Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 10:05 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,776,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
It's summer.

I read an interesting article yesterday obout the SF Mayor proposing to reimagine the city, tear down the now vacant mall and other buildings downtown and build something for a new city. Tricky situation, but better than sitting around hoping commuters will return. I think we should do the same.
Where was that article I'd like to read that. SF is much worse off than DT Pittsburgh though - really, almost ALL of the retail businesses there are cutting out. even defaulting on leases and loans to do it. some are describing it as a Death Loop that will be impossible to reverse until it hits rock bottom. which will be interesting to see what that looks like. Not that bad around Pittsburgh AFAIK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 10:13 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Where was that article I'd like to read that. SF is much worse off than DT Pittsburgh though - really, almost ALL of the retail businesses there are cutting out. even defaulting on leases and loans to do it. some are describing it as a Death Loop that will be impossible to reverse until it hits rock bottom. which will be interesting to see what that looks like. Not that bad around Pittsburgh AFAIK
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/23/busin...all/index.html

About 6 months ago, I read another article that found the higher the concentration of tech workers in your city, the worse off is the downtown these days. Politicians spent 20 years desperately trying to attract those businesses and workers.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:29 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,776,555 times
Quote:

About 6 months ago, I read another article that found the higher the concentration of tech workers in your city, the worse off is the downtown these days. Politicians spent 20 years desperately trying to attract those businesses and workers.
Funniest line in it -"although it's not clear that crime has become much more serious"

LOL aren't they supposed to, ya know, look that up? and its kinda obvious after they stopped charging people if the theft was less than $1,000. really can it get any crazier in western civilization? IDK of any other society in history where theft was legal. maybe because it didn't last long enough to write about. progress, or something.

Last edited by _Buster; 06-24-2023 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-24-2023, 11:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
I haven't seen this traffic outside of major events. I don't believe it. The city shuts down at 5.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:08 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
Quote:

Tech workers are keeping The Strip alive on life support during the week. Pittsburgh doesn't have the foot traffic from visitors unless there is a concert or game.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:14 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Tech workers are keeping The Strip alive on life support during the week. Pittsburgh doesn't have the foot traffic from visitors unless there is a concert or game.
hmmm, i dont know. you'd be surprised. people come from Ohio, WV, other parts of PA for a myriad of reasons. OK, not like the crowds youd get if there were a convention here, Pride, or a game, but they are out there consistently - visitors with short term stays.

the other day, i met a lovely, cute older couple from mexico. their daughter lives here now, and they (the couple) are visiting for 2 months). they were on their way to the state store there on smallman.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
It's summer.

I read an interesting article yesterday obout the SF Mayor proposing to reimagine the city, tear down the now vacant mall and other buildings downtown and build something for a new city. Tricky situation, but better than sitting around hoping commuters will return. I think we should do the same.
It's hard to figure out what would be worth tearing down downtown since we don't have a major mall or whatever. Maybe a couple of the Parking Authority garages? My understanding is they're never at capacity any longer, so the area could probably be of more use redeveloped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I take this with a grain of salt - is the fact that our public transit lines all concentrate downtown making our downtown's recovery look stronger than it actually is, in comparison to other cities?
Don't most cities have a major transit hub in Downtown?

Quote:

Pittsburgh tech jobs were never really concentrated downtown, of course. They were mostly in the Strip, Oakland, Bakery Square, etc.

There was a failed attempt pre-pandemic to turn the former Art Institute building on the Boulevard of the Allies into tech space. No one wanted to move in.

It feels like Downtown has always mostly been banks (especially PNC), law offices, and health insurance.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:37 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,137 times
Quote:
This is absolutely false. The Strip is packed 7 days a week…..

The new terminal building is a huge success and the residential component continues to expand. In fact the foot traffic in Lawrenceville and the Strip is busier than ever in my lifetime. I am in both places often.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:39 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,137 times
Quote:
I haven't seen this traffic outside of major events. I don't believe it. The city shuts down at 5.
The city comes alive after 5. Everywhere from East Liberty to the Northshore….Not sure of why you still come to that lame dated conclusion.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:19 PM

748 posts, read 340,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The city comes alive after 5. Everywhere from East Liberty to the Northshore….Not sure of why you still come to that lame dated conclusion.
Exactly. There are a lot of things going on. It's too bad people just assume.. especially when they don't venture out much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh