Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 11:55 AM

3,414 posts, read 5,126,326 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be traveling with our 2-year old daughter to Pittsburgh in a few weeks. We're looking for recommendations on things to do and areas to stay. As far as places to stay, we'd rather to be in a neighborhood than in Downtown if possible. We really like quaint urban neighborhoods that have local shops, restaurant, independent coffee stores, etc.

Since it might be getting cold by then, we'd like to find some indoor activities for our daughter. We're thinking about the Aviary, and maybe the Children's Museum, but wanted to see if there were any less well-known recommendations.

Despite living in Cleveland all my life, this will be my first real trip to Pittsburgh (other than IKEA), so I'm excited! Any help will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 12:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
I believe light up night is on the 15th, there is usually a Christmas village set up in market square and if cold enough the ice skating at ppg place right next door. The hornes Christmas tree is also a cool sight. I fully recommend the children's museum.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:11 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Try the Mansions on Fifth maybe. It puts you in a very quick walk from the Shadyside business district and close to Oakland museums.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Try the Mansions on Fifth maybe. It puts you in a very quick walk from the Shadyside business district and close to Oakland museums.
Oakland museums will be a little boring for a 2 year old.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:11 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Oakland museums will be a little boring for a 2 year old.

Obviously art is just horrible, but the gaint taxidermy animals in Natural History are great for kids. Plus the dinosaurs. That plus Phipps were our go to with a toddler.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I'd try and stay on the North Side. Aside from the Aviary and the Children's Museum, your child may also get something out of the Carnegie Science Center (the top floor has a section for little kids). All of those areas are walkable from any of the core urban neighborhoods of the North Side which are fun to explore on foot (Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, Deutschtown).

Getting a hotel in the area is difficult (the hotels are on the North Shore, which isn't as nice) but you can find a place to stay on airbnb for $200 a night (maybe a bit less).

Old 11-02-2022, 06:04 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
Lunch, or better yet, dinner at a place along Grandview overlooking downtown as the lights come on is fantastic. I think we did Vue 412 a few years ago, it was great. If it is not too busy, I think your 2yr old would be fine there.

I think a 2yr old would like the Duquesne Incline too.

If you're into beer, I like Church Brew works, again if it is not too busy, plenty of room for a toddler to walk around and explore. I really like the Penn Brewery for pilseners and lagers, if you're into that. I'm sure there are plenty of other micros I have yet to explore and find the real gems.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:41 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd try and stay on the North Side. Aside from the Aviary and the Children's Museum, your child may also get something out of the Carnegie Science Center (the top floor has a section for little kids). All of those areas are walkable from any of the core urban neighborhoods of the North Side which are fun to explore on foot (Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, Deutschtown).

Getting a hotel in the area is difficult (the hotels are on the North Shore, which isn't as nice) but you can find a place to stay on airbnb for $200 a night (maybe a bit less).
I second this notion of staying on the North Side. The little one might like visiting Randyland (it's free) if for no other reason than it's colorful and pretty. No need to stay long, either. If it's cold outside (it's hard to tell what the weather's going to be like these days) you could always check it out on another visit as it's an outdoor venue.

The Children's Museum is fantastic, O.P., and is fun for kids and adults alike as is the Aviary. The Science Center is fun, but it's not dissimilar to Cleveland's own Great Lakes Science Center. Worth a visit, of course, but if you're trying to pack some different things for your family to do, I'd move on to things that are a bit more unique to Pittsburgh.

Too bad it's not summertime any longer or I'd recommend taking yourself and the little one to get an icy ball from Gus and Ya-Ya's cart that's (seasonally) stationed not far from the Aviary.

If you decide to leave the North Side, someone suggested taking a trip up the incline which was a very good idea, too.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:01 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Try getting a room at The Priory, a boutique old little hotel with the coolest, smallest bar in Pittsburgh.

Beware though, the North Side is becoming a homeless, druggie tent city. Near Allegheny Park area mostly, sadly. Don't want to scare you away though. it's really a black eye on the city. So much has gone downhill since Peduto left office.

Actually, I'd stay in the Squirrel Hill, Shadyside area. Look up a bed and breakfast there. Close to city parks and museums, Phipps.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:18 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Try getting a room at The Priory, a boutique old little hotel with the coolest, smallest bar in Pittsburgh.

Beware though, the North Side is becoming a homeless, druggie tent city. Near Allegheny Park area mostly, sadly. Don't want to scare you away though. it's really a black eye on the city. So much has gone downhill since Peduto left office.

Actually, I'd stay in the Squirrel Hill, Shadyside area. Look up a bed and breakfast there. Close to city parks and museums, Phipps.
We stayed in the Priory about 3 years ago. It was pretty cool (didn't realize they used to have boxing matches in there too.) We had a good stay, but the area around was a bit sketchy and as I recall, there were a few bars/restaurants that were not open or had odd hours.

We also stayed downtown, right near the point park, forget the hotel, and this was in the midst of Covid. It was pretty desolate but we had a decent time nonetheless.

Your idea of B&B sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh