Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 07:07 AM

10,848 posts, read 4,529,826 times

Advertisements

In the meantime....anyone been to the south side lately? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 AM

468 posts, read 123,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Others are protected when they receive the vaccination, as you pointed out when you mentioned lessening symptoms. Therefore, it's not a problem when an individual decides to get vaccinated. It is a problem when vaccination is compulsory. Vaccines are not a one-size-fits-all solution. Not when side effects can be potentially worse than the virus itself.

Besides, "my body my choice."
I think it is fine to question vaccine mandates, and I'm much more skeptical today than I was last August -- but simply questioning mandates is not "public policy." So, I ask you, if this is your talking point, what is your public policy?

- presumably, no mandates for federal government employees?

- how about state government employees, would it even be constitutional for the federal government to tell a state government that they cannot mandate the vaccine for state employees?

- how about the US military? Presumably a soldier cannot resort to "my body my choice" when being ordered into battle, right?

- how about private employers? Even mandate skeptic DeSantis, I believe, carved Disney out of his pronouncements on private employers, didn't he? What about an employee who asserts, "my body my choice" arguments in the context of being exposed to toxic chemicals, e.g., a welder who is being asked to work without adequate ventilation (perhaps with stainless steel or high manganese rods, which carry a greater risk than mild steel rods).

- how about religious institutions? The Catholic Church has shown a strong commitment to life, and it is both anti-abortion and pro-vaccine. Can a Catholic High School require students to get the vaccine, since it is part and parcel of it's religious mission? Can the government prevent the Church from imposing a vaccine requirement?

- Should the federal government even be pro-vaccine?

- What about health insurers? Fine to reject vaccine, but then do they have to pay for (potentially) preventable costs associated with a serious Covid case.

So, yea, I support your position against mandates, but what are the public policy parameters and implications.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:39 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
I think it is fine to question vaccine mandates, and I'm much more skeptical today than I was last August
and as more data comes out regarding safety and efficacy people will become even more skeptical

Old 06-24-2022, 08:44 AM

468 posts, read 123,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
and as more data comes out regarding safety and efficacy people will become even more skeptical
To be clear, I'm more skeptical about the propriety of enacting "mandates" for a highly-polarized populace (although some polling data I looked at recently suggested that as many as 60 percent of the US supported some level of mandates). I think if we had reached something closer to 70 - 80 percent acceptance, that would have been better, although, no doubt, there would still have been vigorous opposition from some sectors.

That said, I have not changed my thinking on the safety of the vaccine(s).

Old 06-24-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
To be clear, I'm more skeptical about the propriety of enacting "mandates" for a highly-polarized populace (although some polling data I looked at recently suggested that as many as 60 percent of the US supported some level of mandates). I think if we had reached something closer to 70 - 80 percent acceptance, that would have been better, although, no doubt, there would still have been vigorous opposition from some sectors.

That said, I have not changed my thinking on the safety of the vaccine(s).
that's good - people who believe the shots are safe should take every recommended booster

Old 06-24-2022, 09:52 AM

and if you want to understand why people are becoming more skeptical about the safety and efficacy of the shots

Dr. Birx Says She Knew of Natural COVID-19 Reinfections as Early as December 2020

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c50210...-december-2020

jordan - "when the government told us people who were vaccinated couldn't transmit it (covid), was that a lie or a guess?"

birx - ""I think it was hope that the vaccine would work in that way,"

jordan - "so they were either guessing, lying or hoping"

birx - "i think they were hoping"

TRUST THE HOPE, I MEAN SCIENCE!

Old 06-24-2022, 10:03 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
In the meantime....anyone been to the south side lately? lol
I know, right?

Old 06-24-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I know, right?
the south side is on its way to joining the ranks of a long list of failed mon valley communities like mckeesport and monessen

Old 06-24-2022, 10:30 AM

10,848 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
the south side is on its way to joining the ranks of a long list of failed mon valley communities like mckeesport and monessen

well as long as they keep the boat ramp open....burn it down for all I care....wait, they already started that ;-)

Old 06-24-2022, 11:58 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,022 times
Quote:
no its not. not even remotely the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh