Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 09:11 AM

153 posts, read 115,009 times

Advertisements

It’s crazy. I’ve talked to a lot of people (friends/strangers) who live in the Northside the past several months. Not a single person doesn’t love living there. I suppose I would need to find someone who moved away for a different opinion. It also seems that people in the Northside are quite into their neighborhoods with respect to organizations, involvement, etc….is this still the case?

It is interesting what is happening in certain pockets (Manchester, East Allegheny). Seems quite different than ten years ago. Am I wrong about that?

Btw, last time I was in town, I walked from Bloomfield to the Northside. Really get to see things taking it slow. The strip seems to be endlessly expanding towards Bloomfield. I noticed a new building on Liberty…looked like large pricey condos but I could be wrong. I still like walking on Penn Ave much more than Smallman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 09:32 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
It’s crazy. I’ve talked to a lot of people (friends/strangers) who live in the Northside the past several months. Not a single person doesn’t love living there. I suppose I would need to find someone who moved away for a different opinion. It also seems that people in the Northside are quite into their neighborhoods with respect to organizations, involvement, etc….is this still the case?

It is interesting what is happening in certain pockets (Manchester, East Allegheny). Seems quite different than ten years ago. Am I wrong about that?

Btw, last time I was in town, I walked from Bloomfield to the Northside. Really get to see things taking it slow. The strip seems to be endlessly expanding towards Bloomfield. I noticed a new building on Liberty…looked like large pricey condos but I could be wrong. I still like walking on Penn Ave much more than Smallman.
I can only speak for Manchester and for living here less than a year, but people are very vested in their neighborhood even with the issues that are present. Perhaps it's due to past struggles and these are the folks that never gave up. Its a small place, where so many people know each other and have lived here a very long time (three families on my block have been here a combined 90 years!). I joke with them that this place is like a Stephen King movie, once you move in you never leave and never die! My new neighbors are some of the nicest people I have ever lived by. Not knocking my neighbors in Brookline as they were great (at least on one side of my house) but the vibe is just different. Don't get me started on the ladies who run the polling place, talk about amazing. The yearly house and garden tour is a great time to meet folks across all the different spectrums of residents. Some newer folks and some who have been here for decades, all very friendly and welcoming.

My only complaint about living here really isn't a big deal, but we become a parking lot for events at Heinz Field, which is fine as it's public parking, but the way a lot of outsiders treat the area while they are here. They drink outside their cars (some have even set up tailgates) and generally liter the area with beer cans while they walk to games. Like who thinks it is okay to drink on a sidewalk outside someone's front door?

As for different than 10 years ago, I would say it is probably somewhat of a change in the actual neighborhood but most likely due to a change in perception of the area. I am sure at one point it was rough, but I feel like that changed long before the way people perceive it did.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:49 AM

17 posts, read 12,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post

Its almost like the perception of neighborhoods or the city on local media that mostly caters to boomers and scared suburbanites who enjoy not having sidewalks near their homes and living inside of their car is not based in reality and that people who choose to live in these neighborhoods enjoy amenities like a walkable lifestyle, access to coffee shops, restaurants, parks and other small businesses

Old 01-31-2024, 10:30 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
I'll be honest and say when I first moved to Pittsburgh, I found the semi-smug attitudes of Northsiders kind of offputting. Everyone who moved there proselytized it, told me I should move there, said how great it was, etc.

I got over it eventually - I really wish we moved to Central North Side back in 2014 when we had a chance - but when I was a new transplant, it was just weird to me how a lot of folks lauded the area.

Old 01-31-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'll be honest and say when I first moved to Pittsburgh, I found the semi-smug attitudes of Northsiders kind of offputting. Everyone who moved there proselytized it, told me I should move there, said how great it was, etc.

I got over it eventually - I really wish we moved to Central North Side back in 2014 when we had a chance - but when I was a new transplant, it was just weird to me how a lot of folks lauded the area.
Its a great place to live but there is no reason to be smug about it. Pittsburgh has lots of great neighborhoods. I see you're in Morningside which is also wonderful!

Old 01-31-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Could have somewhat of a basis in that when you say you are moving there or that you live there, some folks are like...the North Side and you feel safe? This leads some folks to probably overhype it when talking about it. I get why they do it but I also get why it can come across as off-putting.

That being said, the openness in which some people talk down on where some folks choose to live (or have to live) shocks me. Expressing opinions about if an area would be right for oneself is different than what a lot of folks do by literally telling you your neighborhood is a crime ridden hellscape.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Could have somewhat of a basis in that when you say you are moving there or that you live there, some folks are like...the North Side and you feel safe? This leads some folks to probably overhype it when talking about it. I get why they do it but I also get why it can come across as off-putting.

That being said, the openness in which some people talk down on where some folks choose to live (or have to live) shocks me. Expressing opinions about if an area would be right for oneself is different than what a lot of folks do by literally telling you your neighborhood is a crime ridden hellscape.
Its an insane behavior

Old 01-31-2024, 05:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,377 times
Quote:

Its not just there, when we moved 17 years ago everyone south of the river had attitudes about us even considering living north of the river. I've not really lived this urban before here so maybe just a city thing but yeah I notice more my area is great and anywhere else isn't as good attitudes here.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I have spent a combined 11 hours this week after work picking up litter in Marshall-Shadeland in the areas of California and Marshall Avenues and the 65 NB ramp system. Contractor bag after contractor bag after contractor bag. If North Siders truly love being North Siders, then they have an odd way of showing their love for our city. Areas I canvass look like a wreck again within days.

I really hope this depressing and neglected part of the North Side that includes Marshall-Shadeland and Perry South gentrifies soon so we can have coffeshops and house tours and block parties and civic pride like 90% of the rest of the North Side. It's extremely discouraging to live in one of the only North Side neighborhoods that is consistently being left behind. Our councilor (Lavelle) is useless, too.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I have spent a combined 11 hours this week after work picking up litter in Marshall-Shadeland in the areas of California and Marshall Avenues and the 65 NB ramp system. Contractor bag after contractor bag after contractor bag. If North Siders truly love being North Siders, then they have an odd way of showing their love for our city. Areas I canvass look like a wreck again within days.

I really hope this depressing and neglected part of the North Side that includes Marshall-Shadeland and Perry South gentrifies soon so we can have coffeshops and house tours and block parties and civic pride like 90% of the rest of the North Side. It's extremely discouraging to live in one of the only North Side neighborhoods that is consistently being left behind. Our councilor (Lavelle) is useless, too.
Oh don't worry, its not just your area and you are right about Lavelle. I couldn't even get garbage cans added to Allegheny Avenue, where all the fast food joints are and litter abounds. I know they don't put cans in residential areas, but that is a main commercial corridor with tons of fast food and tons of foot traffic. I watched a man leave his house on Sheffield Street while drinking a bottle of water. When he finished it approximately a half block from his own front door he threw it on the ground.

The litter problem in Pittsburgh and PA is out of control. I cannot tell if people have actually gotten worse or all government entities (and private business owners) have just given up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh