Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As previously noted, you quoted something I wrote nearly four years ago, and I believe I was using 2003 statistics at the time.

That said, if you play around with this interactive map last updated in 2010 . . .

Neighborhood crime: 2009 statistics

. . . you'll see that Bloomfield and Shadyside still have a somewhat elevated number of robberies. That's basically because active business districts are a magnet for that sort of crime, and so I would continue to suggest people exercise basic urban precautions in those neighborhoods, particularly later at night.
I definitely didn't notice the date of the thread when I replied. I just saw it on the first page of the PGH forum and hit reply. You are probably right given 2003 stats, however that map you referenced is misleading. Obviously anyone should be more cautious at night, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to walk alone in Bloomfield at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
however that map you referenced is misleading. Obviously anyone should be more cautious at night, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to walk alone in Bloomfield at night.
I think the map accurately reflects that Bloomfield and Shadyside have somewhat elevated robbery rates. It is too bad there isn't one of these for Pittsburgh, but these maps of robbery rates by hour in various cities confirms that more robberies tend to happen in the late-afternoon to night period:

When does crime happen?

That said, I don't know if I would give the exact same advice today as I gave then, but I do think extra precautions in commercial areas at night is a good idea, and for some people that might mean trying to walk with other people when possible.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I think the map accurately reflects that Bloomfield and Shadyside have somewhat elevated robbery rates. It is too bad there isn't one of these for Pittsburgh, but these maps of robbery rates by hour in various cities confirms that more robberies tend to happen in the late-afternoon to night period:

When does crime happen?

That said, I don't know if I would give the exact same advice today as I gave then, but I do think extra precautions in commercial areas at night is a good idea, and for some people that might mean trying to walk with other people when possible.
Going back to Bloomfield specifically, crime that happens in garfield bleeds into bloomfield statistics, making the numbers seem higher than they actually are.

Obviously crime happens more at night...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Going back to Bloomfield specifically, crime that happens in garfield bleeds into bloomfield statistics, making the numbers seem higher than they actually are.
Some stuff happens around Penn next to Garfield, but a lot of it also happens around Liberty, and some around Baum:

Bloomfield, Pittsburgh, PA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

And again, Shadyside also has elevated robbery rates.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Some stuff happens around Penn next to Garfield, but a lot of it also happens around Liberty, and some around Baum:

Bloomfield, Pittsburgh, PA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

And again, Shadyside also has elevated robbery rates.
OK...and my point is simply that it isn't bad enough to warn people not to walk alone. I know what it is like...I live there...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Fair enough. All I am saying now, four years later, is that people should be aware there is a somewhat elevated risk of street crime in the commercial areas of Bloomfield and Shadyside, particularly at night, and they should exercise reasonable precautions. But of course that doesn't take away from the fact those are still great neighborhoods, including at night.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I've hung out at Bloomfield at night many many times with no problems. The only issue I've ever had was some dudes who crashed our house party and then went to their car to get a gun when we kicked them out. That was hairy, but other than that it's all good.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Not that I don't think Bloomfield isn't a fine, generally safe neighborhood, but almost everyone I know who lives there has a story about being mugged, harassed, threatened, car broken into, etc. I guess that could be par for the course for being an active city neighborhood.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
For the record there was a rash of burglaries recently in and around Friendship and Bloomfield. The police arrested a homeless man in connection with them. In addition there was recently a spate of muggings in Shadyside that, to my knowledge, still hasn't been resolved. With that being said my partner and I have walked around near his Shadyside home at night before without feeling threatened and will likely continue to do so.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not that I don't think Bloomfield isn't a fine, generally safe neighborhood, but almost everyone I know who lives there has a story about being mugged, harassed, threatened, car broken into, etc. I guess that could be par for the course for being an active city neighborhood.
As steel city said, there is a string of robberies going through the area right now, but that is not normal. It really isn't any worse than shadyside/squirrel hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh