Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 08:30 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah, that's my GE too. Its a nice one, a little smaller but also agree the Robinson Market District is great but I think the Wexford one is pretty comparable. I just rather run north than south usually if I'm gonna go shop
Good point! I don’t think I ever went to the Wexford one, thanks for mentioning it, I will go check it out. It’s a few miles further in total distance but I go to Ross Park mall often so might as well go a few miles further up north during those trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 08:45 PM

387 posts, read 408,225 times
Pretty much what everybody else listed. Since I live in Mt Washington I generally go towards the West Mifflin Walmart and work back towards the city (Aldi-Fam Dollar--$ Tree--Shop/Save--GE) My diet is specialized (no carbs/swine/breakfast food) so it's chicken/beef rice and veggies for every meal. I should consider a butcher.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:16 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Pretty much what everybody else listed. Since I live in Mt Washington I generally go towards the West Mifflin Walmart and work back towards the city (Aldi-Fam Dollar--$ Tree--Shop/Save--GE) My diet is specialized (no carbs/swine/breakfast food) so it's chicken/beef rice and veggies for every meal. I should consider a butcher.

If you go to west mifflin walmart check out weiss meats, they run some great specials.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:52 AM

85 posts, read 83,052 times
Giant Eagle for most of it. Anything I can't get from them I usually just order online from somewhere but that's rare since I'm not very picky when it comes to food. Non-groceries usually just the internet.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
These days, it's basically the following.

1. Weekly CSA home delivery for a lot of our produce needs.

2. Shop at the East End Co-op every other week for some staples.

3. Giant Eagle Market District on Centre Ave is our pharmacy, so whenever we have to pick up some meds we shop for the other staples we cannot get elsewhere.

4. The above is also leavened by mid-week shopping when things unexpectedly run out, usually via me either doing a walk-by of Target (downtown or in East Liberty) or dropping into Bryant Street Market.
Which CSA? I join a few when we first moved here but it was just easier to grab direct from various markets/farms and get what we wanted. I've thought of going back to one though once I have some time to cook more.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow, people on here have some real disposable income. I do my primary at Trader Joe's as I feel they have the freshest product and best value/quality. I also go to Willie's Smoke House in Aspinwall. They have the best hams, certain sausages, sometimes steaks are beyond anyone else and other things. Then I go to Giant Eagle for some prime meat if I am going big on steak. I occasionally go to the Food Coop for liver and a few items, but Covid killed their vibe a lot and I used to love that salad bar. Is it back? It is VERY expensive and not a real coop. Then Whole Foods for certain items. I don't like them as much as I did 15+ years ago. I think they lost their way once they become public.
Yes, I think Whole foods improved and lost their way. Prices I think are a little more reasonable, I still expect to pay more for less common brands but they've come down I feel. The rest of it, yeah less Whole Foods and more Amazon.

Trader Joes, my wife grew up with them in CA. Its just not the same anymore, their brand quality has gone way down but they still have a few decent items. Their prices though are much cheaper, the quality is starting to match the price.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:46 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Which CSA? I join a few when we first moved here but it was just easier to grab direct from various markets/farms and get what we wanted. I've thought of going back to one though once I have some time to cook more.
We started using Harvie Farms during the pandemic. I think it had a different name back when we first started. It's basically transformed into online shopping of local vendors, with delivery straight to our front door. We buy maybe about $80 worth of stuff a week doing this.

Biggest limitation is some of their selection is so goddamned expensive. Like, I'm not spending $10 to buy a jar of local pickles or something.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
My grocery habits changed dramatically since the pandemic. My children are adults and independent. My wife and I shop sparingly nowadays. We do not cook daily since the cost of dining out mirrors our typical grocery bill.

Giant Eagle Market District is my main go to followed by Whole Foods and Sams Club. I also frequent the Strip District on nice weekends or if I have family in town. I love all city farmers markets.
I feel a little of the same, both my kids are adults so we don't cook regular anymore. I just really don't enjoy eating out as I try to eat healthyish and more basic.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Good point! I don’t think I ever went to the Wexford one, thanks for mentioning it, I will go check it out. It’s a few miles further in total distance but I go to Ross Park mall often so might as well go a few miles further up north during those trips.
I only hit up that one since its quicker for me and I'm more likely up that way going to Costco or my wife's Ocho deliveries up in Cranberry. I do think they are almost the same, easier parking in Wexford. I enjoy the little vintage candy section, I have a thing for sweets.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
We started using Harvie Farms during the pandemic. I think it had a different name back when we first started. It's basically transformed into online shopping of local vendors, with delivery straight to our front door. We buy maybe about $80 worth of stuff a week doing this.

Biggest limitation is some of their selection is so goddamned expensive. Like, I'm not spending $10 to buy a jar of local pickles or something.
Ah, I guess you can call them a semi-CSA. I am very familiar with Harvie, they brought my wife on and one of her larger clients. If you haven't tried Ocho Salsa its good and NOT overpriced. We make a point of keeping products affordable and the same as stores.

To your point, I agree some items are high. I'm all about supporting local when all else equal. I think the issue is Harvie tries to bring in small, local businesses that aren't always familiar or ready for wholesale model. They haven't been able to price their product low enough yet but Harvie still needs to meet their min margins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh