Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 1,972 times

Advertisements

So it’s been a decade since the last post asking about this area’s safety. It was improving. So what’s the status now after a decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 08:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Safe area overall. Majority of violent crime in the area is targeted in nature.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:07 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
North Point Breeze is much further along the gentrification timeline than say East Liberty. There's basically no difference between the the areas south of Thomas Boulevard and Point Breeze proper any longer. Intact houses go on the market for $400,000 to $500,000.

The "roughest" area is probably right around the intersection of North Homewood and McPherson, and it's still not bad. It's just not gentrified, because instead of big old Victorians, it's mostly smaller attached housing. It's also right across the tracks from Homewood, of course, though that section of Homewood has also improved a lot, and is now the choice section of the neighborhood (such as there is one).

Old 12-18-2023, 09:23 AM

One thing that kind of...I'm not going to say holds North Point Breeze back, but there are a lot of small apartments there. Not chopped-up houses like you find in East Liberty or Shadyside, but purpose-built 2-4 unit walkups. It pretty heavily limits the amount of houses on the market at any given time.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:04 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
North Point Breeze is much further along the gentrification timeline than say East Liberty. There's basically no difference between the the areas south of Thomas Boulevard and Point Breeze proper any longer. Intact houses go on the market for $400,000 to $500,000.

The "roughest" area is probably right around the intersection of North Homewood and McPherson, and it's still not bad. It's just not gentrified, because instead of big old Victorians, it's mostly smaller attached housing. It's also right across the tracks from Homewood, of course, though that section of Homewood has also improved a lot, and is now the choice section of the neighborhood (such as there is one).
I would not consider any part of Point Breeze "rough". I would consider that area less bougie or even gritty. Rough is Homewood Ave at Frankstown Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fr...lhyb?entry=ttu

Old 12-18-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I would not consider any part of Point Breeze "rough". I would consider that area less bougie or even gritty. Rough is Homewood Ave at Frankstown Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fr...lhyb?entry=ttu
I didn't think it was rough either. That's why I put it in quotes. It was sarcasm.

That area, though (specifically the rowhouses off of Jonathan Street), is undoubtedly the least gentrified area of Point Breeze North.

Simonton Street is arguably blighted, since there's only a few houses left. But I think this has more to do with being directly across from at-grade railroad tracks. Makes it a very noisy place to build a new house, and pretty undesirable. The few houses still back there are in good shape though.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I didn't think it was rough either. That's why I put it in quotes. It was sarcasm.

That area, though (specifically the rowhouses off of Jonathan Street), is undoubtedly the least gentrified area of Point Breeze North.

Simonton Street is arguably blighted, since there's only a few houses left. But I think this has more to do with being directly across from at-grade railroad tracks. Makes it a very noisy place to build a new house, and pretty undesirable. The few houses still back there are in good shape though.
Simonton Street is a back alley afterthought. Jonathan street is about the same. Jonathan houses working class families. The area is not the best but it is comfortable for those living there. The area is close to everything including including the East Busway, Rockwell Park, Bakery Square, East Liberty and Shadyside.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
One thing that kind of...I'm not going to say holds North Point Breeze back, but there are a lot of small apartments there. Not chopped-up houses like you find in East Liberty or Shadyside, but purpose-built 2-4 unit walkups. It pretty heavily limits the amount of houses on the market at any given time.
I think you should say what you feel. I am very transparent. I never edit my comments for the sake of comfort or neutrality. I speak my mind period.

There are generations of black homeowners in Point Breeze. Some have moved back from out of state and are now living in family homes. Most North Point Breeze residents get along harmoniously regardless of race or income. Point Breeze has that in common with Stanton Heights and it has always been this way. I would wager that most residents would not want a gentrifying invasion.

My friend owns his childhood home. It is on the small side but everything is over the top including the imported French doors, fixtures and gold leaf trimmed molding....Amazing. His house pales in comparison to his neighbors HUGE fixer uppers.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4539...8192?entry=ttu

The Lexington Park section of Point Breeze will eventually become a neighborhood. The URA is spearheading this effort and will most likely include black homeowners myself included.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4514...8192?entry=ttu

Old 12-20-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The Lexington Park section of Point Breeze will eventually become a neighborhood. The URA is spearheading this effort and will most likely include black homeowners myself included.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4514...8192?entry=ttu
Yeah. My understanding is unfortunately the residential component is going to be rather small unfortunately (mostly building out new homes along that last block of McPherson) because the core of the Lexington Technology Park has soil too contaminated to use for housing.

There's a ton of underutilized old industrial/warehouse style buildings in the blocks around the Co-op. I feel like this would be a popular area for new development, if they could find some way to build a pedestrian bridge over the rai tracks, allowing access to the Wilkinsburg busway station (which is set to have a major upgrade). Though Homewood Station really isn't far either.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah. My understanding is unfortunately the residential component is going to be rather small unfortunately (mostly building out new homes along that last block of McPherson) because the core of the Lexington Technology Park has soil too contaminated to use for housing.

There's a ton of underutilized old industrial/warehouse style buildings in the blocks around the Co-op. I feel like this would be a popular area for new development, if they could find some way to build a pedestrian bridge over the rai tracks, allowing access to the Wilkinsburg busway station (which is set to have a major upgrade). Though Homewood Station really isn't far either.
Both stations (Homewood and Wilkinsburg) will have major renovations soon. The Wilkinsburg Station will move closer to the original stop. The previous Wilkinsburg Station sat on top of Penn Avenue. I used to enjoy watching the traffic pass underneath the station. The previous Wilkinsburg Station was convenient for local pedestrians. The current station was built to service commuters parking at the new park n ride lot. I am not sure of the Homewood Station plans but it would most likely include the new park and football stadium currently under construction. There is a pedestrian bridge linking the Homewood Park with Westinghouse Park in N. Point Breeze.

The East End Food Coop is a part of the Rockwell Park development. I toured the entire development over the summer. The coffee shop is my new go to. A Fresh International Market will open soon in a beautifully restored building in the middle of the development. The warehouse renovations are just about compete with 3M as the lead / major tenant. Aldi will open further down Penn closer to the Wilkinsburg Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh