Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 12:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The restaurants in the city, at least in the trendier ones in the East End, are crazy packed. You can hardly move on the sidewalk at Bakery Square.
It’s great that area is thriving. How about the rest of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 11:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
The restaurants in the city, at least in the trendier ones in the East End, are crazy packed. You can hardly move on the sidewalk at Bakery Square.
Bakery Square is a busy area, but is there really a good restaurant there? Not to my knowledge. They all suck, unless you enjoy frozen crap from Sysco or USA Foods cooked up for you. No thanks.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:39 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Bakery Square is a busy area, but is there really a good restaurant there? Not to my knowledge. They all suck, unless you enjoy frozen crap from Sysco or USA Foods cooked up for you. No thanks.
as i nearly lifelong shadyside resident i can say with complete honesty i never once occurs to me to go to bakery square for anything

i'll go to the east end village strip mall staples if i have to ship something but bakery square offers nothing of value to me

bakery square is for suburbanites who want the experience of being in the city without actually being in the city

Old 05-30-2022, 10:06 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Try Tako or Alta Via. They both started with locations elsewhere but are local.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:12 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
Indeed. I love it over there

Old 05-31-2022, 05:49 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Quote:
You haven't been to BS in a while it seems.

Alta via, Tako, Galley Bakery square(replacement of smallman Galley, incubator concept) with 4 rotating concepts.

there are some good options for food for certain, and the crowds show it.

Was out this weekend in several neighborhoods for night life and can attest that all areas were lively and people living it up. Shiloh st was packed at all the bars, South side was south side as expected. Tons of partiers below 18th st and solid amounts of people at the bars/restaurants above 18th. Lawrenceville was lively, Goldmark was elbow to elbow, Walters was full capacity, New Am was still nearly full when they kicked everyone out at 215am( first time for me being out that late in quite a while)

overall it felt like people were just out living pretty normal and that was a breath of fresh air.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:51 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post

Alta via, Tako, Galley Bakery square(replacement of smallman Galley, incubator concept) with 4 rotating concepts.

Was out this weekend in several neighborhoods for night life and can attest that all areas were lively and people living it up. Shiloh st was packed at all the bars, South side was south side as expected. Tons of partiers below 18th st and solid amounts of people at the bars/restaurants above 18th. Lawrenceville was lively, Goldmark was elbow to elbow, Walters was full capacity, New Am was still nearly full when they kicked everyone out at 215am( first time for me being out that late in quite a while)

overall it felt like people were just out living pretty normal and that was a breath of fresh air.
Awesome to hear

Old 05-31-2022, 08:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post

You are correct, I haven't been out like that in a long while. Maybe I will do that this weekend coming up. I would like to see if things are getting back to.... well, as normal as it could be these days as the bar isn't very high. I think I will skip the South Side as it seems it has been taken over by the hood/guns/psychopath crowd. Not my scene.

Thanks for the update.

I will say this though. I find it hard to believe anything could be very good at Bakery Square. The rent is too high for them to really be good, or they have to charge one heck of a lot of money. You really need to own a building to have a restaurant, or have lower rent to be a really good place.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:34 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,333 times
yesterday was the last day for william penn tavern's shadyside original location - they have to move to lawrenceville

Shadyside’s William Penn Tavern is closing … and reopening in Lawrenceville

https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...awrenceveille/

"When his Shadyside landlord, nearby Henne Jewelers, decided to expand into the space, Rattner’s longtime lease wasn’t renewed."

still standing on uber-gentrified walnut street - shady grove, mario's east side, mardi gras and cappy's

Old 05-31-2022, 09:43 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Quote:
You are correct, I haven't been out like that in a long while. Maybe I will do that this weekend coming up. I would like to see if things are getting back to.... well, as normal as it could be these days as the bar isn't very high. I think I will skip the South Side as it seems it has been taken over by the hood/guns/psychopath crowd. Not my scene.

Thanks for the update.

I will say this though. I find it hard to believe anything could be very good at Bakery Square. The rent is too high for them to really be good, or they have to charge one heck of a lot of money. You really need to own a building to have a restaurant, or have lower rent to be a really good place.
S Side problems are really only a handful of bars between 12th and 17th st and between 1-3am. There are a few older crowd hang outs that are doing just fine and offer good times. Most dont stay open past about 11-12 which is fine for me most often.

The galley concept really addresses your point on rent for a good smaller restaurant. A small start up actually has the ability to be in a great location and build a following. Its a bit pricey, but not outlandishly by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh