Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2023, 08:01 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I never heard of moneytransfers.com and given that they made no mention of population, I wish they hadn't existed. Vermont is the poorest by GDP? Sure, that is a totally irrelevant number if you aren't taking population into account.

The "wonderful" thing about all of this, one can find a way to justify almost any point. Is Florida's economy stronger than Pennsylvania? Well, those that say FL is far stronger can point to a ton of things. But you know what? Our GDP per capita is still far higher than that of Florida. Florida's is actually shockingly low, until your remember how much of their economy is dominating by low paying service jobs (ie, taking tickets at Disney or organizing Bingo at Shady Pines)

https://www.investopedia.com/article...gdp-capita.asp

Then we have some sparsely populated states with extraction economies, making their GDP per capita super high. SC is an interesting one, only that I have spent a lot of time there, there has been many high profile large scale industrial developments relatively recently (Boeing, Volvo, BMW's largest plant) but its still pretty poor overall.
The numbers match what Is publicly available on the Fred site I posted earlier which come from official sources. I agree with your points about FL and such, not disputing that. I was simply showing the raw GDP numbers which do paint part of the picture.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PANGSP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 08:05 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I am not saying your resources are inaccurate, I am saying they are irrelevant. Indonesia's economy is slightly larger than Pennsylvania's. Is your average Indonesian slightly better off than your average Pennsylvanian? That is all that matters.

Hey, Monaco has a smaller GDP than even Vermont. They must all be impoverished!!! See my point?

Old 01-28-2023, 09:59 PM

GDP metric was never built to determine quality of life / better off than someone else’s. Plus you’re twisting my points as I was pointing out raw numbers which do matter on the overall scale of that economy. But as I mentioned before, it is only part of said equation to determine overall economic health and stability. So I don’t know why you’re debating with me as I was not even making the point that GDP = better life for individuals or the be all determination. I totally know that. So please don’t put words in my mouth.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
GDP metric was never built to determine quality of life / better off than someone else’s. Plus you’re twisting my points as I was pointing out raw numbers which do matter on the overall scale of that economy. But as I mentioned before, it is only part of said equation to determine overall economic health and stability. So I don’t know why you’re debating with me as I was not even making the point that GDP = better life for individuals or the be all determination. I totally know that. So please don’t put words in my mouth.

No they don't, for reasons I just pointed out (unless you think Indonesia is better off than Monaco?). You posted an article that would leave anyone to believe that Vermont is the poorest state in the nation and its not. If you weren't trying to make that point, just what point are you trying to make?

Old 01-28-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
No they don't, for reasons I just pointed out (unless you think Indonesia is better off than Monaco?). You posted an article that would leave anyone to believe that Vermont is the poorest state in the nation and its not. If you weren't trying to make that point, just what point are you trying to make?
AGain putting words in other peoples mouth. Everyone who follows this stuff knows what GDP is, I was not stating anything you mentioned. I pointing to that link to show the overall economic output by measuring the final goods and services (which is what GDP is) is per state. That’s it. You’re adding words and thoughts into other peoples statements which I was not conveying.

If I wanted to show the poorest state, or make the point that the people live worse off in Vermont than WV, I would not only be using GDP to prove that.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:10 PM

[quote=Higherho;64800124]AGain putting words in other peoples mouth. Everyone who follows this stuff knows what GDP is, I was not stating anything you mentioned. I pointing to that link to show the overall economic output by measuring the final goods and services (which is what GDP is) is per state. That’s it. You’re adding words and thoughts into other peoples statements which I was not conveying.

If I wanted to show the poorest state, or make the point that the people live worse off in Vermont than WV, I would not only be using GDP to prove that.[/quote]

So before trying to make your point, mind sharing what that "point" actually is?

One could just say PA is doing okay but has issues, better than some, worse than others. Why is that so difficult to accept?

Old 01-28-2023, 11:17 PM

No, I think we should stop as we’re getting way off topic of Pittsburgh business update and we don’t want another thread closed. So let’s cut it here.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Our GDP per capita is still far higher than that of Florida. Florida's is actually shockingly low, until your remember how much of their economy is dominating by low paying service jobs
Florida's GDP per capita is skewed lower by the number of retirees moving there. When people retire, they stop producing, basically exiting the economy. They still do require services, though, especially in old age, but you're right that those service jobs tend to have low pay, except for medical services. Because of these two factors, Florida is always going to be a laggard in GDP per capita compared to other populous states.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:22 AM

194 posts, read 85,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Florida's GDP per capita is skewed lower by the number of retirees moving there. When people retire, they stop producing, basically exiting the economy. They still do require services, though, especially in old age, but you're right that those service jobs tend to have low pay, except for medical services. Because of these two factors, Florida is always going to be a laggard in GDP per capita compared to other populous states.
Florida is just a big retirement home and the Villages are the STD capital of the USA. Florida isn’t growing due to a huge influx of job growth. Disney keeps the state relevant for vacationers.

It would be nice if PA could grow but it is unable to keep immigrants that are bused there.

And GDP is one metric that really doesn’t tell the whole story. Vermont has low GDP but there is growth and a high quality of life. It isn’t poor. Vermont is a safer and cleaner place to live than Florida.

I’m just seeing a lot of work that needs done for PA and Pittsburgh. I am interested in seeing how many PA transplants end up in Ohio at the Intel plant.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The best state to retire in if you want to be outside in sunshine. Sign me up. Such a wealthy powerful state with great amenities. Fun and sun and something we don't have as much....freedom to choose how we live.

Once you have your two homes, one in FL and one in PA, you of course switch to FL as your primary residence due to costs. No state income tax, so no filing needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh