Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 20,444 times

Advertisements

It is really great see that a lot of people is helping others to find a nice place to live in Pittsburgh. My husband and I recently move from Denver because of his job, we rent a nice townhouse close to Robinson Mall and to the airport. We really like here so we decided to buy a property in a few months to make Pittsburgh our permanent Home. My husband office is in Washington,PA but we love living close to downtown (20 min driving) for that reason we are looking to buy around the area where we live. I have been looking for home in realtor.com and we look for new construction, but we the high taxes that you have to pay around here it isn't possibly to get what we can afford. Can you recommended me a good neighborhood to look at??

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 AM

85 posts, read 335,627 times
Any neighborhood in Allegheny county is going to have those high taxes so you may need to just adjust what you think you can afford to account for taxes. I think you can get close to your husbands job in Washington and still stay close to downtown without being in the Robinson area. If you like newer homes, take a look at South Fayette.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 20,444 times
Thanks you for your response, but after reading another forum about the problem that Allegheny county have for new homebuyer I think we won't be buying there or we are gonna be really careful about that, but I still need to now what other areas are good to look at. What we need is easy access to mayor road and airport, we travel a lot, my husband "need" to live fairly close to a hockey rink and downtown, he doesn't like to live far from the city that is why we were thinking around here. Another option I found was Mt. Lebanon (new construction is not a requirement for us) but that still in Allegheny County. Can you recommend others neighborhoods ??

Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Personally, I wouldn't be scared away from Allegheny County because of the tax situation for new homebuyers alone. Obviously no one likes paying taxes, but it is only one of many costs associated with where you live, including the price of the home (and possible mortgage), commuting costs, and so on. So, it may well be that someplace in Allegheny County is right for you, once all the costs, not just taxes, are considered.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 AM

64 posts, read 240,823 times
Robinson and Kennedy Townships in the Montour School District have about the lowest property tax rates in the Allegheny county. You're not going going to find anything lower in taxes in the county. You could look right across the Washinton county line at Cecil, Burgettstown, McDonald, Mt. Pleasant, or Robinson (Washington County). Those areas have new construction, lower Washington County taxes, and you could get to Robinson Towne Center, little Washington, or Pittsburgh in just minutes on Route 79 and/or Route 576.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,473 times
Default Looking for a home in Pittsburgh??

I have a home for sale by owner.Its not listed yet. Its in South Fayette area. We are 13 miles to downtown,14 miles to airport, 7 miles to robinson. This is a 2 story home across from South Fayette Schools. If you are interested ,my email is Cthealls@aol.com

Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
You might try SouthPointe, a development in Cecil township, almost equidistant from Washington and Pittsburgh. It has a hockey rink in the plan.

Mt. Lebanon also has a hockey rink at the school.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,891,175 times
Look into Peters Township. (Mcmurray and Venetia) It's still fairly close to Downtown (25-30 minutes without traffic) But you have Excellent schools and lower Washington county taxes.

Plus you are very close to Washington PA for work, about 30 minutes from the airport and...SOUTHPOINTE ice rink that has mens hockey leagues.

Southpointe does have some beautiful houses but they are $$$

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,932 times
Watch out for high assessments on homes that have been sold since 2002. This could save you up to $500 per month. This is especially true if you buy a brand new house. The builders won't tell you that.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 AM

9 posts, read 20,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisdmitriev View Post
It is really great see that a lot of people is helping others to find a nice place to live in Pittsburgh. My husband and I recently move from Denver because of his job, we rent a nice townhouse close to Robinson Mall and to the airport. We really like here so we decided to buy a property in a few months to make Pittsburgh our permanent Home. My husband office is in Washington,PA but we love living close to downtown (20 min driving) for that reason we are looking to buy around the area where we live. I have been looking for home in realtor.com and we look for new construction, but we the high taxes that you have to pay around here it isn't possibly to get what we can afford. Can you recommended me a good neighborhood to look at??

Thank you
Plum's a great neighborhood. Low crime, very family friendly, great schools, about 20 min from downtown via route 28, which cuts out the parkway traffic. My parents retired there they liked it so much, but they both recently passed away, and now their home is up for sale. Many newer homes there as well. You ought to really check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh