Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 09:14 AM

1,913 posts, read 741,861 times

Advertisements

Where oh where did that bribe go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,239,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This. You don't even need work boots. Loafers or tennis shoes would also work just fine. I see lots of jobs posted on Indeed in the $18/hr.-$22/hr. range. Many jobs that are hiring don't require a degree, either. The trades are also begging for workers. Our office has been at about 2/3 staffing for a considerable length of time now because we can't find anyone. There is no such thing as a "lack of jobs" in this city. Perhaps people shouldn't be so picky? When I was unemployed I IMMEDIATELY found work delivering fruit baskets by day and pizza by night to pay my bills despite being college-educated. My dad was laid off and worked at a gas station until he found something better.
Bingo…it’s simply the lack of wanting to work…though living in fear and shutting it down has had huge consequences. It being handled so poorly is why we’re seeing much of it, along with folks leaving.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
SEIU certainly can’t be happy after endorsing them with a huge amount of money in campaign contributions. Big Ed and Summer Lee supposed to be getting UPMC.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:52 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Fake news?

Old 04-18-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This. You don't even need work boots. Loafers or tennis shoes would also work just fine. I see lots of jobs posted on Indeed in the $18/hr.-$22/hr. range. Many jobs that are hiring don't require a degree, either. The trades are also begging for workers. Our office has been at about 2/3 staffing for a considerable length of time now because we can't find anyone. There is no such thing as a "lack of jobs" in this city. Perhaps people shouldn't be so picky? When I was unemployed I IMMEDIATELY found work delivering fruit baskets by day and pizza by night to pay my bills despite being college-educated. My dad was laid off and worked at a gas station until he found something better.
I think sanity is a requirement for any job. You cannot possibly think a drug addict or mentally unstable person would have any type of work ethic.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:55 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,399,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I think sanity is a requirement for any job. You cannot possibly think a drug addict or mentally unstable person would have any type of work ethic.
Work construction for a year and you will see it daily.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:51 PM

And so it continues, and spelled out perfectly with Big Ed and SEIU.

Hunter Tower: Is Pittsburgh a blueprint for other union-dominated blue cities?

https://triblive.com/opinion/hunter-...d-blue-cities/

“In 2021, Ed Gainey was elected mayor of Pittsburgh. His campaign was funded in part by SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania, which made a generous $350,000 donation — more than all other contributors combined.

SEIU Healthcare PA knew what it was paying for when it made this investment — a strong bargaining chip to force the city’s largest employer, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), to unionize its employees. SEIU Healthcare has had its sights set on UPMC employees for more than a decade but has so far been unable to close the deal with its prospective members.”

“SEIU leaders now hold key posts in Gainey’s administration. Silas Russell, SEIU Healthcare executive vice president and political director, co-chaired Gainey’s transition team. Maria Montano, former SEIU Healthcare communications director, is now Gainey’s press secretary. And Lisa Frank, former SEIU vice president and director of strategic communications, is now the city of Pittsburgh’s chief operating officer.

Emails uncovered through right-to-know requests by CBS Pittsburgh reveal that Russell provided the mayor with union-generated talking points ahead of a meeting last year with UPMC officials.“

Gainey has also walked away from a $40 million commitment from UPMC to fund city initiatives such as public works and maintenance projects.

“That’s a big number we’re leaving on the table right now,” said Pittsburgh City Controller Michael Lamb. “And we can’t just walk away from that. On behalf of the citizens and taxpayers of this town, we’ve got to engage, and we’ve got to have conversations and continued conversations with our largest employer.”

Old 04-29-2023, 06:50 PM

70 posts, read 27,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
You cannot possibly think a drug addict or mentally unstable person would have any type of work ethic.
You misspelled inner city black youth.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:53 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,062,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412Burgh View Post
i can understand why you might say that.

its not applicable, though. many are as industrious as any juvenile can will themselves to be. you dont hear about kids like this. its not NEWS after all if some kid actually went to post-12th grade school, got a certificate, and just went to work - making a living, not doing anything shady.

you wont hear about this - the alternate is reinforced, though, if/when THOSE kids get into trouble. they are as despised by their generational peers as you or the good, average, law-abiding citizen might despise them.

Old 04-30-2023, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412Burgh View Post
I raised inner city black children. They are beautiful, education, and confident. Most inner city black children manage to succeed. I’m black and inner city. I do not know or associate with dysfunction. I should mention that our children could care less about the assumptions of trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh