Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 08:19 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
As someone who has worked in Emergency Management for almost 20 years I see no issue with this and applaud anyone being proactive to reduce public risk. Its not like they were calling for 1-2, if we had gotten 6 inches overnight there would have been issues and reducing traffic for emergency response is prudent.

If they didn't do something to try and mitigate the risks then major issues occurred those same people would be complaining on the other side.
I agree.

Pittsburgh has an awful amount of serious inclines. It's called the City of Bridges for a real reason. It doesn't take much for a person to lose control on ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 10:34 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
I was up north at my other place last 2 days including this 'mega storm' as the pitt MSM called it. Friday AM Sharon Stewart (megarock wmkx 105.5) called offr the lists and given the listening area, called from franklin oil city over to clearfield. only the parochials closed really, others that closed still had a modified something in place from the plague.

North Clarion...the district I am in - open and busses! (we got well under 2 inches in an area where people ride snowmobiles you guys got MAYBE an inch)

Down here, Norwin - district THIS place is in - just punted to the online flex schedule still in place from the plague, no instructional days lost, but my kid lost out on a sport game cuz he is the drumist for pep band.

When I was a kid and in school HERE, we closed once, for a couple days in the 1977 blizzard. we had our share of 1-2 hour delays hither and yon, but generally, <3 inches on the roads you mushed to the bus stop because everyone was not wearing girls underwear.

When I drop back down last night down pretty mush 66-28/66-66 to monroevllle ish (for those of you that have even been in the region) I left 'uncle jim' - my truck - in 2wd just cuz I can.

Long story short - is there a lot of whining and helplessness? Yep.

But as someone put forth, if we can minimize risk using mechanisms already in place - why not.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:37 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

. It's called the City of Bridges for a real reason.

Thats cuz of the rivers (mostly) and cricks and washes ;-)

If its an incline, then it means they didnt build a bridge over it.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:28 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Well, I mean it’s not about being “tough” or litigious.

I’m basically about this far from a meltdown in my first real winter. It’s not safe to be out, not kind to expect everybody to be able to take the conditions, and I haven’t decided yet, but I also don’t think it’s moral to obligate people to go places. We aren’t all just born with winter/snow skills, and I’m finding it costs $$$ to get winter gear (particularly because you gotta kinda experiment). My west coaster opinion is that expectations around not shutting down are far too high.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:03 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I was up north at my other place last 2 days including this 'mega storm' as the pitt MSM called it. Friday AM Sharon Stewart (megarock wmkx 105.5) called offr the lists and given the listening area, called from franklin oil city over to clearfield. only the parochials closed really, others that closed still had a modified something in place from the plague.

North Clarion...the district I am in - open and busses! (we got well under 2 inches in an area where people ride snowmobiles you guys got MAYBE an inch)............
We rarely got snow days sixty plus years ago, and that was back when, truthfully, the roads weren't plowed or treated all that well (although cinders were still being used).

North Clarion: that school district spreads from just outside Shippenville to almost Tionesta down to Cooksburg to over past Fryburg. It's huge even by Pennsylvania standards. And the roads are "interesting" even in good weather.

The rule at the glass plant was if a storm hit during your shift you stayed until people could get in, involuntary overtime.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:38 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Around 15-20 years ago when my kids were in school, I remember a day the local school district did not cancel school and the weather was pretty bad. A woman wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper complaining about the non-closing. She ran for school board and won in the next election. It seemed that schools started to err on the side of caution. I don't really see it being a big deal. Students still go the same number of days. Snow days are built into the schedule and additional days are added at the end of the year.

Back when I was school over 50 years ago, we didn't have 2-hour delays. I think they are a good idea. It gives road crews time to clear the roads and superintendents time to decide if they will cancel. But we didn't have many snow days in the 1960s/early 70s.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:50 PM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
If your school is in your neighborhood, roads are not a problem. Kids can walk to school. The consolidation of schools makes bussing, and roads, a problem in the snow.

Low temperatures are another problem. I was in 3rd grade when it went down to -18F one day in January. We went to school, walked home for lunch and returned for the afternoon. We lived. No frostbite. I guess many kids today wouldn't.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:04 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
If your school is in your neighborhood, roads are not a problem. Kids can walk to school. The consolidation of schools makes bussing, and roads, a problem in the snow.

Low temperatures are another problem. I was in 3rd grade when it went down to -18F one day in January. We went to school, walked home for lunch and returned for the afternoon. We lived. No frostbite. I guess many kids today wouldn't.
There is no residence in my town more than 200 feet from a bus stop yet parents still bundle their high school kids into the car, drive them to the stop and then wait until the bus picks them up. In the afternoon the process is reversed. HIGH SCHOOL kids.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:33 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There is no residence in my town more than 200 feet from a bus stop yet parents still bundle their high school kids into the car, drive them to the stop and then wait until the bus picks them up. In the afternoon the process is reversed. HIGH SCHOOL kids.
I drive by numerous houses every morning where the parents drive their child to the end of the driveway and wait for the bus. Typical distance is around 100 feet.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:49 PM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I drive by numerous houses every morning where the parents drive their child to the end of the driveway and wait for the bus. Typical distance is around 100 feet.
They wrapped us up in snowsuits, hats, scarves, gloves, boots and sent us on our way. No skin showing except our eyelids.

The old drafty houses back then were poorly insulated and the windows were ridiculous. It was freezing inside too, so we had a tolerance for cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh