Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 08:47 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

Where do most Pittsburgher's do their grocery shopping? With our topology I'd think it would be pretty area specific but shopping habits are so different than 10-20 years ago.

Do most still do like one weekly trip to Giant Eagle/Kuhns/Aldi/whichever? I feel like our house its some combo of Target pickup, Costco/Sams, and random stops at GE for whatever we've missed.

I'm curious the shopping habits of the rest of Pgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 11:00 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Shop n save canonsburg, walmart washington, bj in bridgeville monthly, and fresh time bridgeville weekly. Weiss meats when needed.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Shop n save canonsburg, walmart washington, bj in bridgeville monthly, and fresh time bridgeville weekly. Weiss meats when needed.
Thanks, sounds like us just different names to whats closest. I only goto GE because it is 2 minutes from me vs at least 10 anywhere else otherwise I think they are on the high side for what they offer anymore. I think the Shop N Save up Cranberry is the nicest.

I'm a data person and always curious, I've been more curious on food trends as my wife shifted into food production as a business.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:28 PM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
Giant Eagle in Bethel Park and Trax Farm Market for some veggies I don't grow. Fresh Thyme on Clairton Rd occasionally too. They have nice fruit and meat.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:34 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times
Giant eagle by Mt Nero is closest to me. It’s actually a really good store as well. However, I travel down Robinson just to go to the Market district there. Love that store (and probably my favorite market district yet). Then from time to time, when I want different types of products I go to Whole Foods in the south hills. I do weekly grocery shopping.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Giant eagle by Mt Nero is closest to me. It’s actually a really good store as well. However, I travel down Robinson just to go to the Market district there. Love that store (and probably my favorite market district yet). Then from time to time, when I want different types of products I go to Whole Foods in the south hills. I do weekly grocery shopping.
Yeah, that's my GE too. Its a nice one, a little smaller but also agree the Robinson Market District is great but I think the Wexford one is pretty comparable. I just rather run north than south usually if I'm gonna go shop

Old 09-26-2023, 02:49 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
These days, it's basically the following.

1. Weekly CSA home delivery for a lot of our produce needs.

2. Shop at the East End Co-op every other week for some staples.

3. Giant Eagle Market District on Centre Ave is our pharmacy, so whenever we have to pick up some meds we shop for the other staples we cannot get elsewhere.

4. The above is also leavened by mid-week shopping when things unexpectedly run out, usually via me either doing a walk-by of Target (downtown or in East Liberty) or dropping into Bryant Street Market.

Old 09-26-2023, 04:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Wow, people on here have some real disposable income. I do my primary at Trader Joe's as I feel they have the freshest product and best value/quality. I also go to Willie's Smoke House in Aspinwall. They have the best hams, certain sausages, sometimes steaks are beyond anyone else and other things. Then I go to Giant Eagle for some prime meat if I am going big on steak. I occasionally go to the Food Coop for liver and a few items, but Covid killed their vibe a lot and I used to love that salad bar. Is it back? It is VERY expensive and not a real coop. Then Whole Foods for certain items. I don't like them as much as I did 15+ years ago. I think they lost their way once they become public.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:38 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Once a week a big order at 'Add Logical Double Immediate' (its an IBM joke) and either the Norwin GE or one of the stop and shaves or sometimes walmart.

every other week or so a daylight run on sat or sun to costco at the waterfront.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:27 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
My grocery habits changed dramatically since the pandemic. My children are adults and independent. My wife and I shop sparingly nowadays. We do not cook daily since the cost of dining out mirrors our typical grocery bill.

Giant Eagle Market District is my main go to followed by Whole Foods and Sams Club. I also frequent the Strip District on nice weekends or if I have family in town. I love all city farmers markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh