Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

So I was up in McCandless and visited McCandless Crossing. I think it is great and so much there. Loved it and in that area everything is so new and nice. I am not sure why the McCandless thread was closed, but I felt since I was just there I should report that it was very well done. So many nice places to eat and really everything in that area you need. From Dicks, Trader Joe's, movie theater, restaurants and across the street is a Lowes. I can't think of an area that has so many things in a small place except Robinson Town Center. That place is really big, but if you go from Ross Park Mall up to McCandless Crossing you are talking about one heck of a lot of shopping and restaurant options.

I love it up there and everyone seemed so nice and mellow compared to the city. I wish I could move up there, but it is just too far from my work and just doesn't work for me.

I sort of wanted to stop by BJ's as they brew beer there. Is it any good?

What about Bellisario Pizza? Is there any better NY style pizza up that way? Luciano's Pizza?

I think that region is pretty darn nice. I could care less about walkability anymore. I just want good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
It really is a nice shopping spot, we visit often as it's about 10-15 min for us. Best theater for movies IMO and my wife is a big Trader fan. Also a really good coffee shop, Convive. I've only eaten at the hello bistro for a quick bite.

OK PIZZA, I'll be honest I am very picky when it comes to pizza. I did not grow up here but all my family is and I just don't care for pizza here much, I grew up in NJ so I like thin crust with a good thin sauce and good cheeses and NO belt system to cook it. The best pizza period I have found out this way is Mama Lucia in Wexford which is up 19 further near the sonic and market district which if you havent been to that complex it is kinda like Mc Crossing. Anyway back to Pizza, Mama Lucia could open up in NJ and it would be a great pie out there too. I've take several NJ folks I know there and they all say the same.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:59 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
It really is a nice shopping spot, we visit often as it's about 10-15 min for us. Best theater for movies IMO and my wife is a big Trader fan. Also a really good coffee shop, Convive. I've only eaten at the hello bistro for a quick bite.

OK PIZZA, I'll be honest I am very picky when it comes to pizza. I did not grow up here but all my family is and I just don't care for pizza here much, I grew up in NJ so I like thin crust with a good thin sauce and good cheeses and NO belt system to cook it. The best pizza period I have found out this way is Mama Lucia in Wexford which is up 19 further near the sonic and market district which if you havent been to that complex it is kinda like Mc Crossing. Anyway back to Pizza, Mama Lucia could open up in NJ and it would be a great pie out there too. I've take several NJ folks I know there and they all say the same.
Wow, I will have to try Mama Lucia's. I like the same type of pizza you do and we really don't have it around here to my knowledge. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 PM

94 posts, read 78,797 times
I live right in the McKnight corridor on the Ross/McCandless border. I am close to everything. As much as there is now, there is more in the pipeline. Luciano's and Bellisario's are excellent. The Mama Lucia is actually In Pine Township. I would put their Sicilian up there with anything and I am not one that necessarily likes Sicilian, Deep Dish, Pan, etc. I too mostly prefer a good thin crust hand tossed with a zippy, but not tart sauce and high quality cheese .
I also agree that belt ovens suck.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:11 AM

Ah didnt realize that was Pine, it is far up. I just assumed since they said on their site and stuff Wexford it was. I need to try Lucianos, I drive past it often on the way to the turnpike and have heard good things. I do admit while I am defn a thin crust person I do really like Bella Notte in the strip

Old 06-28-2018, 04:22 AM

94 posts, read 78,797 times
It may have a Wexford address but is considered Pine Township. That stretch between Wexford and Cranberry has exploded in the last ten years. It used to be pretty much desolate. There is a Bartram House bakery located in the Village at Pine. Great coffee and pastries. Grab a slice of Sicilian at Mama Lucia and then head across the lot to Bartram House for a coffee and dessert. That's my idea of a great afternoon.

Last edited by New Waver; 06-28-2018 at 04:39 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 06:30 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So I was up in McCandless and visited McCandless Crossing. I think it is great and so much there. Loved it and in that area everything is so new and nice. ...That place is really big, but if you go from Ross Park Mall up to McCandless Crossing you are talking about one heck of a lot of shopping and restaurant options.

I love it up there and everyone seemed so nice and mellow compared to the city. I wish I could move up there, but it is just too far from my work and just doesn't work for me.

I sort of wanted to stop by BJ's as they brew beer there. Is it any good?

What about Bellisario Pizza?
McCandless Crossing is ok - traffic is usually a bit of a hassle, to get in and out.
The movie theater is definitely nice, and is very comfortable and also sells beer.

As far as how the people seemed - pretty much everyone there is a professional. There aren't many hipsters, there aren't many working-class Yinzers. Its pretty much a mellow, solidly middle-class area.

As for the food in the area.. well, its pretty much suburban chains. Nothing too unique. I've been to BJ's. It's.. ok. It's not very unique, it's a bit pricey. It's basically glorified pub grub. The beer was also a bit expensive, and nothing that made me say "oohh-ahh".
The McCandless and Ross Police also have reputations for being hard - so I'd be loathe to get tipsy and then drive home from this area.

As for Bellisario - I've never eaten at their restaurant. I've had a horrible experience with their customer service when we ordered delivery from them once.

Personally, if you're going to drive that far out of the way I just recommend going to the OTB Boathouse in North Park - very unique atmosphere, very mellow yet refined, prices aren't horrible, food isn't horrible, decent beer selection. I think you'd enjoy it, if you've never been.

And while I've never been there (have been meaning to check it out), I think you may enjoy Barrel Junction on Route 8 near the Shaler/Hampton border (Barrel Junction)

Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM

Yeah for Mc Crossing, I kinda agree on the food. That's why I haven't eaten there, just nothing seemed special so if I was going to eat I'd go elsewhere unless in a hurry. I need to check out Bartram House, I've seen it many times and wondered.

I'd second the OTB rec, I've not been to the one in North Park but we have been going to OTB over in southside for years. I think it's a hidden gem (that might be a little strong). Prices are good and the food is unique. Not a wide selection but never had a bad meal. It's not fancy food but I really like the burger selection and they have some good lighter food. Decent beer selection. We were there last night actually, they had a special pairing of local ciders with sliders. Ciders were good, 3 glasses for $6 but the sliders were each a different type/toppings for $7. Very good sliders and 3 sliders were about the equivalent of 1.5 big burgers.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
I like McCandless Crossing and am glad it's there. It has a lot going for it. But being picky, I'll mention the following:
1 - I think the Waterfront has a better design and is prettier. There is one strip of MC with an urban look (strips of storefronts facing each other). The rest is more like typical suburbia but in larger parking lots. That's OK but it doesn't really set it apart from anything else on McKnight.
2 - It isn't convenient to get to different sections of MC especially across McKnight/19 unless you want to get back in your car.
I'll give it 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5 in my book.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I'm about 5 minutes from the Crossings, nothing really special, just chain stuff, but I really like the theater. I am amazed how well the townhouses along Cumberland Road sold. Over 300K, no yard, traffic noise, limited parking, might as well live in the City.

I'll have to give Mama Lucia's another try, was there years ago and didn't like it. Guess I don't have those New York taste buds. I'll 3rd the OTB in the Boat House in North Park. My wife and I frequent that quite a bit. Great setting out on the patio and I think they only offer locally brewed beers. And definitely check out Bartram's, worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh