Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is one of the things that I wish Pittsburgh was better about.
Some of them just need to be ripped out. I never understood for example why there was a boarded up house on walnut right near all the shops. At some point someone spray painted , "I put the shady in shadyside" on it....rather funny.

I'm sure each of them as a story, but either let someone develop it or just rip it out and plant some flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
This is a tricky issue, because redevelopment can take time, and I think far too much long term value has been lost to the wrecking ball because people got impatient.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Some of them just need to be ripped out. I never understood for example why there was a boarded up house on walnut right near all the shops. At some point someone spray painted , "I put the shady in shadyside" on it....rather funny.
I saw that and it made me laugh. But I always thought it was a reference to this Jack Nicholson skit (warning: not necessarily safe for work):

YouTube - Freakin Fries

Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 AM

85 posts, read 519,945 times
Thanks for the info guys. I found a website for abandoned places across the USA and one of them listed the "Ristorante Della Trattoria" and it's this building too.

Like I mentioned before, it's a shame nothing is doen with it, but I'm fascinated by it's architecture and the slow decay of it sitting there and no one wants it.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 AM

85 posts, read 519,945 times
Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,758 times
SOunds like they should just convert it to a real homeless shelter

Old 08-20-2008, 02:33 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
It would have been nice to see that property developed but traffic was the major concern. The locals want to preserve much of the natural hillside as it's mosty undevelopable. On the other hand that property has pretty much sat that way for a long long time.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,311 times
they should focus on the neighborhoods surrounding them. mt washington sucks anyway unless you have a view and a nice place.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,584 times
Ive been inside of that building (illegally) to take photographs of the graffiti inside. I know what the general concensus is on graf, but this city has some INCREDIBLE artists. The top floor has murals that are 13ft high and 15ft wide, not to mention the top floor houses the best panoramic view of the city at night. I do not reccommend trying to get in there, I had to climb up the side, avoid barbed wire, and take a small leap of faith at the top.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,584 times
My original thought was that it was a hotel of some sort, there are many staircases (most are concreted off now) and rooms set up like a hotel would be. Like i said, i had to scale the side of it, walking up the brick deviders on the front of the buliding (facing the city). Its very dark in there, and the floor has alot of hidden holes, I do NOT reccommend going into it (mostly because its ILLEGAL) and more so because its DANGEROUS. let me see if I can find the pictures i took
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh