Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 05:51 AM

987 posts, read 280,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Cheap? You ain't seen nothin'. In the Pittsburgh that I knew, you could buy a decent house in move-in condition in a decent location for $80-90,000. That's not so much the case these days. Why was it so cheap? The simplest reason in the world: it's just not that desirable of a place to live.

Old man yells at cloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 06:42 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Old man yells at cloud.
Woke child posts condescending remark on internet to boost his fragile ego

Old 08-08-2022, 07:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
We discovered Troy Hill Reserve this year. What a hidden gem! An old school first ring burb. Decent cheap housing centrally located. Better than Millvale.
It is an interesting location. Not the greatest to cycle out of perhaps due to having a pretty big hill to climb going home, but not horrible either as there is a pretty good connection coming down toward Penn Brewery and once you are there you are home free to everywhere really. I was eyeing that cool contemporary with that view of the city right next to the gas station (that part kind of sucked), but was still interested in that place. I have been to some bar up there and it was cool, but that was a very long time ago. Last time I was up there was two years ago for the dirty dozen bike race. That hill is pretty tough and not very fun due to no shoulder at all. lol

Old 08-08-2022, 11:18 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Woke child posts condescending remark on internet to boost his fragile ego
Bingo

Old 08-08-2022, 11:52 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is an interesting location. Not the greatest to cycle out of perhaps due to having a pretty big hill to climb going home, but not horrible either as there is a pretty good connection coming down toward Penn Brewery and once you are there you are home free to everywhere really. I was eyeing that cool contemporary with that view of the city right next to the gas station (that part kind of sucked), but was still interested in that place. I have been to some bar up there and it was cool, but that was a very long time ago. Last time I was up there was two years ago for the dirty dozen bike race. That hill is pretty tough and not very fun due to no shoulder at all. lol
I love Troy Hill and Reserve. A little world of its own up there. I run up there from time to time. The hills are awesome. Not cheap to buy there anymore. Nice views of the city and river.

My favorite restoration was the Pear & Pickle. Sad to see it close and hoping something replaces it soon. Had a road slide which remained closed for a couple years. Cool hilltop cemetery too. Great for photos of the city.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:53 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
Oddly enough, I came across just a few weeks ago some old photos that we took from the top of Electric Hill, overlooking the city while there was large roof fire at Kaufman's. It still kind of amazes me that anything was built there. There are old houses literally hanging off cliffs and the steepest city streets I've ever seen. I was told it was developed a bit later than surrounding areas because horses couldn't pull anything up the slopes.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Oddly enough, I came across just a few weeks ago some old photos that we took from the top of Electric Hill, overlooking the city while there was large roof fire at Kaufman's. It still kind of amazes me that anything was built there. There are old houses literally hanging off cliffs and the steepest city streets I've ever seen. I was told it was developed a bit later than surrounding areas because horses couldn't pull anything up the slopes.
Sorry to hijack, do you mean television hill?

Old 08-08-2022, 02:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
So we always called it "electric hill", after googling it, I only see it referenced advertising a garage sale. I guess its the same thing? Up above Reserve Elementary.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:06 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
So we always called it "electric hill", after googling it, I only see it referenced advertising a garage sale. I guess its the same thing? Up above Reserve Elementary.
Hm, never knew it to be called Electric Hill. I learned something today.

The PXI television hill site is still fenced in and vacant. The annual Fineview Stepathon 5 mile run goes past it every year. Looove me some Fineview.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:11 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Hm, never knew it to be called Electric Hill. I learned something today.

The PXI television hill site is still fenced in and vacant. The annual Fineview Stepathon 5 mile run goes past it every year. Looove me some Fineview.
you mean the neighborhood? would you live there? is it more 'stable', meaning no spates of violence and normal people who arent bats- crazy? i know where Fineview is but if driving thru there, would probably mistakenly say 'oh, this is perry south'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh