Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 12:20 PM

1,170 posts, read 525,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
When you say "go to war," hasn't there been a low level war going on in the Donbas since 2014? Do you have any good sources for what the people of the Donbas favor now? I mean, even that "vote" in 2014 is a bit sketchy -- here's just one article on the issue: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27360146

So, Ukraine bombed Donbas, therefore, Russia needs to bomb Donbas x100 or x1000 or (pick your superlative) to "liberate" these folks? How does that make sense?
RUSSIA IS NOT BOMBING THE DONBAS - they have no reason to bomb people who identify as russian and speak russian and want to be independent of ukraine and part of russia - russia is bombing azov and ukrainian military targets in the donbas, successfully

maybe this will help

go to youtube - type in the words "patrick lancaster" - watch his on the ground videos from the donbas - he's been there for years interviewing local residents - listen to what they have to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 12:21 PM

1,170 posts, read 525,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
I really hope that all the individuals boasting that they "stand with Ukraine" are the first ones to be drafted. Same goes for all of those individuals who put that in their social media bios along with the flag of Ukraine. Same for all those with yard signs, car stickers and Ukraine flags flying outside their homes.
me too - send them straight to the front

Old 07-05-2022, 12:35 PM

468 posts, read 120,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
RUSSIA IS NOT BOMBING THE DONBAS - they have no reason to bomb people who identify as russian and speak russian and want to be independent of ukraine and part of russia - russia is bombing azov and ukrainian military targets in the donbas, successfully

maybe this will help

go to youtube - type in the words "patrick lancaster" - watch his on the ground videos from the donbas - he's been there for years interviewing local residents - listen to what they have to say
How about you go to the vice news site and type in the words, "patrick lancaster" - you'll get great content like this:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxne...ter-journalist

Old 07-05-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I guess you cannot support US national security policy unless you are ready to go the front, I'm sure that's in our constitution somewhere.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,355,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
Yes, I guess you cannot support US national security policy unless you are ready to go the front, I'm sure that's in our constitution somewhere.
How does Ukraine have anything to do with our national security?

Old 07-05-2022, 12:44 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Bingo…talk is cheap. They should head over and make a difference.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:49 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,880,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
I really hope that all the individuals boasting that they "stand with Ukraine" are the first ones to be drafted. Same goes for all of those individuals who put that in their social media bios along with the flag of Ukraine. Same for all those with yard signs, car stickers and Ukraine flags flying outside their homes.
I volunteered to serve in the US military. Did you, or do you just like to talk tough on the internet while using the name of a fictional tough guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo. They should be there already helping them fight, and should be sending them money to aid in their fight.
Ukrainian flag on my social media profile, and flying from my house. And I've sent money directly to the Ukrainian military.

Quote:
Like Mariupol? That predominantly Russian-speaking city?

Youre so far off of the rails on this one that even I would agree with Doowlle if he'd accuse you of deliberately spreading Russian propaganda.

So I'll ask the three of you: which is better for US interests: fighting a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine, or choosing not to deter Putin and thereby putting NATO allies (that we're legally obligated to defend) at risk?

Personally, I'd rather pay in gold for a proxy war in Ukraine than pay in blood for a shooting war in the Baltics or Poland.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
It is in the US national interest to halt the growing influence of Russia and illiberal regimes. It is a question of making a "downpayment" on world security and world stability, at a (relatively) low cost to the US -- especially when you consider that we spend almost a trillion on defense every year. We could wait. We could allow Russia to take over Ukraine, we could allow NATO to become a feckless, hollowed out institution, and then what do we do when Russia lines up forces on the border of Poland, a NATO member, that we are obligated to defend. So, I'm sorry, but to my thinking, it makes sense to fight this proxy battle in Ukraine -- which has weakened Russia, both militarily as well as with respect to its standing in the world. The alternative is a newly-aggressive and assertive Russia, poised on NATO's border, with a leader with expansionist designs.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,880,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Because the fear is that if Putin isnt stopped in Ukraine, he'll next want to 'liberate' the sizeable Russian minorities in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania - all of which are NATO allies, who we are legally-obligated to defend.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:00 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I volunteered to serve in the US military. Did you, or do you just like to talk tough on the internet while using the name of a fictional tough guy?

Ukrainian flag on my social media profile, and flying from my house. And I've sent money directly to the Ukrainian military.

Like Mariupol? That predominantly Russian-speaking city?

Youre so far off of the rails on this one that even I would agree with Doowlle if he'd accuse you of deliberately spreading Russian propaganda.

So I'll ask the three of you: which is better for US interests: fighting a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine, or choosing not to deter Putin and thereby putting NATO allies (that we're legally obligated to defend) at risk?

Personally, I'd rather pay in gold for a proxy war in Ukraine than pay in blood for a shooting war in the Baltics or Poland.
This war should’ve never happened to begin with, but Sleepy Joe can’t keep peace with foreign leaders, and this is the 2nd time Putin has attacked with him in office..but I totally support Ukraine and have from the beginning…and imo those crying the most of what’s happening over there and are so scared of Putin, should go help out and actually do something about it, and I’m not saying you’re one of them.

And let’s not forget Sleepy Joe got into bed with Putin for oil, and a whole lot of money was made by Putin to help fund his war. Such a botched 16+ months.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-05-2022 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh