Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 11:20 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times

Advertisements

This article explains the juxtaposition of the historic and suburban housing in black neighborhoods. I live in a similar suburban styled city enclave built for Pittsburgh's growing black populations in the 50's and 60's. One of my sisters lived in Belmar Gardens which is still a nice enclave within the Lincoln Lemington neighborhood.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-middle-class/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 03:53 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I am still hopeful my neighborhood of Marshall-Shadeland can one day gentrify (in our case go from struggling/working-class to overwhelmingly middle-class in nature) while retaining its majority-Black demographics. Most of our neighborhood's businesses (besides Kuhn's, Family Dollar, O'Brien's Bar, and the immigrant-owned and -operated bodegas at Shadeland & Woodland and Brighton & Woods Run) are predominantly black-owned, -staffed, and -operated. During my litter-picking sessions I have befriended many of these fine folks from places like Hysyde Lounge, Cafe on the Corner, Young Brothers Bar, Steel City Sports Bar, etc. I am really hopeful that a person of color considers opening a coffeeshop (we direly need one) in the old Horace Mann School once it's renovated into apartments with ground-level retail space

It seems like in Pittsburgh there are a dearth of neighborhoods within city limits that have a majority-Black population and that are also considered desirable for the middle-class. wpipkins's own neighborhood of East Hills has a desirable SUB-neighborhood where he lives, but by and large most wouldn't consider East Hills overall to be "desirable" due to the violence of the projects there. I am not sure about the demographics in the Western neighborhoods, but Windgap and Chartiers City might have a Black plurality whilst also being desirable neighborhoods (albeit devoid of business districts). Seems like Manchester will become majority-white as it improves, which is a shame. I foresee Perry South/Perry Hilltop also becoming majority-white in the future as they improve. I am still hopeful Marshall-Shadeland can buck that trend and someday be a desirable neighborhood while still being majority-Black.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:01 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
"East Hills" used to include Penn Hills and Verona when I was a kid there. The East Hills Shopping center was fantastic - I bought my first LP at a Sears there.

Old 11-29-2023, 04:24 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
"East Hills" used to include Penn Hills and Verona when I was a kid there. The East Hills Shopping center was fantastic - I bought my first LP at a Sears there.
I remember going over there with my Uncle to redeem Green Stamps.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:37 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The Shopping Center was spread across three municipalities. Pittsburgh, Penn Hills, and Wilkinsburg. Most of the land is Penn Hills but all three share in the tax revenues.

The East Hills “neighborhood” is located in the city of Pittsburgh proper.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:35 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This article explains the juxtaposition of the historic and suburban housing in black neighborhoods. I live in a similar suburban styled city enclave built for Pittsburgh's growing black populations in the 50's and 60's. One of my sisters lived in Belmar Gardens which is still a nice enclave within the Lincoln Lemington neighborhood.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-middle-class/
Thank you very much for the excellent article. We listened to Sir Walter every day at our Tarentum home in the 60s.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:36 AM

162 posts, read 458,483 times
Wow, what a great and informative article - a very inspiring piece to read. Thank you for sharing. My husband and I want to move in the next year and I’ve been looking into Pittsburgh, doing quite a bit of research. So far, I really like what I’ve read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh