Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, Happy to join the forum. I will relocate with my family in Pittsburgh this summer. Any advice about where to live. I have a son who will join high school. I have been looking as per comments and forums in place to live in Mt. Lebanon, USC, Fox Chapel and the North as well. But finding a place is so difficult. Any suggestions about which areas are the best to live in regarding high school ratings as well as family style communities. I will appreciate your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 06:50 AM

10,823 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heba.m View Post
Hello everyone, Happy to join the forum. I will relocate with my family in Pittsburgh this summer. Any advice about where to live. I have a son who will join high school. I have been looking as per comments and forums in place to live in Mt. Lebanon, USC, Fox Chapel and the North as well. But finding a place is so difficult. Any suggestions about which areas are the best to live in regarding high school ratings as well as family style communities. I will appreciate your feedback.
11 miles away as the crow flies, but north huntingdon twp in westmoreland county.

our taxes are half, our houses are increasing fast because our average time on market is 1 day (last few years a couple hours), crime rates nearly non existent, and we are generally a bedroom community. you get to sample places and things in pitt during the day, but dont have to dodge gunfire at night.

USC and fox chapel and even north allegheny are far pricer neighborhoods, but they are far far pricier. to get in TODAY, you need to plunk pretty much near a mil.

here the highschool is known across the USA for its gifted and special ed programs (gifted programs were essentially invented here in the 70's) and is in the upper crust in the nation for its nationally ranked band and music programs and the college graduation rates of our students are ridiculous in the 90-some percentile, like 95% last time I looked. colleges across pa especially write often they know when they get a norwin grad - well prepared. (and IMO they still skip out on contemporary us and world studies compared to when I went here - but its more than everyone else) the other places you mention btw - have far far better football teams. its always been that way since my stepfather graduated in 1958 (leading rusher to this day)

I work such that I can live anywhere in the 50 states, I moved back 30-ish years after a number of years of research of bang for the buck and the gifted program due to #2 son, who then got into music and the band and well, best of all worlds. DW leaned to the spring hill TN area but in the end the school here was just better and we saved about $150K on the house, ft for ft.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:21 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I think a good place to start would be where you will be employed.
With our tunnels and bridges, commute times can vary widely. You really don't want to go through two tunnels twice a day!

Old 05-16-2023, 08:21 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
What type of home do you like? Older, newer? And budget? Those would help. thanks.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:42 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
11 miles away as the crow flies, but north huntingdon twp in westmoreland county.

our taxes are half, our houses are increasing fast because our average time on market is 1 day (last few years a couple hours), crime rates nearly non existent, and we are generally a bedroom community. you get to sample places and things in pitt during the day, but dont have to dodge gunfire at night.

USC and fox chapel and even north allegheny are far pricer neighborhoods, but they are far far pricier. to get in TODAY, you need to plunk pretty much near a mil.

here the highschool is known across the USA for its gifted and special ed programs (gifted programs were essentially invented here in the 70's) and is in the upper crust in the nation for its nationally ranked band and music programs and the college graduation rates of our students are ridiculous in the 90-some percentile, like 95% last time I looked. colleges across pa especially write often they know when they get a norwin grad - well prepared. (and IMO they still skip out on contemporary us and world studies compared to when I went here - but its more than everyone else) the other places you mention btw - have far far better football teams. its always been that way since my stepfather graduated in 1958 (leading rusher to this day)

I work such that I can live anywhere in the 50 states, I moved back 30-ish years after a number of years of research of bang for the buck and the gifted program due to #2 son, who then got into music and the band and well, best of all worlds. DW leaned to the spring hill TN area but in the end the school here was just better and we saved about $150K on the house, ft for ft.

Dodge gunfire at night? Who are you kidding? Us city dwellers fire off rounds at each other during the day too

As for Norwin School District...

https://triblive.com/local/westmorel...ersial-issues/

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/norw...231023238.html

https://triblive.com/local/westmorel...ent-draws-ire/

https://triblive.com/local/westmorel...al-media-post/

Old 05-16-2023, 03:14 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
our houses are increasing fast because our average time on market is 1 day (last few years a couple hours),
Um, not so.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...on_PA/overview

Old 05-16-2023, 05:01 PM

70 posts, read 27,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heba.m View Post
Based on your grammar and username, I will go on a limb and state that you and your family are not Caucasian. With that said, I'd strongly urge against Norwin/North Huntingdon and the northern areas (Fox Chapel, Wexford, Cranberry, etc.) and would suggest looking towards the Mt. Lebo/Upper Saint Clair Area.

As one PoC to another, those areas are the most welcoming to non-Caucasians.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:33 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412Burgh View Post
Based on your grammar and username, I will go on a limb and state that you and your family are not Caucasian. With that said, I'd strongly urge against Norwin/North Huntingdon and the northern areas (Fox Chapel, Wexford, Cranberry, etc.) and would suggest looking towards the Mt. Lebo/Upper Saint Clair Area.

To OP, please ignore the above. It's what's defined as "reverse racism". I won't pretend to know your race, background, personal life, etc. People are people. We're all equal. Fox Chapel is beautiful but expensive. Wexford and Cranberry not my cup of tea but lower taxes are appealing. Nice people live there who will accept your family.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412Burgh View Post

This makes you sound like a dolt.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:14 PM

10,823 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

um so. entries IN realtor .com went thru those impromptu auctions. you will not be buying a non-fixer upper here without an agent working for you. by the time it hits realtor (like this house and the 7 houses closest to it) its under contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh