Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 08:24 PM

408 posts, read 231,217 times

Advertisements

Great news! I am a huge fan of trains and I know there are more I like the Capital limited and from time to time I take the NYC one so glad more service!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...asQABVIJY-5UDE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 07:19 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
I personally would love to have better train access if I had free time. I would much rather travel by rail, I hate the rush and chaos of plane travel. I'd actually love a rail route out to MD that I could take when I have meetings in MD/DC.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:42 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My son uses the train a lot to go to NY.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:48 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Trains need to come back in a big way. The best way to travel as long as there are no huge delays, which unfortunately happen a lot, at least from Pittsburgh.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Trains need to come back in a big way. The best way to travel as long as there are no huge delays, which unfortunately happen a lot, at least from Pittsburgh.
the agreement that NS signed should help alleviate some of the delays on the Pennsylvanian, reported elsewhere it is mostly signal work and station improvements.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:56 AM

It is very impressive that we (the state of PA) have the most active trains in the country 0_0 and that is a lot of track! Also I think our lines are getting the new Amtrak train correct? I have to find the article but I swear they are testing it on our line to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I personally would love to have better train access if I had free time. I would much rather travel by rail, I hate the rush and chaos of plane travel. I'd actually love a rail route out to MD that I could take when I have meetings in MD/DC.
The Capital Limited actually comes through Pittsburgh and straight to DC. Starts off In Chicago. Great ride and good options on that train.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:25 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
It is very impressive that we (the state of PA) have the most active trains in the country 0_0 and that is a lot of track! Also I think our lines are getting the new Amtrak train correct? I have to find the article but I swear they are testing it on our line to NYC.

The Capital Limited actually comes through Pittsburgh and straight to DC. Starts off In Chicago. Great ride and good options on that train.
Yes. The expanded service will include the new modernized trains with panoramic glass ceilings and updated larger seating.

I have used the Pennsylvanian line since I was a child. I’ve used Amtrak to DC a few times but never went west of the city. I plan on taking a day trip to Chicago using the Capital Limited. The train leaves Pittsburgh late night and arrives in Chicago mid morning.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:12 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Thanks, I need to check that out. I have FEMA meetings in DC at times, I enjoy driving but it would be good to have another option if I need to get some things done when I travel.

Seems they leave Pgh 5am and hit DC area around 12pm. Would be nice for another run later, I'm usually having early morning meetings and come in the night before.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Okay lets rephrase this since being fiscally responsible seems to be unwelcome.

They are going to spend $200 million in infrastructure. Will the route be any faster than now? I wanted to ride a train to NYC, but it is crazy long AND there are flights that aren't much more money.

I guess what I am asking is, with all that money being spent, will it somehow be more appealing? If it takes the same amount of time, it is a waste of money, IMHO.

Hope this post is okay. Not a fan of echo-chambers.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Thanks, I need to check that out. I have FEMA meetings in DC at times, I enjoy driving but it would be good to have another option if I need to get some things done when I travel.

Seems they leave Pgh 5am and hit DC area around 12pm. Would be nice for another run later, I'm usually having early morning meetings and come in the night before.
Nice! The train has better food options and you can get a bed type room as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Okay lets rephrase this since being fiscally responsible seems to be unwelcome.

They are going to spend $200 million in infrastructure. Will the route be any faster than now? I wanted to ride a train to NYC, but it is crazy long AND there are flights that aren't much more money.

I guess what I am asking is, with all that money being spent, will it somehow be more appealing? If it takes the same amount of time, it is a waste of money, IMHO.

Hope this post is okay. Not a fan of echo-chambers.
I think if you’re complaining about how long it takes to get somewhere. Then trains are not meant for you (at least American trains). It’s because of how many stops and the type of route, not necessarily speed. At least in America anyways, we don’t have many high speed rails. I spent 50 bucks for a business class seat form HBG to NYC and while it was a few hours, it was a much better experience than driving. Cost of gas, parking, potential of getting in wrecks, stress of driving, etc. Then it makes more sense economically to take a train. Plus, with the routes trains go, you see things you don’t normally see on highways.

That 200 million is also helping commercial business, it isn’t just for passenger trains. As wpipkins2 stated, we’re also getting Amtrak’s new train as well (Airo) which will be a better experience for sure.

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...k-airo-trains/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh