Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2024, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,183 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if streets around the West Penn Hospital in Bloomfield are safe, and if there is a lot of noise (sirens, etc) and foot traffic. The corner of Gross St and Liberty Ave would be an example. I'm interested in a house near there, but as I'm out of state, I don't know what to expect. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 06:16 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Bloomfield overall is a very safe area in terms of low violent crime. The worst you might have to deal with is people rifling through your car if you leave it unlocked or porch thieves. When I lived in the neighborhood, I was further west than that, and not close to the hospital, so I can't speak to sirens, unfortunately.

Liberty Ave is a busy commercial corridor, but it gets quiet very quickly on the back streets, where few people who aren't local residents would bother to venture. Indeed, the road network is such a weird tangle (particularly south of Liberty) that few folks even bother driving through.

It's a great neighborhood to live in and explore on foot. Provided you have found a house that meets your qualifications, I'd say go for it.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:43 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Nice place to visit but way too trafficky for my tastes. Lots of good restaurants though. Bloomfield used to have a great movie theater as well until Starbucks took over. I'd say you're within walking distance of the Strip District as well. And Church Brew Works. Any other areas you're interested in?

Old 02-01-2024, 09:03 PM

Thank you for responding! The house has unfortunately has just been rented already. I'm looking at the usual suspects: Bloomfield, Friendship, and Shadyside. I wish Bloomfield had a grocery store, or even a convenience store and coffee shop, nearby, though! I currently live in an old Italian neighborhood in another city and would like to continue the tradition. Is the nearby area west of Liberty (North Oakland?) generally safe? I'd most like to be a few blocks from a coffee shop (not Starbucks, sorry Starbucks) and a store to get essentials if needed (basic food items, band-aids, toilet paper, that sort of thing).

Old 02-02-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihavehiccups View Post
I wish Bloomfield had a grocery store, or even a convenience store and coffee shop, nearby, though!
Bloomfield has a grocery store, at the moment, since there's the Shur-Save still. Though it is planned to be closed soon, and the plan to replace it with a new Giant Eagle with apartments above has been temporarily defeated due to NIMBY opposition. There's the Aldi if you live closer to Friendship as well. Actually, two Aldis.

Regarding convenience stores, there's the Rite-Aid, and IIRC the tobacco outlet has junk food and the like. Plus Bloomfield has a green grocer (Linea Verde) and a bakery. And besides Starbucks it has Yinz Coffee.

Quote:
Is the nearby area west of Liberty (North Oakland?) generally safe?
You'll need some more specificity here, because I have no idea what this means. I think you're talking about the areas past Liberty as you head downtown/into the Strip. That area is kind of a no-man's land between Bloomfield and Lawrenceville.

Everywhere in this section of the city is safe. Maybe you'd have some issues if you moved to Garfield up closer to the top of the hill, but even that area is gentrifying.

Quote:
I'd most like to be a few blocks from a coffee shop (not Starbucks, sorry Starbucks) and a store to get essentials if needed (basic food items, band-aids, toilet paper, that sort of thing).
That's not hard to get in this section of the city.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:32 AM

Thank you! Sorry, I meant the area west of Liberty, between the bridge and Baum, and east of the busway. Orwell Way or Cypress St, for example. Realtors' assessments of neighborhoods can be wonky!

Old 02-03-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Sorry, I meant the area west of Liberty, between the bridge and Baum, and east of the busway. Orwell Way or Cypress St, for example. Realtors' assessments of neighborhoods can be wonky!
I used to live on Orwell Way. That area is unquestionably Bloomfield - the most Bloomfield part of Bloomfield. North of Liberty can be more debatable where Bloomfield ends and Friendship begins though, with some folks arguing everything east of Gross is actually Friendship.

The only part of Bloomfield sometimes considered North Oakland is this little pocket neighborhood on the far side of the Busway.

Old 02-06-2024, 03:26 PM

63 posts, read 55,184 times
You will get grumpy old Italian-Americans making sarcastic comments at you. That is the biggest risk you will face along that stretch of Liberty Ave. and adjacent roads.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:24 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliEverIsAHero View Post
You will get grumpy old Italian-Americans making sarcastic comments at you. That is the biggest risk you will face along that stretch of Liberty Ave. and adjacent roads.
LOL, what a load of BS stereotype. That's like saying some grumpy Polish person will harass you in Polish Hill with some kielbasa links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh