Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 05:10 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well the school is a financial mess
The school scandal was the nail in the coffin. Penn Hills has literally become a dump. The roads are lined with trash. The once beautiful mid century homes are in disrepair. The town is a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 06:49 AM

987 posts, read 280,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The school scandal was the nail in the coffin. Penn Hills has literally become a dump. The roads are lined with trash. The once beautiful mid century homes are in disrepair. The town is a mess.

Nah, this isn't true.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:14 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Well it isn't as nice as it once was, but Penn Hills is very large and you can live well there. The school isn't NEARLY what it used to be of course. There was a time Penn Hills was a very good school district, but times changed and people left. Do people know that Penn Hills used to have graduating classes over 1,200 and if I remember correctly nearing 2,000. Now they have less than 300. Wow talk about declining in a big way. They also had very good teachers and a lot of opportunity for AP classes. Oh my how times have changed. I still have a soft spot for Penn Hills though. Gone is Alcoma CC and Churchill as the upper middle moved down to lower middle at best. The middle has been beaten down hard.

Ah well, I do think policing in the big districts are a good idea. Penn Hills and North Allegheny are smart to do what they are doing. Keep kids and teachers safe from the outsiders.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Yes, policing is a good idea. Letting crazy people have guns is a really bad idea but they do have their own group that lobbies for their rights.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:54 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nah, this isn't true.
i agree. its not a 'dump'....but not what it once was, like a lot of places, since we as a people overall have become cold, callous, about material comforts rather than more neighborhood-oriented (and so kept our properties up, like the old italians of oakland had years ago).

i have a few old friends who moved out to penn hills over the decades, either as kids with their parents or as adults. they actually did so because they improved their living standards. they'd agree in casual discussion that it isnt as 'nice' (my word) as it was even in the 1990s, because of crime, friendliness, and dirtier streets with more ramshackle, weed-strewn properties.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:25 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Yooz a damn lie. I am working on Penn Hills flips as we speak. Penn Hills has struggles being the second largest municipality in Western PA. No concentrated poverty......With new (overpriced) school facilities and a robust black middle class. Penn hills has struggles but it is far from dead.....Penn Hills is actually a well rounded mature suburb.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:52 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
There is a lot of investment money coming into penn hills, it may decline a little but it will not collapse. My friends buy or try to buy any affordable house that comes along in that area and the demand is strong.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:32 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There is a lot of investment money coming into penn hills, it may decline a little but it will not collapse. My friends buy or try to buy any affordable house that comes along in that area and the demand is strong.
how so? commercial development?

Old 08-25-2022, 02:12 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
how so? commercial development?
All the above. Lots of new black owned businesses focusing on everything from wellness to shipping goods. Lots of old and new food establishments as well as mini food truck scene.

I work in a county leased building filled with small business start ups.

I still cant understand why Penn Hills does not have a Starbucks....

Old 08-25-2022, 07:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
At least students realize a problem. No surprise they can’t fill the positions, however.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/targ...0xbw1bsaxwomhg

“But at a recent summit on youth violence, a handful of students from a variety of schools across the Pittsburgh region had some surprising comments.

“We need more security. We need more police,” said one student.

“There needs to be more security. Students need to feel secure,” said another student.

Pittsburgh Mayor Ed Gainey attended that summit. He was caught off guard by the comments about wanting more security and police in schools.

“Sometimes when you hear from advocacy groups, ... they talk about less police,” said Mayor Gainey. “What I heard from our kids today is that they want to see more police because that’s how they feel safe in schools.”

Target 11 reached out to OnePA but didn’t hear back. Target 11 also contacted the three school board members who’ve suggested eliminating school police. One board member responded and said the district has not voted to reduce security staff.

While that is true, the district has been unable to find replacements for the school police officers who have left the district.“
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh