necessarily a "good thing".

Massive shortage of tradespeople now. Try getting anyone these days is difficult. Plus kids saddled with college tuition debt, etc. Being a plumber or HVAC or electrician can pay very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh