Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 60,163 times

Advertisements

I did...religiously!

Share your memories!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 11:30 AM

267 posts, read 814,942 times
I used to go to the Upstage IN the '80s. My husband was going to Pitt and graduated in '86. We used to go there and dance to 80s music that was current at the time - Depech Mode, New Order, Pixies - LOL! There was a great DJ named Harry the Wire who had awesome music, and I read that he passed away a few months before we left Pittsburgh.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,841 times
I loved that club and Harry was my bud, such a weird little guy but cool as hell. I was sorry to see him pass but he did have some chronic health issues. I played guitar for a band called Boystown, The Beating and The Cowboys From Hell at the time and almost forgot about the upstage. Good memories, thanks for the memory jog.

Ron upperquark@gmail.com

Old 12-19-2008, 10:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,475 times
I first started going to The Upstage in 1986 when radio station WXXP 100.7 "The Station That Dared To Be Different" would have their nights. This would be the place to continue to hear 80s alternative like The Smiths, Gene Loves Jezebel, Echo and The Bunnymen etc. Into the the 1990s, Thursday night was 80s night at The Upstage. It was really alternative 80s as opposed to Micheal Jackson and Madonna 80s. I would go until the mid 1990s, when I started to hear a lot of stuff from the late 80s like Tone Loc and The Beastie Boys. I was getting older, so this music did not appeal to me. To the students who were at Pitt and CMU at the time, this was they wanted to hear. Retro night took on a more "poppy" feel rather than the underground feel that made the The Upstage so appealing to 80s hipsters.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 AM

Default upstage 100.7

Man I forgot about 100.7, Chris Winter was a fun girl to party with, she's still around but I don't see her anymore. Does anyone have memories of the Electric Banana as well???

Old 12-20-2008, 11:41 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,979 times
I miss The Upstage I used to go there for Ceremony and 80's night.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 PM

267 posts, read 814,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boystown View Post
Man I forgot about 100.7, Chris Winter was a fun girl to party with, she's still around but I don't see her anymore. Does anyone have memories of the Electric Banana as well???
I remember the Banana!! And the Decade and Graffitti and the Syria Mosque, where I saw the B-52s and Lou Reed. Whoa. Hard to believe all that was 20 some years ago. I still love all that music.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 PM

To this day, I still love 80s retro, mostly alternative/new wave/indie 80s, when alternative was alternative, not mainstream. Somewhere along the line, the big enchiladas decided that they were going to capitalize on the term "alternative" because they knew that teeny boppers wanted to be cool by being alternative. So "alternative" stations like 105.9 The X, which were very powerful in watttage and owned by a huge conglomerate(not very alternative) opened up across the nation. Anyway, my screen name is nuwaver88 in tribute to new wave music, and the year 1988, when IMHO new wave fizzled out along with 100.7 WXXP. Their last song was by REM, " It's the end of the world as we know it" Amen.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Default banana

"I remember the Banana!! And the Decade and Graffitti and the Syria Mosque, where I saw the B-52s and Lou Reed. Whoa. Hard to believe all that was 20 some years ago. I still love all that music."

If I had a nickle for every time I played the Banana, oh wait, Johnny and judy Paid me about a nickle each time I did play..........lol.........It is hard to believe that was 20 plus years ago..........I guess that makes me 30 now grin

Old 12-26-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boystown View Post
"I remember the Banana!! And the Decade and Graffitti and the Syria Mosque, where I saw the B-52s and Lou Reed. Whoa. Hard to believe all that was 20 some years ago. I still love all that music."

If I had a nickle for every time I played the Banana, oh wait, Johnny and judy Paid me about a nickle each time I did play..........lol.........It is hard to believe that was 20 plus years ago..........I guess that makes me 30 now grin

Yeah, but Judy and Johnny fed a lot of the musicians their famous meatballs and pasta. They knew that I was of Italian descent, and they always wanted to talk to me about Italian food as opposed to music or the bands on stage. Sure enough, several years ago the Electric Banana was converted into Zarras's Italian Restaurant. Is it still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh