Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 01:18 AM

387 posts, read 408,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinkingLizard View Post
Agreed. I think Tomlin is a nice guy, but was really never a good coach. He won the superbowl with Bill Cowher’s players and had a hall of fame QB for 15 years and was only able to win one superbowl. Once the Cowher era, players and coaches left or retired it hasn’t been very good. I mean Cowher left Dick LeBeau as DC and Bruce Arians as OC. Look at the Tomlin appointments after those coaches left.

1. The winning regular season record has more to do with Big Ben at QB than anything else
2. The Steelers have won 3 playoff games in 12 years. That’s the lowest amount of playoff wins over that stretch of time since the AFL NFL merger.
3. I think Tomlin has an issue with hiring coaches that may be smarter.
4. His talent evaluation has been extremely poor in recent memory. His best draft pick ever is Antonio Brown. Most may say Watt, but Watt only plays 100% during pass plays. He gives up on run plays. Each big run for Indy was to Watts side.
5. The culture of this team is lousy. Ever since Dan Rooney handed the keys to Art 2 then passed it was a steady decline. Art 2 is a joke.
6. Tomlins failures hide in plain site. He should send Big Ben half his paycheck the rest of the time he coaches the Steelers for masking coach Ts failures hidden and defended in plain site. Never had a losing season, but only 3 playoff wins in 12 years
I really can't argue with too much there but, I will say this. You could attribute a good deal of wins to Big Ben. However in the second half of his career while he put up big numbers during the regular season he was an even bigger disaster in the playoffs. I always looked at Ben as physically strong but mentally lazy.

From 2004-2011 (playoffs only) To me this was his first act in which he wasn't asked to do as much as the Steelers still had a carryover from the Cowher era ( roster, leadership, culture)

Record 10-4 20/17 tds/ints ratio 1.18-1

So over an eight year span he racked up team goals (deep runs 4 AFC title games / SB victories 2(in 3 appearances). However his SB numbers 3 tds 5 ints Td/int ratio 1 - 1.66.

As an aside 2012 and 2013 was in my eyes was the great purge. Old stalwarts started dropping off either by retiring or getting released. 2 straight back to back seasons without playoff appearances.

2014-2021

Record 3-6 16 tds/11 ints ratio 1.45-1

Over this span he racked up more individual numbers but once the playoffs came he wasn't up to the task ( Poor defense/ Injuries--every team deals with those). For example his last 3 games he racked up 11 tds/5 ints (2.20 - 1 ratio) However with the exception of the KC game ( WATT early td) they were behind by multiple scores usually midway thru the 2nd qtr. Classic stat padding.

Total of 13-10 w/l and 36 tds/28 ints ratio 1.28/1

Ben is a Hall of Famer, no denying that. However when you look at things objectively Ben was just as responsible as Tomlin and maybe even more so. Tomlin is an old school guy at his core and to some extent the game has passed him by which can happen after 17 yrs (no excuses). Also he probably placed a lil too much faith in Ben as he was always a lil slow on picking up schemes/tendencies which led to early turnovers that became early deficits. Imo they're connected at the hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh