Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 AM

331 posts, read 672,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I give up. You win. You all win. Not only did a biracial candidate for president not carry Pittsburgh, in fact ratings for The Jeffersons were lower here than anywhere else outside the Deep South. A little known fact is that miscegenation was illegal here long after the Loving case was decided by the Supreme Court. Chalk it up to 50 years of conservative Democrat rule. Your twisted perceptions are hereby and forevermore considered reality. Also, it's "accept", not "except".

Of course I win, I always do!....

You think Obama would've "carried Pittsburgh" if he was a Republican?......

Voting Republican in Pittsburgh, is sorta wasting a vote if you ask me......

Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Of course I win, I always do!....

You think Obama would've "carried Pittsburgh" if he was a Republican?......

Voting Republican in Pittsburgh, is sorta wasting a vote if you ask me......

So now this is about party affiliation rather than race? It's hard to keep up. I guess if Pittsburgh voted Republican more (as if there's a huge difference), the whispering behind the backs of interracial couples would stop. I learn so much here!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Let's recap: Your definition of diversity, which obviously comes from TV, extends to skin color. That's the only way (besides football loyalty) that Pittsburgh or any other sizable American city with multiple ethnicities and cultures (Polish, German, Italian, Croatian, Jewish, some Asian, some Indian in addition to good old American black and white) isn't "diverse". Is it as "diverse" as San Francisco or NYC or even Chicago? No, and who ever said it was? And you're obviously omnipotent, knowing what's said behind strangers' backs. Maybe you hear your buddies at work, but that's hardly representative of an entire city and it's pretty sad I have to point that out to you.

My (high-school age) black neighbor has had a white girlfriend for several months now. School must be hell for him.
Ya, "tv", that's where I get my definition of "diversity"......

My man, I've been from coast to coast, city to city, many many many times. I've spent years of my life in Nyc and Chicago, among many others. Pittsburgh is NOT a diverse city, just accept it and move on.

You can call me "omnipotent", or whatever else. The fact is, I'm a native Pittsburgh'er, and I know what and how the majority of Pittsburgh'er think. The Shadyside and Sq Hill crowd might be a little different and more accepting, but not the vast majority of Pittsburgh'ers. I know how my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, etc all think.

And I like how you use the example of your black neighbor having a "white" gf. Do you have a black neighbor with a "white bf"? Especially after they graduate school, and start their careers.

There's black kids and black men, with white gf's even in the deep south. How many white dudes you ever see running around Pittsburgh with a black girl, or latino, indian, middle eastern, etc? See, in cities like Nyc and Chicago, you will, that's the difference!

You need to take some trips out of the Burgh and see what's REALLY going on in other cities....

Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
So now this is about party affiliation rather than race? It's hard to keep up. I guess if Pittsburgh voted Republican more (as if there's a huge difference), the whispering behind the backs of interracial couples would stop. I learn so much here!
Are you from Pittsburgh? Or are you a "transplant"? I'm seriously asking you this.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Ya, "tv", that's where I get my definition of "diversity"......

My man, I've been from coast to coast, city to city, many many many times. I've spent years of my life in Nyc and Chicago, among many others. Pittsburgh is NOT a diverse city, just accept it and move on.

You can call me "omnipotent", or whatever else. The fact is, I'm a native Pittsburgh'er, and I know what and how the majority of Pittsburgh'er think. The Shadyside and Sq Hill crowd might be a little different and more accepting, but not the vast majority of Pittsburgh'ers. I know how my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, etc all think.

And I like how you use the example of your balck neighbor having a "white" gf. Do you have a black neighbor with a "white bf"? Especially after they graduate school, and start their careers.

There's black kids and black men, with white gf's even in the deep south. How many white dudes you ever see running around Pittsburgh with a black girl, or latino, indian, middle eastern, etc? See, in cities like Nyc and Chicago, you will, that's the difference!

You need to take some trips out of the Burgh and see what's REALLY going on in other cities....
"My man", I've lived in San Francisco, Seattle and Atlanta (15 years between the three) so I know from "diversity", a silly meme you've bought hook, line and sinker. Interesting, you're a lifelong Pittsburgher who has lived in Chicago. You wouldn't happen to be a "Pitt Steeler Fan", would you? They never learn. They always ban the troll and leave the IP address alone.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
"My man", I've lived in San Francisco, Seattle and Atlanta (15 years between the three) so I know from "diversity", a silly meme you've bought hook, line and sinker. Interesting, you're a lifelong Pittsburgher who has lived in Chicago. You wouldn't happen to be a "Pitt Steeler Fan", would you? They never learn. They always ban the troll and leave the IP address alone.
First of all, listing Seattle as a "diverse" city, is kinda funny. That's about as "white bread" of a city as they come! Atl is definitely a city that you'll run into a white man with a black gf (I've seen it first hand on quite a few occasions). SF is probably more accepting of any type of relationship in America.

Now you got a problem with me being a "Pittsburgh Steeler fan"? I'd hate to spend a Sunday afternoon with you! If you hate the steelers don't take it out on me, I'd move if I where you!...

Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Default Troll-outing 101

Quote:
Are you from Pittsburgh? Or are you a "transplant"? I'm seriously asking you this.

A quick look at my profile could have answered that. Am I not allowed an opinion if I wasn't born here?

See, the way I figured you out is I looked for an overlying theme (Pittsburgh isn't "diverse", whatever that means. In diversity of thought, which is the only diversity that matters, San Francisco (or Seattle) isn't very diverse at all given the preponderance of trite political slogans on the bumpers of Subaru Outbacks) combined with words and phrases like "my man", "aint", and (shudder, gag) "nabes" and a reliance on smileys. Busted, my man. Busted.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
First of all, listing Seattle as a "diverse" city, is kinda funny. That's about as "white bread" of a city as they come! Atl is definitely a city that you'll run into a white man with a black gf (I've seen it first hand on quite a few occasions). SF is probably more accepting of any type of relationship in America.

Now you got a problem with me being a "Pittsburgh Steeler fan"? I'd hate to spend a Sunday afternoon with you! If you hate the steelers don't take it out on me, I'd move if I where you!...
You know what I'm talking about, my non-spelling friend. PITTSTEELERFAN, I mean. One of the most legendary trolls on City-Data, for those who haven't had the pleasure. It says everything that you define "diversity" by nothing more than skin color. Back to the hardware store with you, my tool.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
A quick look at my profile could have answered that. Am I not allowed an opinion if I wasn't born here?

See, the way I figured you out is I looked for an overlying theme (Pittsburgh isn't "diverse", whatever that means. In diversity of thought, which is the only diversity that matters, San Francisco (or Seattle) isn't very diverse at all given the preponderance of trite political slogans on the bumpers of Subaru Outbacks) combined with words and phrases like "my man", "aint", and (shudder, gag) "nabes" and a reliance on smileys. Busted, my man. Busted.
Look at your profile? I honestly don't do that, or try and look at old post that you or anyone else has made, to try and trip you up or them up. I amaze myself sometimes, being able to tell a native Pittsburgh'er from a "transplant" simply by reading a post. I honestly had no idea where you 'hailed' from. Reading your last couple post though, I firgured you weren't a "native" Pittsburgh'er.

Native Pittsburgh'ers have a certain mindset and attitude, that a "transplant" will never be able to duplicate. Just like I knew that "Hopes" wasn't from the 'city' when she commented on the "mafia".

And ya, sure you can make comments on Pittsburgh. But saying Pittsburgh is "diverse" is kinda funny. Or that it's excepting of interracial couples. Allegheny county has the second oldest population in America. Old people are set in their ways, it is what it is. And a lot of their views are passed on down to their kids.

Just accept this, and move on. Pittsburgh has faults like EVERY other city in the world. You seem to have a problem with accepting this for some reason. Transplants sometimes seem like they 'try' harder to defend a city harder than the natives do.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Look at your profile? I honestly don't do that, or try and look at old post that you or anyone else has made, to try and trip you up or them up. I amaze myself sometimes, being able to tell a native Pittsburgh'er from a "transplant" simply by reading a post. I honestly had no idea where you 'hailed' from. Reading your last couple post though, I firgured you weren't a "native" Pittsburgh'er.

Native Pittsburgh'ers have a certain mindset and attitude, that a "transplant" will never be able to duplicate. Just like I knew that "Hopes" wasn't from the 'city' when she commented on the "mafia".

And ya, sure you can make comments on Pittsburgh. But saying Pittsburgh is "diverse" is kinda funny. Or that it's excepting of interracial couples. Allegheny county has the second oldest population in America. Old people are set in their ways, it is what it is. And a lot of their views are passed on down to their kids.

Just accept this, and move on. Pittsburgh has faults like EVERY other city in the world. You seem to have a problem with accepting this for some reason. Transplants sometimes seem like they 'try' harder to defend a city harder than the natives do.
And I can tell trolls that I used to have on ignore (before they got banned) by the way they type. What's your point exactly? I'm so busy defending Pittsburgh against ignorant people with outdated perceptions that I rarely have time to address its faults. Of course it has them. Mostly it's ignorant, hard-headed yinzers like yourself. Again, what's your point? You've failed to address your silly idea of "diversity" being based entirely on skin color, and you wonder why I think you learned that from the media. You make no sense. Pretending to make sense doesn't make you make sense, my man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh