Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 207,293 times

Advertisements

finding the right place. Originally from Michigan and love it but the economy may not let us move back there. We currently live in AZ, but 11 years here is plenty. I would like to know about some of the better suburbs in Pittsburgh. We would like a family oriented setting with good schools and low crime. I would like a little land, maybe .5 to 1 acre but still close to city amenities if possible, maybe 15-20 mins. Budget is around $150-200k. Also, how is the economy in the 'burgh? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 20,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
finding the right place. Originally from Michigan and love it but the economy may not let us move back there. We currently live in AZ, but 11 years here is plenty. I would like to know about some of the better suburbs in Pittsburgh. We would like a family oriented setting with good schools and low crime. I would like a little land, maybe .5 to 1 acre but still close to city amenities if possible, maybe 15-20 mins. Budget is around $150-200k. Also, how is the economy in the 'burgh? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Plum's a great neighborhood. It sounds like it fits your bill. I have lived there all my life, and can tell you it's safe, and very friendly, and easy to get into the city via route 28, which cuts out all that parkway traffic. My parents liked Plum so much they chose to retire there, but unfortunately, they both passed away within a year of each other. Now their house is up for sale! But there are plenty of homes for sale in Plum. You ought to check it out!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,540 times
Pittsburgh economy is improving, but the job market can still be rough. Pittsburgh suffered from many of the same problems as Detroit, but not to as a severe of a degree. Steel Mills used to fuel the Pittsburgh economy, cheap foreign steel all but destroyed the steel industry in the U.S. The population has been declining for years.

It's really a nice city though. Pittsburgh has a low cost of living, and the crime rate isn't bad. There's always something to be wether it be the Three Rivers Regatta, or street fair, or any number of things. The scenery is beautriful, lot and lot of trees, huge hills. Despite what you hear its a clean city, I don't think theres much pollution.

I would check out Moon Township, North Fayette, and Robinson. You might be able to find something with a little land. These areas tend to to be newer and have a lot of ammenities close by, lots of shopping and restaurants. Moon is really safe, but its close to the airport. I have family there, and the plane noise isn't a problem.

There's a lot of land in Beaver County, now granted is a big area but there are some definite places to avoid.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
cheap foreign steel all but destroyed the steel industry in the U.S.
I worked in the mills, we brought it on ourselves. 15 weeks vacation, unbelievable wages for unskilled labor, secretaries that did nothing, overpaid executives, I could go on and on. Anyone that worked doing the so-called "glory" days of steel were lucky as hell to have such an easy job. That's why I got out, I knew the gravy train would end.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
I worked in the mills, we brought it on ourselves. 15 weeks vacation, unbelievable wages for unskilled labor, secretaries that did nothing, overpaid executives, I could go on and on. Anyone that worked doing the so-called "glory" days of steel were lucky as hell to have such an easy job. That's why I got out, I knew the gravy train would end.
A lot of that had to do with out of control Labor Unions. I've tried to be pro-union, but they just seem to do more harm than good. The unions make it impossible to fire even to worst of workers, and they top it off with ridiculous demands. My grandfather was a steel worker and he made more money there than he did as a pastry chef.

Even so it's impossible for any industry to compete with someplace where there is not minimum wage and people are willing to work for a few dollars a day.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 207,293 times
I really appreciate those of you who have responded. If I cannot find a job in Michigan, Pittsburgh may be a place to consider. I really miss the midwest and all it has to offer. You can't beat the family owned restaurants, season changes, and die hard sports fans. Does anyone know if police agencies are continually hiring there like they are in the west?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh