Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 11:40 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,916,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412Burgh View Post
This mindset is exactly the problem with the violence in the city. Everyone knows there are problems and "sees past it" and prays that they don't become the victim of violence.

In the suburbs, take Cranberry Twp., as an example, the communities are involved and actually WORK with the township and the local police to solve the problems, not the "i didn' see nuttin" mindset hoping that their prayers to Jesus will keep them safe from violence.
It is difficult to look past violence involving children. I do not know anyone that is not touched by these horrific crimes.

On the other hand I do know that people of all walks of urban society work diligently to combat inner city issues on multiple fronts. You can only save those that want to be saved. Most people black people in particular are not the problem. Criminals are the problem and some posters couldn't distinguish between the two. There are historic and new organizations doing amazing things in this city. Just off the top of my head.

Kingsley Association
YMCA
Upward Bound
PPS Programs
Pittsburgh Promise
Jack and Jill
City League Youth Sports
The Black Church
Local neighborhood groups
Manchester Craftmans Guild
Local Union and apprenticeship programs

Personally I've worked with local youth through the Pittsburgh Promise scholarship program, everything school related from athletics to high school musicals. I organized community clean ups, planted trees and maintained water catch basins in 9 Mile Run. Most parents are dedicated to their children and communities. Most parents are not equipped to dismantle youth organized crime and the gun violence that comes with it. It is the responsibility of law enforcement to combat these issues.

You are out of touch with real everyday city life.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:34 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Just because you’re willing to accept a lousy place to live doesn’t mean everyone else is, though I do recall you saying your area needs some gentrification and you getting a gun, so you obviously don’t feel as safe as you’re trying to make it.
I have to accept things the way they are where I live. Again, if you start greasing the squeaky wheel in neighborhoods like mine you DO start ending up a target whereas if you tend to just mind your own business the bullets find their way to other targets. I wish more people would go out and find jobs as well since we have a labor shortage at the moment, but if people would prefer to deal drugs and wander around on the streets all day, then that's their own choice that I can't control.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:41 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,002,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I have to accept things the way they are where I live. Again, if you start greasing the squeaky wheel in neighborhoods like mine you DO start ending up a target whereas if you tend to just mind your own business the bullets find their way to other targets. I wish more people would go out and find jobs as well since we have a labor shortage at the moment, but if people would prefer to deal drugs and wander around on the streets all day, then that's their own choice that I can't control.
Funny how you edited my post in regards to answers of your unfounded claims and assumptions…and not everyone has such standards as to accept bullets flying much less going to other targets.

Yet you want the area gentrified and talked of getting a gun while complaining about your neighborhood on a regular basis. So you obviously don’t feel as safe as you’re trying to make it and want your area to change so you’re not so willing to accept it as it is.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:42 PM

70 posts, read 26,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Most people black people in particular are not the problem.
Allegheny county and City of Pittsburgh crime statistics disagree. Thanks for proving my point

Old 02-03-2023, 01:09 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The irony of a Floridian living in Scatwater Bay coming down on Pittsburgh. I mean, how long has floridaman.com been a thing?

Old 02-03-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Allegheny county and City of Pittsburgh crime statistics disagree. Thanks for proving my point
Do these acts involve most black people or a few? You’re confused.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:26 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,002,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The irony of a Floridian living in Scatwater Bay coming down on Pittsburgh. I mean, how long has floridaman.com been a thing?
Lol. Born and raised in Pittsburgh and lived in the Pittsburgh area all my life, and still do 5-7 months/year. If one doesn’t like the stats, number, and articles written and presented, do something about it as those in the area make the stats, not anyone else.

Even Big Ed, folks that live in the city, community leaders, etc…, recognize the problem and insist something needs done. Perhaps someday they’ll do something about it versus just talking about it and supposedly making plans.

Quote:
Bingo…and murders are up 39% from a year ago.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-03-2023 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 02:03 PM

70 posts, read 26,550 times
Quote:
More than any other demographic. It's ok though, keep spinning your narrative, it's clearly having an impact, although not necessarily the impact you wish to believe.

Old 02-03-2023, 03:36 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,877,671 times
Quote:
Are most of the shooters black, or a few?
Are most of the victims black, or a few?

Old 02-03-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
More than any other demographic. It's ok though, keep spinning your narrative, it's clearly having an impact, although not necessarily the impact you wish to believe.
I agree with that. Your demographic is not immune to social ills either. Your illness is less visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh